Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Thank you, he bikes because he wants to, not because he has to.
In my retirement this is my reason to cycle. I don't have to I just like the freedom and fresh air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In my retirement this is my reason to cycle. I don't have to I just like the freedom and fresh air.

now thats a good reason tight...

Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
No other reason needed.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I bet he brought it up probably because of a prevelant attitude that I have also seen on my own team and some of the more hard core of the cycling club riders where if you didn't make a ride because the weather was horrible, you're just weak or a slacker, and you will hear about it on the following Sunday recovery ride. That was very different than how you wanted it to be.

Yup. After pages and pages of us saying exactly why being out in the snow, rain, and excessive humidity is a bad idea, having people repeat the "well, *I* do it and don't mind it" stuff is simply insulting and condescending. It's friggin' constant from bicycle riders wanting to clear the roads of cars. And it's going to be met with just that sort of hostility IN RETURN.

If YOU want to bike, then go ahead. But the "well *I* don't mind (the weather/snow/rain)" line IS and always has been condescending, even if it's the first time *you* used it.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Yup. After pages and pages of us saying exactly why being out in the snow, rain, and excessive humidity is a bad idea, having people repeat the "well, *I* do it and don't mind it" stuff is simply insulting and condescending. It's friggin' constant from bicycle riders wanting to clear the roads of cars. And it's going to be met with just that sort of hostility IN RETURN.

If YOU want to bike, then go ahead. But the "well *I* don't mind (the weather/snow/rain)" line IS and always has been condescending, even if it's the first time *you* used it.
I don't know a single cyclist that would ever dream of "clearing the cars from the road". No, not one............

All any cyclist wants is to ride without fear of getting hit or killed by some stupid driver. All cyclist want is..........TO SHARE THE ROAD WITH CARS SAFELY.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The part you are not getting is that cities in Netherlands are same size as cities in USA, and the Dutch do not ride their bikes to Italy. They don't even ride them from Groningen to Maastricht, which is about as far as Cleveland to Niagara Falls. The Dutch have cars, about the same per capita as UK, but they supplement their cars with bike for local traffic, and there is no empirical evidence that it's doing the nation any harm. Since they don't depend on haughty swagger for self gratification like we do.
I have family in Holland. Direct family, not second and third removed. Aunts and Uncles and cousins.

The Dutch don't take mass transit and ride bikes all over their "cities" and "country-side" b/c they want to.

You can't compare Holland to a country where there is free will.

Quote:
Please stop applying shallow all-or-nothing mentality to the issues addressed in the thread.
Please stop using Holland as an example of anything that would remotely work in a country like the US.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
I don't know a single cyclist that would ever dream of "clearing the cars from the road". No, not one............

All any cyclist wants is to ride without fear of getting hit or killed by some stupid driver. All cyclist want is..........TO SHARE THE ROAD WITH CARS SAFELY.
All any normal person driving a car wants is to not have to break for the morons riding side-by-side...let alone by themselves during rush hour.

The roads in the US aren't built for cars to SHARE with bikes. Bikes are a means of recreation, not transportation in the US.

Haul your hobby to the park or some trail to play. Go ride around a cul-de-sac for 3 hours and stop making those who drive cars crap their pants when you think you own the road and hit a rock or come upon a deer that's been laying on the soft shoulder for a few days...and swerve OUT and rely on ME to watch your azz.

I'm always shaking my head at the morons in their tights and bright yellow jackets riding along like they have some right to interfere with something that could send them a few hundred yards in the air and break more than a few bones.

Get your hobby on where it's safe for EVERYONE and stay OFF of the road while you're pretending you're a 2 ton car.

When US roads are built for cars to share with bikers? Fine. Great.

Until then? Stick to parks and trails or neighborhoods. Stay off and far away from busy roads that have CARS driving on them.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
All any normal person driving a car wants is to not have to break for the morons riding side-by-side...let alone by themselves during rush hour.

The roads in the US aren't built for cars to SHARE with bikes. Bikes are a means of recreation, not transportation in the US.

Haul your hobby to the park or some trail to play. Go ride around a cul-de-sac for 3 hours and stop making those who drive cars crap their pants when you think you own the road and hit a rock or come upon a deer that's been laying on the soft shoulder for a few days...and swerve OUT and rely on ME to watch your azz.

I'm always shaking my head at the morons in their tights and bright yellow jackets riding along like they have some right to interfere with something that could send them a few hundred yards in the air and break more than a few bones.

Get your hobby on where it's safe for EVERYONE and stay OFF of the road while you're pretending you're a 2 ton car.

Until then? Stick to parks and trails or neighborhoods. Stay off and far away from busy roads that have CARS driving on them.
And then there are these morons.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Not a very polite open minded response at all. Cyclist DO have a right to road space because all are taxpayers just like other vehicle drivers

If your post reflects your true attitude towards anyone not in as car then your state needs to revoke your ability to drive anywhere because you ARE as road hazzard.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

First, no one said we want to clear the road of cars. The "I don't mind" line is NOT condescending if the bicyclist doesn't mind, if he can bike in that weather; he probably doesn't mind. What IS condescending is calling anyone who choses to go out in bad weather stupid or "fake macho".

It seemed like from the beginning of the post people were looking to find the most difficult scenarios for bicyclists and then arguing that bicyclists wasn't practical ever. Given when someone calls what I do either impossible, impractical, or stupid it's not unreasonable for me to give an example saying I can do it in these conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling