U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

5,661 posts, read 2,310,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I remember this not too long ago on "What would you do?" I would have stopped him and I hope most people would too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnB8D65nPE
That video is terrible. Everybody in it, is clearly acting. That said, it makes a good point about how common this problem is. I can't even count how many times I've seen stories about drunk school bus drivers.

I think it's a big enough problem that every school bus driver should be required to take a breathalyzer test before starting their shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

10,189 posts, read 7,031,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That video is terrible. Everybody in it, is clearly acting. That said, it makes a good point about how common this problem is. I can't even count how many times I've seen stories about drunk school bus drivers.

I think it's a big enough problem that every school bus driver should be required to take a breathalyzer test before starting their shift.
How about install a Ignition Interlock Device in each school bus? Problem solved...

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

19,118 posts, read 13,988,486 times
Quote:
This is what happens when you contract out school bus service to the lowest bidder, who in turn hire minimum wage bus drivers.

It actually happens along all career paths and economic levels. From lawyers, cops, pilots etc

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

21,769 posts, read 17,223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why? What purpose would that serve?

She...was...gassed! I can't believe her behavior went unnoticed when she checked in at the bus station that day. Coworkers, other bus drivers, her supervisor... wth, none of them were the wiser about her thirst for the grape and/or grain? It took a ten-year-old child to turn her in?!

Be very afraid if you have kids riding the bus. Adults who enjoy drinking will cover for other adults who enjoy drinking. They'll pretend they don't see it. "Not my problem". "Somebody should do something about her".
That dangerously frightening day didn't happen all of a sudden and out of the blue. Adults knew. And they knew for a long time, but did nothing to stop it.

That's society today. Our school administrators will terminate a child who bites a pop tart into the shape of a pistol, but turn their heads to drunken bus drivers.
This is why I think drug testing gives such a false sense of security. And only tells you what people do on their own time. There is no test for alcohol, and that is probably the easiest thing to sneak at work. Iíve never worked anywhere where we had a problem with someone being high at work, but Iíve had a couple of jobs where they had to confront someone for drinking.

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

4,000 posts, read 2,086,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is why I think drug testing gives such a false sense of security. And only tells you what people do on their own time. There is no test for alcohol, and that is probably the easiest thing to sneak at work. Iíve never worked anywhere where we had a problem with someone being high at work, but Iíve had a couple of jobs where they had to confront someone for drinking.
Agreed. It's not enough.

Every bus driver should be given a breath-a-lizer test before boarding his or her bus, and also tested randomly during the day.

Maybe the public should demand a new creation of federal or state jobs. I'd love to drive around and pull over random bus drivers all day. Cops, EMTs, cab drivers, pilots too. How about having the authority to enter random hospitals to test the medical staff too? Make them all blow through the tube.

The only ones who would fear this are those who drink on the job.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Agreed. It's not enough.

Every bus driver should be given a breath-a-lizer test before boarding his or her bus, and also tested randomly during the day.

Maybe the public should demand a new creation of federal or state jobs. I'd love to drive around and pull over random bus drivers all day. Cops, EMTs, cab drivers, pilots too. How about having the authority to enter random hospitals to test the medical staff too? Make them all blow through the tube.

The only ones who would fear this are those who drink on the job.
Actually other people would object too, because that’s very intrusive and I don’t think it goes according to the constitution. Maybe not the breathalyzer so much but definitely random testing all day seems too Big Brother to me. There are a million people in jobs that affect the public, are you going to test them all, all day long? Aside from that, it would add a huge expense to school budgets which are already getting voted down as they are by people who don’t want higher property taxes.

You’re never going to eliminate all of these things all the time. Just trying to crack down hard on things does not work. I don’t really want to live in an authoritarian state. The more freedom you have, the more risk you have to accept. The only way to be safe is to give up all freedom.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of drug testing and how people think it keeps them safe. All it really test for his pot, I just because a person test positive for pot does not mean they would drive and smoke. All the harder drugs and alcohol are out of your system long before the drug test. All you have to do is up abstain for a few days and meth, heroin, crack are all gone.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

7,466 posts, read 2,704,861 times
Quote:
This is what happens when you contract out school bus service to the lowest bidder, who in turn hire minimum wage bus drivers.

I don't know about your school district, but in our school district, the bus drivers are in a union, and they're making well above minimum wage. Well above.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

[quote=Sassybluesy;56308533]I don't know about your school district, but in our school district, the bus drivers are in a union, and they're making well above minimum wage. Well above.[/QUOTE

Bus services are contracted in most NJ districts now.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Actually other people would object too, because thatís very intrusive and I donít think it goes according to the constitution. Maybe not the breathalyzer so much but definitely random testing all day seems too Big Brother to me. There are a million people in jobs that affect the public, are you going to test them all, all day long? Aside from that, it would add a huge expense to school budgets which are already getting voted down as they are by people who donít want higher property taxes.

Youíre never going to eliminate all of these things all the time. Just trying to crack down hard on things does not work. I donít really want to live in an authoritarian state. The more freedom you have, the more risk you have to accept. The only way to be safe is to give up all freedom.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of drug testing and how people think it keeps them safe. All it really test for his pot, I just because a person test positive for pot does not mean they would drive and smoke. All the harder drugs and alcohol are out of your system long before the drug test. All you have to do is up abstain for a few days and meth, heroin, crack are all gone.
It wouldn't require "testing people all day." It would be random testing, in random places, at random times, which means workers would never know if the tester might show up that day. We have random drug testing and fingerprinting in many jobs. No one screams about it violating the Constitution.

Something is very wrong when people start screaming "Big Brother!" when we attempt to discuss ways to better protect children from adults who harm them.

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Bus drivers out here are actually paid quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or