U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 PM
PDD

5,963 posts, read 6,267,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Not a very polite open minded response at all. Cyclist DO have a right to road space because all are taxpayers just like other vehicle drivers
Wait a minute not true.
I have three vehicles that I pay highway use tax every year in my property taxes to the state of NC. I have three registrations that I pay every year, I have liability ins. that I pay every year. Every time I fuel up I pay road use tax.

I have three bicycles and I pay nothing, no road use tax, no registration, and no insurance.

Why should I have to share roads with bicyclists that pay nothing to maintain them?
Talk about unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:44 PM

110 posts, read 49,403 times
Quote:
Not a very polite open minded response at all. Cyclist DO have a right to road space because all are taxpayers just like other vehicle drivers
Cyclists don't pay taxes to use the roads, only motorists do. Motorists pay for the roads in the form of gas taxes, licensing and registration fees, and must be insured in order to exercise their privilege to use public roads. Cyclists pay nothing and feel entitled not only to use the roads that only motorists pay for but also to be given equal priority as motor vehicles. Many cyclists also feel entitled to ignore the traffic laws that motorists must obey and cry foul when struck by a car, of which the driver is legally operating the vehicle. So no, you don't have a right to road space, the people who pay for it have that right.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 10,504,676 times
I gave *NO* difficult scenarios. I gave the scenarios that I live on a daily basis. Just because you may live close to everything you want in life and you obviously have no family to contend with. Don't assume everyone has the same scenarios as you do.. Cause most don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

It seemed like from the beginning of the post people were looking to find the most difficult scenarios for bicyclists and then arguing that bicyclists wasn't practical ever. Given when someone calls what I do either impossible, impractical, or stupid it's not unreasonable for me to give an example saying I can do it in these conditions.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM

4,920 posts, read 5,546,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
First, no one said we want to clear the road of cars. The "I don't mind" line is NOT condescending if the bicyclist doesn't mind, if he can bike in that weather; he probably doesn't mind. What IS condescending is calling anyone who choses to go out in bad weather stupid or "fake macho".
Arrgh. As a bicyclist you obviously feel that telling others that THEY can bike in horrid weather because YOU don't mind it isn't condescending. the rest of us DO feel that way. Re3menbrem, I'm RESPONDING to a statmetn, not STARTING it. You're like one of those little kids that picks on people and then when one of them responds in kind sit there and go "Why? I didn't do anything. YOU'RE the one that was mean."

Remember, this thread was about someone telling us car drivers that WE need to get out of the cars and use bikes because OTHERS do it. And when we said we have situations that make it impractical, the response was "well we don't mind those situations." And sorry, if you tell me I should do something YOU do, and I tell you the reasons it's impractical, then blowing off my concerns about it because YOU don't mind the bad weather (or the attendant safety concerns, especially in snow or rain, or in both at night) IS macho posturing, it's rude, and it's disrespectful. So you're getting these responses IN KIND and IN RETURN. If you think it's rude, think about WHY it's RETURNED to you.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM

28,634 posts, read 14,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
Cyclists don't pay taxes to use the roads, only motorists do. Motorists pay for the roads in the form of gas taxes, licensing and registration fees, and must be insured in order to exercise their privilege to use public roads. Cyclists pay nothing and feel entitled not only to use the roads that only motorists pay for but also to be given equal priority as motor vehicles. Many cyclists also feel entitled to ignore the traffic laws that motorists must obey and cry foul when struck by a car, of which the driver is legally operating the vehicle. So no, you don't have a right to road space, the people who pay for it have that right.
Motor Vehicles cost don't pay the total cost of roads, highways, etc through their taxes. Many of the design features of high speed roads (which are more expensive to build) are unfriendly to cyclists. The signs, extra lanes, long sightlines are all road features that are usually unnecessary to cyclists.

Cars are large, go faster and wear the road down much faster than a bicycle. Cars are also much more dangerous to other road users. Many drivers feel entitled to ignore the rules of the road and, at times, the road itself, speeding, driving aggressively or driving distractedly.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM

4,920 posts, read 5,546,255 times
Quote:
So you're implying that since I pay taxes, if I register and insure ONE car, my status as taxpayer and having paid for one car means I can use the road with ANY unregistered and uninsured vehicle I own? I'm a taxpayer so I get to use the road with a bicycle, which then also gives me as much right to use an unlicensed, unregistered, and uninsured vhicle of ANY sort, eh?

I have a bicycle, and like the others coutering you here, what we're showing is our true attitude not toward cyclists, but toward arrogant cyclists with a sense of superiority and entitlement, who are trying to tell US how to live because it doesn't bother YOU to live that way.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 PM

28,634 posts, read 14,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Arrgh. As a bicyclist you obviously feel that telling others that THEY can bike in horrid weather because YOU don't mind it isn't condescending. the rest of us DO feel that way. Re3menbrem, I'm RESPONDING to a statmetn, not STARTING it. You're like one of those little kids that picks on people and then when one of them responds in kind sit there and go "Why? I didn't do anything. YOU'RE the one that was mean."

Remember, this thread was about someone telling us car drivers that WE need to get out of the cars and use bikes because OTHERS do it. And when we said we have situations that make it impractical, the response was "well we don't mind those situations." And sorry, if you tell me I should do something YOU do, and I tell you the reasons it's impractical, then blowing off my concerns about it because YOU don't mind the bad weather (or the attendant safety concerns, especially in snow or rain, or in both at night) IS macho posturing, it's rude, and it's disrespectful. So you're getting these responses IN KIND and IN RETURN. If you think it's rude, think about WHY it's RETURNED to you.
I never said car drivers should get out of their cars and use bikes. That was another poster. I could care less whether you bike or drive. It's just annoying to hear others say what I do I was impractical, or worse stupid, etc. I am responding to the response NOT the beginning of the thread. Think about YOUR response to other people's post. I did not say other people reasons for not biking in bad weather were bad reasons, I was criticizing you for attacking people (like me) who do bike in "bad" weather. Read my posts. When did I blow off your concerns?

People were listing the most impractical situations for bicyclists. I don't bike as often in bad weather myself, though I do once in a while. One could just bike in good weather. People kept approaching it as a very either / or situation.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,603,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Wait a minute not true.
I have three vehicles that I pay highway use tax every year in my property taxes to the state of NC. I have three registrations that I pay every year, I have liability ins. that I pay every year. Every time I fuel up I pay road use tax.

I have three bicycles and I pay nothing, no road use tax, no registration, and no insurance.

Why should I have to share roads with bicyclists that pay nothing to maintain them?
Talk about unfair.
You forget that much of the road funding comes from the federal level where all who have an income pay tax.

If you don't like that bicycles are classed as "vehicles" by all 50 states then get involved in state politics to re-class them. Just don't complain here.....

Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,603,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Please! Keep a civil tongue in your mouth. There is no need for such rancor in this thread about the simple bicycle. If you don't like the topic then please pass it by................

Old 11-26-2010, 01:04 PM
PDD

5,963 posts, read 6,267,401 times
Quote:
You forget that much of the road funding comes from the federal level where all who have an income pay tax.

If you don't like that bicycles are classed as "vehicles" by all 50 states then get involved in state politics to re-class them. Just don't complain here.....
Sorry but this is the Automotive forum, you don't belong here with your Bicycle talk.
If you want to preach to the choir you will have to start a thread on the Bicycle forum.

In all fairness to bicycle riders on the roadway I will give you as much highway room as you pay for. That being any part of the road that I am not using. The part I am using is from the center line to the outside edge of the pavement, you are entitled to use from the edge and any part of the shoulder that I am not using.

[SIZE=-1]au·to·mo·tive[/SIZE] t-mtv) [SIZE=-2]KEY[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]ADJECTIVE:[/SIZE]
  1. Moving by itself; self-propelling or self-propelled.
  2. Of or relating to self-propelled vehicles.

Bicycles are not self propelled, you are on the wrong forum.

Please go away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling