Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 02:40 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
If I recall correctly, this thread was mostly about the cost of technical college or community college and its application in the real world and also the amount of student loans needed to acquire a two year degree. That being the case, I don't see the relevance of higher math or Masters Degrees and stuff like that.

It's all well and good that some people got an advanced math degree and used some of it in their profession, but that's not the matter under discussion. I also agree that problem solving skills are important in lots of jobs, but being a beautician, chef, plumber, or service technician doesn't typically require that level of problem solving. None of those jobs typically involve the solving of quadratic equations or simultaneous equations. Nor will they typically need to solve for the cosine of an angle or prove the Pythagorean theorem.

I just went back over the thread to see why the convo changed to math. I had made a comment that college students end up taking required courses like math that have nothing to do with their degree. RamenAddict said because math doesn't apply until it does when the person has to do budgeting.

Getting back to the topic. The whole college system needs to be looked at from what colleges require students to take in order to get their degree to how many loans a person should be allowed to take out so that people do not get maxed out like this woman did. She is not alone with big student loans because the student loan deficit is in the billions. I know another person like her that got one degree then decided she didn't like it, she went back to learn how to do something with autopsy reports and in the end, ended up having a daughter who's very sick due to a genetic disorder called Chiari Malformation so she couldn't work. If having one sick kid wasn't enough, I told her 10 years ago not to have more kids because they'd all probably have the illness, she had 3 more kids who are all sick. My daughter and grandson have it too.

She had about $100k in loans that have grown over time. It was because of her that I started following student loan debt. I even signed up to get emails from a group that has been trying to get student loans discharged on bankruptcies just so I can keep up with it. You'd think they would branch off to try to help students be responsible when taking out loans. They're more interested in just zeroing them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 09:17 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just went back over the thread to see why the convo changed to math. I had made a comment that college students end up taking required courses like math that have nothing to do with their degree. RamenAddict said because math doesn't apply until it does when the person has to do budgeting.

Getting back to the topic. The whole college system needs to be looked at from what colleges require students to take in order to get their degree to how many loans a person should be allowed to take out so that people do not get maxed out like this woman did. She is not alone with big student loans because the student loan deficit is in the billions. I know another person like her that got one degree then decided she didn't like it, she went back to learn how to do something with autopsy reports and in the end, ended up having a daughter who's very sick due to a genetic disorder called Chiari Malformation so she couldn't work. If having one sick kid wasn't enough, I told her 10 years ago not to have more kids because they'd all probably have the illness, she had 3 more kids who are all sick. My daughter and grandson have it too.

She had about $100k in loans that have grown over time. It was because of her that I started following student loan debt. I even signed up to get emails from a group that has been trying to get student loans discharged on bankruptcies just so I can keep up with it. You'd think they would branch off to try to help students be responsible when taking out loans. They're more interested in just zeroing them out.
Yep. It seems that some people can't see that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

People have a much better chance of getting out of quicksand with a little help if they're only ankle deep instead of waiting until they're neck deep in the muck.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
According to the court document in the article, she spends every month
  • $112.51 on entertainment for her grandson, who has autism
  • $140 on cigarettes and alcohol
  • fast food two to three times per week

She doesn't work in the health care field either because "life events" made it "too traumatic" or she would have to take a refresher course in the state of Nebraska.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:22 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Agreed. The students, upon graduating, should serve a state-designated community for five years at a reduced paycheck. Live there. Work there. Serve the taxpayers who fathered their education before they're allowed to move to another state or country.

We must demand some sort of accountability. It needs to be put up for discussion.
Geezuz... 5 years of indentured servitude for going to college? Does that only apply to kids who took out student loans or to all students? (let me guess kids whose parents can write a check for tuition to Harvard are exempt)

Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Geezuz... 5 years of indentured servitude for going to college? Does that only apply to kids who took out student loans or to all students? (let me guess kids whose parents can write a check for tuition to Harvard are exempt)
Its really not a bad idea. Consider it a 5 year (i think 3 would be better) paid internship. Then the graduate has a guaranteed job when finished with school, the 3 or 5 year job would be experience for the resume, which many graduates don't have.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:10 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
I wonder how other countries (Canada, European nations, Asia, etc.) manage the college experience? It's gotta be better than us.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:35 AM

765 posts, read 621,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I wonder how other countries (Canada, European nations, Asia, etc.) manage the college experience? It's gotta be better than us.
Many countries have low or no tuition costs. The US certainly has one of the highest, if not highest, college expenses.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Even if students are responsible, it cost a lot of money to get certain degrees today. My field, occupational therapy cost me about $40,000 to get a degree in when I graduated in 96. Now it requires a Masters, and the cost of something like $150,000. And salaries have actually decreased over the last few years, not risen. My company gave everyone across-the-board a 10% pay cut last week. I’m making what I made 15 years ago. But if you go onto the professional organization website, or the school website, you will not find anything about that in fact it still says it’s one of the top 10 rising jobs in the country which is not the case at all.PT now requires a doctorate, so that cost even more and they are going through the same issues with pay cuts, low demand in some settings, etc. I feel very badly for new grads.

There is a thread on the retirement forum, asking for people to give examples of things from their past that show how old they are. One man said he had a part-time jobabd paid for a four year degree by doing that. That is not possible to do today even at state schools. The cost of a college degree has skyrocketed over the past 20 years, which necessitates all these loans.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:32 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
I remember when I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's, jobs at fast food joints (McDonald's, Burger King, Sonic, etc) were for the most part filled by high school kids looking to make some extra spending money. Then they graduated high school and moved on. Now these jobs seem to have become bona fide careers in some respects.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:15 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
Many countries have low or no tuition costs. The US certainly has one of the highest, if not highest, college expenses.
Becoming a doctor in Canada won't set you back anything close to what it does in the US... Probably not even 10%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events