U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:25 AM

362 posts, read 100,392 times

Advertisements

Y'all are making fuss about, well, nothing.

As a 14-yr old, I used to take a public bus home (75-90 minute ride) with a driver that was publicly known to drink. You couldn't not smell it when buying a ticket.

However, he always drove very slow - like around 30mph. The ride was always very comfortable and uneventful, if slower.

BTW, he never had an accident - so it's entirely possible for an alcoholic, to be fully functioning yet safe.

He has literally been driving the route safer than others (who didn't drink but drove aggressively and were braking like crazy resulting in passengers being thrown around the bus...)

Actually, the drive was so soothing, that I preferred to come in half an hour sooner than needed, so I could take a seat and doze off. There were buses that left half an hour after him (but taking shorter route), yet arrived 15-30 minutes before him (though, those rides were pretty rough).

There are different levels of alcoholism - he for example used to take one shot before the drive and was good for 2 hours. That's not bad. In 4 years of high school, I never saw him wasted. Ever. Also, he never drank during the drive!

So, it's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:38 AM

21,769 posts, read 17,223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post

As a 14-yr old, I used to take a public bus home (75-90 minute ride) with a driver that was publicly known to drink. You couldn't not smell it when buying a ticket.

However, he always drove very slow - like around 30mph. The ride was always very comfortable and uneventful, if slower.

BTW, he never had an accident - so it's entirely possible for an alcoholic, to be fully functioning yet safe.

He has literally been driving the route safer than others (who didn't drink but drove aggressively and were braking like crazy resulting in passengers being thrown around the bus...)

Actually, the drive was so soothing, that I preferred to come in half an hour sooner than needed, so I could take a seat and doze off. There were buses that left half an hour after him (but taking shorter route), yet arrived 15-30 minutes before him (though, those rides were pretty rough).

There are different levels of alcoholism - he for example used to take one shot before the drive and was good for 2 hours. That's not bad. In 4 years of high school, I never saw him wasted. Ever. Also, he never drank during the drive!

So, it's all relative.

This lady was sloshed.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

7,466 posts, read 2,704,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This lady was sloshed.

Sloshed, and reckless and crazy.

Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This lady was sloshed.
I just watched the vid, but it's unclear if it's the alcohol, given the anti-anxiety meds she mentions - the rambling certainly isn't an offence in itself (even if weird).

I wonder what the general rule of a school district is if you start taking meds after you become the driver. I suspect you're supposed to voluntarily resign, given that meds result in same DUI as if you were drinking.

Good luck with enforcing that...

Of course, a psychiatric cocktail is not a good idea when driving a school bus, no argument about that, especially given the unstable state of mind...

Now, IF (and that's an IF) she actually did run 3 red lights, that's a whoooole different ballgame...

Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sloshed, and reckless and crazy.
Now, now. We have to draw the line somewhere.

If we locked up every reckless and crazy person, more than half of country would be behind bars...

That being said, a big bus, unlike some small Toyota, can become a loaded weapon of mass destruction in hands of somebody who just lost his sh*t...

The term DUI/DWI is very ambiguous. It should differentiate if somebody is merely drunk or under meds - e.g. should be DUM (meds).

Old Today, 12:21 PM

3,745 posts, read 2,065,748 times
Quote:
Now, now. We have to draw the line somewhere.

If we locked up every reckless and crazy person, more than half of country would be behind bars...
Driving a school bus? Yeah, that's a good place to draw the line. No drunks allowed! They don't have to be behind bars, just not behind the wheel.

Old Today, 01:08 PM

22,996 posts, read 15,027,755 times
Quote:

So, it's all relative.
It is not all right for a drunk or buzzed person to drive school children to or from school.

Old Today, 06:51 PM

22,996 posts, read 15,027,755 times
Quote:
There are many hours off between dropping kids off and picking them up.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or