U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:08 AM

19,109 posts, read 21,103,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hmmmm, the comparisons going on reminds me of what I once read of a Greenland seal hunter, probably in the 70s, and what he said about seals.

"To you, he is something cute and cuddly; to us, he is like cattle.".
While I don’t agree with hunting seals, this kid killed the kangaroos just to kill them. There was no hunting for fur, or starvation. This was killing animals for the sake of killing. That’s the disturbing part of this. He just mowed them down. No reason. They weren’t attacking him. He wasn’t defending himself. We aren’t talking about a bug. As far as killing snakes or frogs it’s still the type of behavior that serial killers display.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 10-05-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 09:15 AM

11,706 posts, read 7,214,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
While I donít agree with hunting seals, this kid killed the kangaroos just to kill them. There was no hunting for fur, or starvation. This was killing animals for the sake of killing. Thatís the disturbing part of this. He just mowed them down. No reason. They werenít attacking him. He wasnít defending himself. We arenít talking about a bug. As far as killing snakes or frogs itís still the type of behavior that serial killers display.
Perhaps his punishment should be more geared toward therapy.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:30 AM

10,435 posts, read 5,738,534 times
Quote:
While I donít agree with hunting seals, this kid killed the kangaroos just to kill them. There was no hunting for fur, or starvation. This was killing animals for the sake of killing. Thatís the disturbing part of this. He just mowed them down. No reason. They werenít attacking him. He wasnít defending himself. We arenít talking about a bug. As far as killing snakes or frogs itís still the type of behavior that serial killers display.

Maybe.

We aren't there, we do not know what the attitude in that region is about the animals. It is sort of like when a boytoy offered to me to go shoot coyotes on his land.....and then leave them where they lie. To me, that is wasteful but as he explained, they were parasite ridden animals of worthless hide and leaving them there provided meals for other wildlife.

Like the Greenland Eskimo, like the rancher boytoy (never dated him), and maybe like this situation, we are strangers in their lands.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:38 AM

21,860 posts, read 17,266,415 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, the comparisons going on reminds me of what I once read of a Greenland seal hunter, probably in the 70s, and what he said about seals.

"To you, he is something cute and cuddly; to us, he is like cattle.".
They aren’t killed for fun though they use them for livelihood. It’s hardly comparable to running them down for an hour because you’re bored.

If you don’t know their attitudes toward animals you can read the comments by locals and police officials, all of whom are upset and want the book thrown at this kid. The sheriff said he will face “the full brunt of the law” which for animal cruelty has much heftier penalties and punishments than U.S. animal cruelty laws. Now you know how they feel about their animals.

And again this was a nice suburban neighborhood just like any nice suburb here. People had bloodied animals writhing and dying on their manicured front lawns. There is no culture I can think of where people wouldn’t be outraged by this.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:25 AM

5,305 posts, read 4,760,474 times
Wow, just wow.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:56 AM

10,435 posts, read 5,738,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They arenít killed for fun though they use them for livelihood. Itís hardly comparable to running them down for an hour because youíre bored.

If you donít know their attitudes toward animals you can read the comments by locals and police officials, all of whom are upset and want the book thrown at this kid. The sheriff said he will face ďthe full brunt of the lawĒ which for animal cruelty has much heftier penalties and punishments than U.S. animal cruelty laws. Now you know how they feel about their animals.

And again this was a nice suburban neighborhood just like any nice suburb here. People had bloodied animals writhing and dying on their manicured front lawns. There is no culture I can think of where people wouldnít be outraged by this.

Did anyone noted in the article say anything different?

Not looking for a defence of my point but given the bias of US news sources, I question the situation when everyone speaking speaks in only one direction.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:02 PM

21,860 posts, read 17,266,415 times
Quote:
Did anyone noted in the article say anything different?

Not looking for a defence of my point but given the bias of US news sources, I question the situation when everyone speaking speaks in only one direction.
So look up an Australian news source. There is plenty of quotes from Australians in the US media stories including that of Australian police. And again several people have quoted verbatim the Australian animal cruelty penalties which are much much harsher than those in the US. So that should give you some indication how they feel about their animals.

If you ask that gentleman you talked about with the seals, how he would feel if he went to their area to discover that some kids on snowmobiles had run over dozens of seals for sport, I’m sure he would say he would want the book thrown at them as well. It’s really kind of insulting to Australians to imply that they wouldn’t care about such a situation. Just because people make a livelihood from animals does not mean they want to see them treated cruelly.

And again this was not some remote area with native locals, it was a suburban neighborhood.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:38 PM

16,781 posts, read 6,635,999 times
Quote:
That’s serial killer behavior. I ay screw jail time. As punishment I would put him in a cage with 20 male kangas during mating season.
That's basically what a kangaroo court is. The outcome is known with certainty in advance of the trial.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:23 PM

1,178 posts, read 436,018 times
[quote=ContraPagan;56337361]Tasmania, to be exact. Originally it was called Van Dieman's Land, until 1856. The song Black Velvet Band makes reference to it.[/QUOTEYe

Yes, Tasmania was a penal settlement but Sydney was the original one. It is true that Sydney was founded as a convict settlement in 1788. Some of the most difficult were sent to Tassie. I am descended from three convicts.

So perhaps we can be proud that overall we have evolved into a very successful and overall peaceful country in a relatively short time. A country where now half the population were born overseas or have a parent born overseas.

A country where mowing down innocent wildlife is a serious crime. Yes, kangaroos are culled but that is controlled by relevant government agencies. There is even a lot of controversy about culling deer in the Royal National Park near Sydney. Deer are an imported specie which do a lot of damage to the native environment but animal lovers cannot abide the thought of them being removed.

I find it a bit unpleasant that people would think that the fact that some of us are descended from convicts would result in an acceptance of animal cruelty.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:52 PM

16,781 posts, read 6,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Tasmania, to be exact. Originally it was called Van Dieman's Land, until 1856. The song Black Velvet Band makes reference to it.
Yes, Tasmania was a penal settlement but Sydney was the original one. It is true that Sydney was founded as a convict settlement in 1788. Some of the most difficult were sent to Tassie. I am descended from three convicts.

So perhaps we can be proud that overall we have evolved into a very successful and overall peaceful country in a relatively short time. A country where now half the population were born overseas or have a parent born overseas.

A country where mowing down innocent wildlife is a serious crime. Yes, kangaroos are culled but that is controlled by relevant government agencies. There is even a lot of controversy about culling deer in the Royal National Park near Sydney. Deer are an imported specie which do a lot of damage to the native environment but animal lovers cannot abide the thought of them being removed.

I find it a bit unpleasant that people would think that the fact that some of us are descended from convicts would result in an acceptance of animal cruelty.
Read my response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What a horrible, obnoxious statement! I took the trouble to read The Fatal Shore, a book about Australia's history. It is a complex, rich history that a lot of a**holes don't bother to learn before making dumb statements. And by the way I am a New Yorker with no Aussie roots other than a love of Slim Dusty and Jimmy Barnes. And who has learned the first two verses of "Advance Australia Fair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events