Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM

29,459 posts, read 22,438,538 times

Advertisements

Sad, but the only language bullies understand is violence directed back at them, not 'love' and attention.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...150327893.html

Quote:
A California middle school student died Tuesday after suffering injuries from an on-campus attack last week, officials reported.

According to CBS Los Angeles, the victim — who was identified by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department as only a 13-year-old named Diego — was punched in the face on Sept. 16 by two boys at Landmark Middle School, causing him to fall over and hit his head on a concrete pillar. The attack was caught on video by a bystander using a cellphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:10 AM

102,099 posts, read 107,250,308 times
"...the two 13-year-old boys...will face prosecution for the attack". Manslaughter, rather than "mere" assault, I hope..

Old 09-27-2019, 07:25 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,332,794 times
This story is local for me, and I actually teach middle school students right now.

The first time I saw the clip I was not only shocked and dismayed, I was also infuriated. The newsreaders had the nerve to characterize it as a fight. No, this was clearly an assault, an attack on an innocent child just standing there. He never raised a hand to strike back. Now he's dead, and his family must deal with the emotional vacuum the unexpected and permanent loss of their loved one has caused. The two attackers have been in juvvie ever since, and now they must learn to comprehend that their actions caused someone to die. They ended the life of a 13 year old child, and over what? Their parents must come to terms with the fact that their children have committed the most violent, most unforgivable act against another child. The person filming the attack must now mentally synthesize their choices, memorializing a homicide instead of helping a classmate avoid a lethal assault.

So many lives permanently altered for this one act.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:41 AM

23,829 posts, read 33,355,576 times
I'm happy to know you got the job! Big congrats from me. If they were going to hire someone, it would be you with such a great background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This story is local for me, and I actually teach middle school students right now.

The first time I saw the clip I was not only shocked and dismayed, I was also infuriated. The newsreaders had the nerve to characterize it as a fight. No, this was clearly an assault, an attack on an innocent child just standing there. He never raised a hand to strike back. Now he's dead, and his family must deal with the emotional vacuum the unexpected and permanent loss of their loved one has caused. The two attackers have been in juvvie ever since, and now they must learn to comprehend that their actions caused someone to die. They ended the life of a 13 year old child, and over what? Their parents must come to terms with the fact that their children have committed the most violent, most unforgivable act against another child. The person filming the attack must now mentally synthesize their choices, memorializing a homicide instead of helping a classmate avoid a lethal assault.

So many lives permanently altered for this one act.
My heart really breaks for everyone. That was a sucked punch to me for sure.

We parents or grandparents of kids really need to show our kids and grand kids this video and tell how it ended, saying it could be them if they do stupid bully stuff. I was jumped by about 4 girls in high school. So this punch really affected me. I couldn't even comment to you for a few hours after seeing the original video then reading your reply.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:06 PM

609 posts, read 261,951 times
Bullying is an epidemic.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 933,163 times
Landmark Middle School has had a bullying and fighting problem for quite a while according to some news reports (KTLA, L.A. Times, and others). Bullying and violence have almost become the culture at Landmark Middle. The school district has put security officers in place but the situation continues. Parents have had enough and are beginning to consider taking civil action.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:48 AM

30,533 posts, read 18,015,833 times
If the two boys are being charged (in California), I assume that they are US Citizens and not illegal immigrants? Forgive my cynicism, but we know what it is.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 933,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The person filming the attack must now mentally synthesize their choices, memorializing a homicide instead of helping a classmate avoid a lethal assault.
I like to think the person capturing it on video thought that was the fastest, most immediate, and best possible evidence he/she could come up with right then without endangering themselves. But yes, they might be thinking about their choice for a long time.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:20 AM

55 posts, read 22,661 times
Why is Yahoo categorizing this news story as entertainment?

Because humanity (in America) has lost its moral fabric and then its moral compass.

And is brain damaged by decades of unmitigated trauma.

Adults are bullies. Kids are hellions. America's a graveyard.

https://youtu.be/sS0d6M112Ow?t=2m29s

Old 09-30-2019, 06:34 AM

19,597 posts, read 9,139,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalHell View Post
Why is Yahoo categorizing this news story as entertainment?
GREAT QUESTION! I think that Yahoo has some explaining to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Landmark Middle School has had a bullying and fighting problem for quite a while according to some news reports (KTLA, L.A. Times, and others). Bullying and violence have almost become the culture at Landmark Middle. The school district has put security officers in place but the situation continues. Parents have had enough and are beginning to consider taking civil action.
Also, for those who are curious, the following lists the demographics of the school. Serious question: I wonder if that has anything to do with the bullying?

https://www.greatschools.org/califor...hool/#Students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events