Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 08:56 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Cleatus and Virginia were around back in the day too. Kids back in the day did stupid things too. There's nothing dumber about this generation than any other.
There have always been stupid people. Now the percentage is just WAY WAY higher than before.

To be fair like others have posted I also done a lot of stupid stuff as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
It's a shame, but kids have always done risky, dangerous and stupid things and some wind up dead. Same goes for adults.
Yes, but instead of only hearing a couple things from a handful of friends, now they can learn about thousands of horrible dares from millions of stupid kids they don't even know and don't even care.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:03 PM

50,708 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
There have always been stupid people. Now the percentage is just WAY WAY higher than before.

To be fair like others have posted I also done a lot of stupid stuff as a kid.
I don't think the percentage is higher. But back then you wouldn't have heard if Jack in Alabama died playing hide and seek in an old refrigerator and died, or if Jimmy in Tuscaloosa died because he was standing in the back of his friend's pickup truck while his friend raced through a field and hit a bump, or Gary died sniffing airplane glue, or Sam jumped off the roof holding an umbrella (as a poster here did, but luckily didn't die).

The challenges are akin to A Christmas Story, " an internet version of "I triple, double-dog dare you" kind of thing, which resulted in Ralphie's tongue being stuck to a pole.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:19 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
I don't think the percentage is higher. But back then you wouldn't have heard if Jack in Alabama died playing hide and seek in an old refrigerator and died, or if Jimmy in Tuscaloosa died because he was standing in the back of his friend's pickup truck while his friend raced through a field and hit a bump, or Gary died sniffing airplane glue, or Sam jumped off the roof holding an umbrella (as a poster here did, but luckily didn't die).

The challenges are akin to A Christmas Story, " an internet version of "I triple, double-dog dare you" kind of thing, which resulted in Ralphie's tongue being stuck to a pole.
I base the percentage being higher on people I know. I am friends with many doctors, lawyers, and business owners. They all have small families.

I owned a construction company for most of my adult life. The lower wage workers who for the most part have low wage jobs because of lack of intelligence had several kids, many of them with several different people.

Does this hold true with people you know in real life?

Old 04-03-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I base the percentage being higher on people I know. I am friends with many doctors, lawyers, and business owners. They all have small families.

I owned a construction company for most of my adult life. The lower wage workers who for the most part have low wage jobs because of lack of intelligence had several kids, many of them with several different people.

Does this hold true with people you know in real life?
That was the case years ago too, in fact more so because school wasn’t even required by law and many rural families had kids who only went through 6th grade or less. There was less nutrition in poor communities, less health care, no pre-natal care, no such thing as early intervention to catch kids up who have delays. Low intelligence people have been reproducing since the beginning of time. But I think on average IQs have risen over time overall, with the advent of all those things I mentioned above.

How many stupid stunts have followed the words “I dare you?” , through how many decades? I once watched a kid snort an entire Oreo, crushed up, at a party on a dare, and that was one of the lesser stunts.

Why would a 12 year old think a stunt is dangerous when he’s watched 1340 people do it on Tik Tok before him and not have any problems? I don’t think it makes him a low intelligence person. Foresight is not something most 12 year olds have, and it is something that comes from maturity and experience, not IQ points.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:27 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:

Why would a 12 year old think a stunt is dangerous when he’s watched 1340 people do it on Tik Tok before him and not have any problems? I don’t think it makes him a low intelligence person. Foresight is not something most 12 year olds have, and it is something that comes from maturity and experience, not IQ points.
And that is why it is essential that parents take parenting seriously.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:06 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
When I was 10 years old, all I cared about was action figures and cartoons.

Jeezus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tiktok-bl...130000454.html
I thought TikTok had reached an apex of stupidity with the “Benadryl Challenge” which led to a number of deaths, but it's seems not.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
And that is why it is essential that parents take parenting seriously.
I don’t think there’s any reason to think they didn’t. You can’t keep your kid under surveillance 24 hours a day.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:48 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
And this is our future....Wtf

Old 04-05-2021, 10:04 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was stunned one day as I listened to a co-worker gently talk his kid through putting his sports uniform in the washer and turning it on because dad had forgotten. He was talking to him, telling him step by step so slowly, I was thinking it must be hard to be such a little guy and have to try to run the washer for the first time. I asked, after he hung up, how old was his little boy? Answer:......17! I laughed my head off. At 12, I washed, dried, folded, and put away my own laundry, as well as helping or doing every household chore we had when needed. At 15, I took care of my younger brother, got him up and off to school, and made sure homework was done, cooked dinner, did the wash, washed the dishes and cleaned the house, etc, for a week while my parents were out of town. Most kids today are relatively helpless.
I had my kids doing their own laundry as young teens. They all had jobs during their high school and college years, as well. Part of my child rearing strategy was to raise self reliant, resourceful adults. You can’t do that if you don’t insist they learn basic life skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events