Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,236,377 times

Advertisements

That's just the kind of depravity that occurs among the barbarous dregs of society. Drugs are usually involved, and I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think all of it has to do with the fact that it was a lot easier to get away with in the past.

i was recently talking about a similar issue with my wife and friends. my wife was watching a show on serial killers and they noted that you dont have nearly as many today as you did in the past. its just harder to get away with serious crimes now with DNA evidence and other means. the government is tracking us all at all times and while i dont think they use it for small crimes, they use it for more serious crimes.
Yes I agree everything was easier to get away with in the past. But did people have, I'm not sure what word or words, the disassociation, mental illness, lack of empathy, addiction, evilness to want to get away with it in times past as they seem to do today. Even in the past there would be a body or missing child.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:46 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Sad, that poor boy was probably treated like a piece of dirt, for a long time leading-up to being murdered.

The type of nightmarish crime goes on, across the globe, thousands of times a day........hardly uncommon.

People who hit-up reality-based video-websites know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes I agree everything was easier to get away with in the past. But did people have, I'm not sure what word or words, the disassociation, mental illness, lack of empathy, addiction, evilness to want to get away with it in times past as they seem to do today. Even in the past there would be a body or missing child.
From a biological perspective there seems to be a psychological backing to the introduction of a new spouse and the "elimination" of the previous relationships children, particularly young men. Since males are the heirs, men would need to eliminate the competition for their own offspring. Its not right but it is certainly a biological component.

From a historical perspective, the offspring of previous relationships were very often shipped off to other family members and/or disinherited so as not to interfere with the "new" family. It would not be entirely uncommon for a family to send their older sons to "foster" in another household while also fostering children themselves. Seems simpler to keep your own children in your home, but perhaps it was dangerous??

The evil stepmother trope did come from somewhere.

So Im not sure if it was more common to kill your children or stepchildren historically but murder has been outlawed for a pretty darn long time and when children disappear it would not only be noticed by others, it would or could be detrimental to the household where every set of hands would have been needed to care for the house/farm/land/make money.

It definitely seems that not only is it more prevalent, its also more depraved. For example people are abusing their children, which seems to have been happening since the beginning of time. But tying children to a chair and burning them with cigarettes? Cutting their genitals as punishment? Sodomy as punishment? beating them with chains and hammers? That all seems more like a psychological sadist type person who genuinely enjoyed hurting people.

Perhaps in the past if a man or woman did that to their child, someone would intervene and arrange for another family member to care for their child. Maybe people are too hands off with other peoples children now?Family discipline has always been a family matter, but abuse and protecting children hasnt always been as isolated as it now

Old 03-02-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I didn't see anything about counseling? She's in jail on a million dollars bail.

I do wonder why CPS removed ONE of her children, and not all of them. Under what circumstances would a mother be such a bad mother that CPS removed the child from her care, but decided the others were not in danger?
Our child protective services is about useless like many of our government departments.
They need to have some accountability for the welfare of these children they are suppose to be protecting.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
It definitely seems that not only is it more prevalent, its also more depraved. For example people are abusing their children, which seems to have been happening since the beginning of time. But tying children to a chair and burning them with cigarettes? Cutting their genitals as punishment? Sodomy as punishment? beating them with chains and hammers? That all seems more like a psychological sadist type person who genuinely enjoyed hurting people.
are you just talking from what is in your head as things perceived to be happening more now or is there some data? i dont feel like there are a greater number of depraved acts presently than in the past. i know it happens but it seems to be far from common.

i did a little look at murder data and it seems the rate was low in the 50's and peaked in the 70's and 80s and then started dropping again to where it was prior to the 70's. but i dont know enough about the data to really use it.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:02 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I...am without words.....

That little boy just wanted to be with his mom. He had no idea what was going on. As a mother....it just breaks my heart...I hope she does get the death penalty.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:05 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are you just talking from what is in your head as things perceived to be happening more now or is there some data? i dont feel like there are a greater number of depraved acts presently than in the past. i know it happens but it seems to be far from common.

i did a little look at murder data and it seems the rate was low in the 50's and peaked in the 70's and 80s and then started dropping again to where it was prior to the 70's. but i dont know enough about the data to really use it.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ect-in-the-us/

This is only from 98 to 2019 but (excepting a spike during the depression) it is definitely on an upward trajectory. I fear 2020 will be even worse with children trapped in their homes with their abusers.

https://americanspcc.org/child-abuse-statistics/

Child abuse and neglect deaths have a different track than murder in general. And I find it particularly heinous myself

Old 03-02-2021, 11:10 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its seems these type stories just keep coming. It use to be a very rare occurrence. I remember when I was a little kid my dad telling me a ghost story about a couple who had killed their children and buried them in the yard. I was horrified more than scared.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how common it is becoming for parents to harm/kill their children or how they could ever do such things.
yes - and I still can't convince my sister that not all parents love their kids unconditionally. She thinks once one becomes a parent the love for the child is automatically there.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - and I still can't convince my sister that not all parents love their kids unconditionally. She thinks once one becomes a parent the love for the child is automatically there.
She must lead a sheltered life.
Even if children are not abused they are sometime just not loved as a child should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events