U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 PM

628 posts, read 331,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if it was rats would you feel differently?
if it was pigeons would you feel differently?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

21,792 posts, read 17,238,054 times
Quote:

i am not defending or justifying the action, it is not right.
however i remember meeting someone from there and they said kangaroos are like rats there, considered pests and rodents
I wouldnít feel differently. I donít think theyíre like rats, probably closer to geese or deer thereís just too many of them. This guy did not do this because it was over populated or as some twisted public service though, he did this just to be a jerk.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,259,131 times
Quote:

however i remember meeting someone from there and they said kangaroos are like rats there, considered pests and rodents
I wondered about that as well. I've heard the same thing. It appears the teen did this in one night. How often do you find twenty of the same animals in the road in one night? Sometimes you'll find herds of deer, but if you see that many in one night, they are considered a nuisance to the area and a danger. The locals usually want them gone because of the damage they do. I suspect this kid may be of that mindset.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM

4,869 posts, read 6,847,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I wondered about that as well. I've heard the same thing. It appears the teen did this in one night. How often do you find twenty of the same animals in the road in one night? Sometimes you'll find herds of deer, but if you see that many in one night, they are considered a nuisance to the area and a danger. The locals usually want them gone because of the damage they do. I suspect this kid may be of that mindset.

There are many ways that are more humane to get rid of a nuisance animal than to mow them down with a truck. These were mothers with babies as they said a few joeys lived.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

9,636 posts, read 8,058,388 times
At least it wasn't people, and he didn't use a semi-automatic rifle or any other gun.

I have to wonder, though, how would the animal rights activists feel if he had got hold of some DDT and wiped out a million mosquitoes or cockroaches?
How about rabbits? (Remember, they carry disease)

Where should one draw the line; THIS is acceptable, THAT isn't!
Why should there even BE a "line"?

Come to think of it, the line is often blurred! I have seen people in vehicles deliberately swerve to hit raccoons and cats (but seldom, if ever, dogs). They justify this behavior by saying "They kill birds!". Yes, that's true, but they also kill disease carrying mice, voles, rats, etc.

Where is YOUR line?

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

21,792 posts, read 17,238,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
There are many ways that are more humane to get rid of a nuisance animal than to mow them down with a truck. These were mothers with babies as they said a few joeys lived.
Yes there wasnít a community minded bone in this personís body. Aside from that this is a very rural area and I donít think that many kangaroos in one area are uncommon. When I drive down the Atlantic City Expressway they will be a dozen deer off on the side of the road eating grass. If a truck drives off the road and start running them over for the next hour Iím not gonna say oh thank you for making the roadway safer Iím gonna be going to psychiatry to get the images out of my head.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

12,599 posts, read 18,738,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
At least it wasn't people, and he didn't use a semi-automatic rifle or any other gun.

I have to wonder, though, how would the animal rights activists feel if he had got hold of some DDT and wiped out a million mosquitoes or cockroaches?
How about rabbits? (Remember, they carry disease)

Where should one draw the line; THIS is acceptable, THAT isn't!
Why should there even BE a "line"?

Come to think of it, the line is often blurred! I have seen people in vehicles deliberately swerve to hit raccoons and cats (but seldom, if ever, dogs). They justify this behavior by saying "They kill birds!". Yes, that's true, but they also kill disease carrying mice, voles, rats, etc.

Where is YOUR line?
Huh???? This is not the Orkin man at work here! No, there is no comparison or "line" or blurring of the line. Absolutely not. You have to look at intention - his intention clearly wasn't "pest control", but carnage and violence. "semi-automatic rifle" is irrelevant, not sure why that's even mentioned unless you have another agenda. The weapon could be anything, in this case it was a vehicle.
Most mass-murderers start by torturing and killing small animals.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

908 posts, read 213,163 times
Quote:

They do damage to farms and a farmer can apply for a permit to cull them.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

11,117 posts, read 5,202,319 times
Quote:

No I would not feel any different. My son's friend used to keep his snake in our garage. He put a mouse in there one day but the snake wasn't hungry so the mouse was cowering in the corner. Guess who adopted it, bought it a house and a little friend?

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

204 posts, read 114,761 times
This is how serial killers get started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events