U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:43 AM

1,222 posts, read 295,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
With all the thousands of visitors each week we find one person who apparently walks off the boardwalk and falls into the hot spring.
People love to wring their hands over how stupid everyone supposedly is, but you hint at the reality - the vast majority of people don't do this.

There are over four million visitors to Yellowstone National Park each year. Assuming only 1% are complete and irredeemable idiots, that's 40,000+ such idiots annually visiting the park. And even most of them manage to avoid wandering into thermal features, get attacked by the wildlife, or fall off a cliff.

Even with considerable idiocy being displayed, it usually also takes a healthy dose of bad luck for things to really go awry. And that reinforces foolish behavior among the unwise - because they see others walking off the boardwalk or getting too close to the bison or leaning our over the gorge for that killer pic of the falls below, think they can do it, too. And they probably can, so they roll the dice.

And occasionally, they roll snake eyes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 AM

1,260 posts, read 711,198 times
We were stunned at Yellowstone to see kids running or skipping well ahead of their parents on those wooden boardwalks, right above bubbling hot springs. One stumble and there is a tragedy.

We also saw visitors go right up to bison, chattering loudly, to get a photo of themselves petting this huge animal. It was crazy.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:20 AM

6,588 posts, read 3,751,412 times
Half of us are below average.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 8,645,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes I wonder if he will survive. I can’t imagine the pain he has suffered.

We don’t know anything about this guy. People do stupid things all the time. But I don’t understand what he was doing outside at night, drunk, around a hazardous place he doubtless was not familiar with.

We see variations of this frequently in Kentucky's rugged, mountainous Red River Gorge (in the Daniel Boone National Forest), when young out-of-state campers/partiers heed nature's call after several too many beers, and walk off abrupt 100+ foot cliffs in the middle of the night, despite signs and verbal cautions from rangers registering campers. The cost of recovery to local search and rescue squads is quite steep.

Not to mention the fires left or set by careless campers or arsonists, which are presently burning over 125 acres of the beautiful gorge...during a drought and a burn ban, with present temps in the high 90s this week. This feels like the Great Smokies fire of 2016 all over again...

Old 10-02-2019, 01:04 PM

23,057 posts, read 15,062,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[/b]
We see variations of this frequently in Kentucky's rugged, mountainous Red River Gorge (in the Daniel Boone National Forest), when young out-of-state campers/partiers heed nature's call after several too many beers, and walk off abrupt 100+ foot cliffs in the middle of the night, despite signs and verbal cautions from rangers registering campers. The cost of recovery to local search and rescue squads is quite steep.

Not to mention the fires left or set by careless campers or arsonists, which are presently burning over 125 acres of the beautiful gorge...during a drought, with present temps in the high 90s this week. This feels like the Great Smokies fire of 2016 all over again...
The beautiful Columbia Gorge was scarred by wildfire two years ago that was started by a young teen throwing firecrackers in a state park, during a drought and burn ban. So, yeah.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 8,645,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
We were stunned at Yellowstone to see kids running or skipping well ahead of their parents on those wooden boardwalks, right above bubbling hot springs. One stumble and there is a tragedy.

We also saw visitors go right up to bison, chattering loudly, to get a photo of themselves petting this huge animal. It was crazy.
I saw a grandma leave her car on the loop road and drag her two preschool grandsons towards a mama bear with two cubs in Cade's Cove, in the Great Smokies National Park, a few years ago. Other visitors yelled at her to get herself and the kids back in the car but she ignored them.

But when mama bear defensively started towards grandma, she grabbed one child and left the other to run after her back to their car. Thankfully, no young'uns, be they bear or human, were hurt in the encounter, which I reported to the first ranger I saw.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 PM

892 posts, read 288,420 times
I bought a book while staying at Yellowstone called a thousand and 1 ways to die in Yellowstone. All true stories. I bet that guy won’t live. We saw people chase bison.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 PM

9,930 posts, read 6,551,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/ma...rnd/index.html

A man who apparently had been drinking, walked off the boardwalk around Old Faithful at night, and fell into a hot spring. He sustained severe burns, and is now in critical condition. He might be charged if the Park LE finds evidence that he caused damage.

The article is a short read.

Anyone who has ever been to Yellowstone knows that there are signs all over the place stating STAY ON THE BOARDWALKS!!! The crust is VERY thin

Play STUPID games, win STUPID prizes!

Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Status: " Narrow minds should come with closed mouths" (set 15 days ago)

2,997 posts, read 1,367,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I bought a book while staying at Yellowstone called a thousand and 1 ways to die in Yellowstone. All true stories. I bet that guy won’t live. We saw people chase bison.
Two things that I want to do: Visit Yellowstone and read that book I looked up the book and it's on my wish list for the holidays; I love true stories.

That's absolutely crazy that people would follow bison closely let alone chase them but then again people get up close with bears to take selfies so I suppose nothing should surprise me. Our main issue here is people driving drunk off piers and going into Lake Erie and drowning, waiting until there is a storm warning and then going out onto the lake in a small craft or going in the lake when there is a red flag warning and they are not a very good swimmer. Nothing as exotic as chasing wild animals though.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 PM

23,057 posts, read 15,062,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think that book was in my motel room, and I read it. Or, I read another book like it. It was an eye opener.

We saw people stalking a lone bison. He had entered woods, and people were trying to find him. I kept thinking, “Why don’t they leave the guy alone?” We also saw cars pulled over, and people watching herds of bison. They seemed to keep a safe distance though. We pulled over a couple of times ourselves. But I did not want to get too close. And I've seen bison before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or