Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 AM

6,418 posts, read 9,732,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
At least it wasn't people, and he didn't use a semi-automatic rifle or any other gun.

I have to wonder, though, how would the animal rights activists feel if he had got hold of some DDT and wiped out a million mosquitoes or cockroaches?
How about rabbits? (Remember, they carry disease)

Where should one draw the line; THIS is acceptable, THAT isn't!
Why should there even BE a "line"?

Come to think of it, the line is often blurred! I have seen people in vehicles deliberately swerve to hit raccoons and cats (but seldom, if ever, dogs). They justify this behavior by saying "They kill birds!". Yes, that's true, but they also kill disease carrying mice, voles, rats, etc.

Where is YOUR line?

I'm not an animal activist in any shape or form. I cannot wait to visit my friend in Texas and go shoot wild hogs with him.

I would not participate in running a truck over them though, that's asinine to even compare your scenario to what really happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:55 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,176,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
At least it wasn't people, and he didn't use a semi-automatic rifle or any other gun.

I have to wonder, though, how would the animal rights activists feel if he had got hold of some DDT and wiped out a million mosquitoes or cockroaches?
How about rabbits? (Remember, they carry disease)

Where is YOUR line?
Roaches and mosquitos carry disease so kill all you want. Everything else no unless it's to defend your life.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 16 days ago)

34,474 posts, read 16,559,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia...022952460.html

Why? What kind of subhuman does this? I just don't understand someone deliberately hurting or killing a living breathing creature for pleasure.
He should be tried in a "kangaroo court."

Old 10-03-2019, 02:06 PM

50,155 posts, read 35,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
They are.

If anything, his council or state's government might give him a bounty, the sensationalist Amerikan mass media get something to spoon-feed the complacent bunny-hugging masses (and sell a few cell phones and cans of Coke in the process), the Amerikan complacent bunny-hugging masses get to barf their ignorant "lock-em-up-for-life-ask-questions-later" emotional vitriol all over the Internet (and buy a few cell phones and cans of Coke in the process), everybody goes home happy.

I don't know why you think "bunny hugging" is unique to America. Australia's animal cruelty laws are much harsher than ours, and they are mad at this guy. Go read the comments under some of the stories from Australians. They hug their bunnies, too, despite your obvious attempt to shame us as "Amerikan" slowflakes. People like you who think cruelty is okay are in the minority both here and over there.

"We take incidents such as these very seriously and anyone who engages in activities such as these will face the full brunt of the law," Chief Inspector Peter Volf said in a statement"

The maximum penalty for an individual convicted of cruelty to animalsis $266,900 or 3 years imprisonment under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001. There are also offences for severeanimal cruelty under the Criminal Code Act 1899 which have a maximum penalty of 7 years imprisonment.

Sounds like they are going to charge him with the "severe" code.

This was a suburban neighborhood. People woke up to dead kangaroos all over their lawns. They have sanctioned kangaroo culling, done with a license and humanely, with a shotgun. Deer are allowed to be shot here too, but you're not allowed to just run the herd down with a truck.

All the American media stories I've seen are wire stories taken directly from Australian news sources. But don't let facts change your bias.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:15 PM

50,155 posts, read 35,812,657 times
Quote:
Well, okay, there's that. Though I'm not sure what your bolding multiple instances of "penalty", "cruelty" and "animal" was meant to prove, other than perhaps to make someone who likes bolding their words feel better.

Bunny hugging is most prevalent in Amerika because of the pervasiveness of the Amerikan sensationalist commercial ma$$ media using fear and anger to sell commodity product. To deny it is to deny reality.

I've made my point, now I'm done with this thread.

I copied and pasted it, it was already bolded like that. I actually just changed it before I read your post.

You are ignoring facts. The American stories are wire stories from Australia. The Australian news media made a much bigger deal about this than the American media has. But like I said, don't let facts cloud your bias.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,768,940 times
Quote:
They are.

If anything, his council or state's government might give him a bounty, the sensationalist Amerikan mass media get something to spoon-feed the complacent bunny-hugging, social justice warrior masses (and sell a few cell phones and cans of Coke in the process), the Amerikan complacent bunny-hugging, social justice warrior masses get to barf their ignorant "lock-em-up-for-life-ask-questions-later" emotional vitriol all over the Internet (and buy a few cell phones and cans of Coke in the process), everybody goes home happy.
How wrong can you be? Well let's see, you maybe won an award:
1.) News was reported by AFP - Agence France-Presse an international news agency headquartered in Paris, France
2.) Quote from article from citizens in New South Wales: ""It was a very unpleasant sight, Police see an awful lot of things, but you could see that they were shocked as well." and from WIRES - an australian wildlife rescue group ""horrified" by the "apparent act of cruelty". Australian police are obviously pressing charges.

Yups - you won the award of most ill-informed post of the day.

Quote:
Probably a good idea to save further embarrassment.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,253,496 times
Originally Posted by Ttark

More like you "made up your point".

Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,169,063 times
I'm hoping he gets plowed by bubba repeatedly

Old 10-03-2019, 04:30 PM

16,096 posts, read 10,253,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if it was rats would you feel differently?
if it was pigeons would you feel differently?

i am not defending or justifying the action, it is not right.
however i remember meeting someone from there and they said kangaroos are like rats there, considered pests and rodents
Do you realize you are using a line from a Nazi in Inglorious Bastards as he justified the extermination of the Jews? I believe he used rats vs squirrels or something like that.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:45 PM

127,937 posts, read 11,801,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Roaches and mosquitos carry disease so kill all you want. Everything else no unless it's to defend your life.
No to killing mosquitoes en masse. they feed birds & bats, & I do not like to upset the eco system. However if they come inside my home, they are history, but that is only one or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events