U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2019, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,303 posts, read 1,012,083 times
Reputation: 3934

Advertisements

What kind of monster would go on a killing spree like that? Did a kangaroo once kill someone he loved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2019, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Here
1,205 posts, read 293,740 times
Reputation: 4395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if it was rats would you feel differently?
if it was pigeons would you feel differently?

i am not defending or justifying the action, it is not right.
however i remember meeting someone from there and they said kangaroos are like rats there, considered pests and rodents
And you believed that? The ubiquity with which the kangaroo appears as a symbol of Australia embraced by Australians somehow escaped your notice?

Think for just a moment. The Australian coat of arms displays a kangaroo. The Australian dollar coin features kangaroos. Australia's national airline features a kangaroo in its logo. Numerous Australian national sports teams feature kangaroo mascots. The kangaroo is prominent in Australian promotional materials aimed at tourists.

Does that sound even remotely analogous to a rat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 06:41 PM
DKM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
3,279 posts, read 1,136,932 times
Reputation: 3075
I also know people from Oz and hunting roos at night with a pickup truck was not unusual in farm country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
 
12,599 posts, read 18,741,943 times
Reputation: 20203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if it was rats would you feel differently?
if it was pigeons would you feel differently?


i am not defending or justifying the action, it is not right.
however i remember meeting someone from there and they said kangaroos are like rats there, considered pests and rodents
Australia has a complex relationship with it's 'roos. Indeed in some area there is overpopulation and herds or tribes are "culled". This is controversial however, many don't like it, but the animals do eat up crops, etc. However, it is heavily regulated, there is a quota, you need a license, tests in marksmanship in order to take a 'roo humanely, you need to document each one killed and report it regularly to the authorities, you need to harvest the body for it's meat and obviously "clean up" after each kill. Regardless, many Australians are against the practice.

Obviously what this guy did was no relation to any act or intention of "pest control" - doing this on city streets with a vehicle to crush or bludgeon an animal, leaving dead and dying animals writhing in pain on peoples front lawns the next morning. Even those who believe in the need of culling are incensed. No I would not feel differently if it was rats or pigeons were killed in this manner, no normal person would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,718 posts, read 6,621,139 times
Reputation: 12887

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-LmRNdQiQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
 
Location: SWFL
23,254 posts, read 19,675,056 times
Reputation: 22043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I've always liked that song. Started humming it immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,525 posts, read 41,693,974 times
Reputation: 30525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
He needs to be locked up for a very long time.

I disagree, I think he needs to be put down, animal cruelty seems to be a common denominator of future serial killers.

EDIT: While I may have been a bit harsh, it makes me wonder just how a civilized society should deal with someone like this and just how accurately certain aberrant behaviors predict future behavior.?

Last edited by burdell; Yesterday at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
 
Location: SWFL
23,254 posts, read 19,675,056 times
Reputation: 22043
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I disagree, I think he needs to be put down.
That was my first reaction but another hope is Oz prisons are nothing like the country clubs we call prisons here. I would like him to suffer. Being put down does nothing to make one suffer. It's actually too easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,525 posts, read 41,693,974 times
Reputation: 30525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That was my first reaction but another hope is Oz prisons are nothing like the country clubs we call prisons here. I would like him to suffer. Being put down does nothing to make one suffer. It's actually too easy.

Ever heard of Rikers Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,840 posts, read 1,045,287 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if it was rats would you feel differently?
if it was pigeons would you feel differently?


i am not defending or justifying the action, it is not right.
however i remember meeting someone from there and they said kangaroos are like rats there, considered pests and rodents
I have visited Australia, and this is sadly true. In fact, they sell Kangaroo testicles as souvenirs. And this really upsets me because the animals are native to this country, and it's what makes Australia so interesting and neat. Not the people, but the unique animals that have made the continent it's home, and it's sad people are just throwing them away like garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
This is how serial killers get started.
Australia was a dumping ground for England's convicts for a while, so I won't be surprised if some of those immoral genes have made it's way from generation to generation.

Last edited by warhorse78; Yesterday at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top