U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

22,996 posts, read 15,027,755 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/us/ma...rnd/index.html

A man who apparently had been drinking, walked off the boardwalk around Old Faithful at night, and fell into a hot spring. He sustained severe burns, and is now in critical condition. He might be charged if the Park LE finds evidence that he caused damage.

The article is a short read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

26,893 posts, read 63,945,867 times
This apparently happen with some frequency. Enough that they warn you about it in brochures and on signs. Usually they die. This guy might be considered lucky at least by some people.

"Let's see here i am going to walk down a steep, wet, slippery slope to get right next to a pool of 200 degree water. I knew I would have a good idea today!"

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

30,511 posts, read 28,119,392 times
With all the thousands of visitors each week we find one person who apparently walks off the boardwalk and falls into the hot spring. Seems this person needed to rethink his actions and avoid entering an area of danger during that time of day or with his conditions of drinking or not. Visitors need to assume their own personal responsibilities and avoid stupid actions.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

There was a quite a discussion about a previous story I posted. Two guys walked up to the Old Faithful cone and took pictures! There was some skepticism about various things in the story. This story is a bit of commentary about that skepticism.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,366,976 times
Yellowstone is unforgiving to the foolish or unwary.

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

9,374 posts, read 9,470,753 times
Default You Not in Disneyland, Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yellowstone is unforgiving to the foolish or unwary.
Indeed. I can cite other examples in the past of people who have fallen into a hot springs there and been burned badly enough to die.

I think there is a certain mentality that fails to respect nature and views national parks (perhaps all of the outdoors) as a sort of natural Disneyland. I repeatedly hear stories about people swept over waterfalls in parks like Yosemite, attacked by bison, mauled by bears, or who fell off cliffs because they were trying to take a "selfie". Heaven knows, we don't hear about all the near accidents that almost occurred because of these "risk takers".

If you look around the national parks, rangers have put up signs that attempt to warn visitors about almost all these dangers. Generally, anyone injured or killed in this fashion has done so because they ignored such a warning.

Anyone visiting the national parks needs to respect the dangers that are present there. If you can't follow simple rules, than stay away.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

8,509 posts, read 5,230,146 times
Speaking of the foolish and unwary...

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

5,567 posts, read 3,214,046 times
The greatest challenge for park rangers is the incredible stupidity of some visitors.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Indeed. I can cite other examples in the past of people who have fallen into a hot springs there and been burned badly enough to die.

I think there is a certain mentality that fails to respect nature and views national parks (perhaps all of the outdoors) as a sort of natural Disneyland. I repeatedly hear stories about people swept over waterfalls in parks like Yosemite, attacked by bison, mauled by bears, or who fell off cliffs because they were trying to take a "selfie". Heaven knows, we don't hear about all the near accidents that almost occurred because of these "risk takers".

If you look around the national parks, rangers have put up signs that attempt to warn visitors about almost all these dangers. Generally, anyone injured or killed in this fashion has done so because they ignored such a warning.

Anyone visiting the national parks needs to respect the dangers that are present there. If you can't follow simple rules, than stay away.
Yes, and it is not just in national parks. People stand out on rocks over the ocean and get swept away in sneaker waves. I have seen foreign students hanging out over a waterfall in WA State, laughing and taking pics. The state ranger did not see them. People will venture out close to the edges of viewpoints and canyons, even when fenced off.

Why this happens, I donít know. In this case of falling into spring, alcohol was involved.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

7,947 posts, read 3,397,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
With all the thousands of visitors each week we find one person who apparently walks off the boardwalk and falls into the hot spring. Seems this person needed to rethink his actions and avoid entering an area of danger during that time of day or with his conditions of drinking or not. Visitors need to assume their own personal responsibilities and avoid stupid actions.
In a way, there was only one "stupid action" taken. Drinking in public until your brain isn't working. After that point, no one can or will rethink, assume, or avoid much of anything, safe or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or