Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times

Advertisements

I'm an avid Mt-biker. but I have to shake my head in disbelief that someone will still run and or ride there bike in the winter on snowy and ice roads at all times of the day or night especially in rush hr traffic.
The roads get narrower from the snow banks and the side walks are covered in snow. They make for some very dangerous situations riding in thoes conditions.

I don't care if you have the "right" you put your self and others at risk.
The car wins. You get hurt or die and the unsuspecting motorist has to live with it.

or is it just natural selection at work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
It seems like a lot posters here assume a bicycle is in danger from getting hit from behind by a passing car. Most bicycle accidents occur not from a car passing behind but at intersections, except for the times a bicycle rides at night without lights. I could dig up stats if people are interested. Cars can see what is directly in front of them, but at intersections traffic is coming from all intersections. Bicycles riding on the sidewalk are about twice as likely to get in an accident, mainly because they come into intersections and driveways where cars don't expect it.

On a completely different topic, do the people here who use a car bike rack use it for road bikes or just mtn bikes. I never bothered to use one for road rides, I usually just start from home. Seems a bit odd and almost like cheating to drive somewhere to bike, and I can get roads I want to be on in a short amount of time (10 mins). Might depend on where you live....

Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It seems like a lot posters here assume a bicycle is in danger from getting hit from behind by a passing car. Most bicycle accidents occur not from a car passing behind but at intersections, except for the times a bicycle rides at night without lights. I could dig up stats if people are interested. Cars can see what is directly in front of them, but at intersections traffic is coming from all intersections. Bicycles riding on the sidewalk are about twice as likely to get in an accident, mainly because they come into intersections and driveways where cars don't expect it.

Just from reading some of the posts on this thread, some drivers coming from behind cyclists see targets on cyclists' jerseys. There are also times when drivers are just not attuned to seeing cyclists from any direction, in front of them or otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H77muTz0_II

Quote:
On a completely different topic, do the people here who use a car bike rack use it for road bikes or just mtn bikes. I never bothered to use one for road rides, I usually just start from home.

I use my rack for road, mtn, and tandem.

Quote:
Seems a bit odd and almost like cheating to drive somewhere to bike, and I can get roads I want to be on in a short amount of time (10 mins). Might depend on where you live....

It’s not cheating if you don't count the miles that you drive to and from a ride start in your total riding mileage. I am sure it would seem odd to people that just think of cycling around the neighborhood and not venture beyond to other opportunities suc as club rides and other organized events. There are several mitigating circumstances that can determine how one gets to a ride start. Most include but are not limited to time, distance, and the most unpredictable - weather conditions.

If I am riding alone, sure I can ride from my house. Plenty of good routes that keep me off of major auto -thoroughfares and still get a good 100+ mile ride especially if I want some “alone time.” The Dallas area is a cycling Mecca, even though it gets on lists of unfriendly cycling cities. We love it. Fortunately my LBS, where several group rides start, is on the next block. How great is that? However, most of my group rides start a considerable distance away, and start at a specific time, usually right after work 6:00 – 6:30 depending on which ride and time of year. Although fully capable of riding to the start, having the rack affords me being able to actually make those rides, without having to go home just to get my bike and ride to the start, only to find that the group has left the parking lot an hour earlier. Kind of misses the point of a group ride. Then there are the weekend races and rallies that are more like one to two hours away by highway, some requiring an overnight stay. I would hate to show up to one after exhausting myself from riding for 5 hours, and still have to race, much less looking forward to riding home afterwards. Then there are the weather conditions that can change during the ride, from temperatures to rain.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
The "moon walking bear" is black so there is little to draw the eye to it during all the distracting action around him. THIS is a classic example of how to make yourself seen ,or hidden, depending on your choice of clothing colors while riding a bicycle or walking.

This is why I posted a proposed requirement for all cyclist........

"Cyclist shall all wear yellow,blaze orange, or lime green clothing on the top 1/2
of their body while riding in mixed traffic.

Cyclist shall all wear approved cycling helmets in bright colors to enhance visibility in mixed traffic."

Advanced cyclist know this and will wear bright colors but the novice, or the brain dead, will ass-u-me that all around them can see them 'cause they are "there".

Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The "moon walking bear" is black so there is little to draw the eye to it during all the distracting action around him. THIS is a classic example of how to make yourself seen ,or hidden, depending on your choice of clothing colors while riding a bicycle or walking.

This is why I posted a proposed requirement for all cyclist........

"Cyclist shall all wear yellow,blaze orange, or lime green clothing on the top 1/2
of their body while riding in mixed traffic.

Cyclist shall all wear approved cycling helmets in bright colors to enhance visibility in mixed traffic."

Advanced cyclist know this and will wear bright colors but the novice, or the brain dead, will ass-u-me that all around them can see them 'cause they are "there".
Why don't you add that bright orange flag at the end of a tall mast to your list? Actually, none of my Jerseys or helmets would fall under your edict. Mine are more in the red white a blue color scheme. But that'll happen right after a law is passed that make all cars black. That ain't gonna happen, just gonna have to ride smart on your own - with the bright colors.

Last edited by PanTerra; 12-15-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Why don't you add that bright orange flag at the end of a tall mast to your list? Actually, none of my Jerseys or helmets would fall under your edict. Mine are more in the red white a blue color scheme. But that'll happen right after a law is passed that make all cars black. That ain't gonna happen, just gonna have to ride smart on your own - with the bright colors.
I agree but...........at the start of any massive behavior change people need a few simple rules to help them learn what to wear and what not to wear to improve they own safety while riding. Gun owners know this all to well as an example.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I agree but...........at the start of any massive behavior change people need a few simple rules to help them learn what to wear and what not to wear to improve they own safety while riding. Gun owners know this all to well as an example.
That is why there is the Fred Police.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 PM

A discussion about bike helmets......

Portlandize: And now, the bicycle helmet post... (http://www.portlandize.com/2009/03/and-now-bicycle-helmet-post.html - broken link)

Portlandize: Ok, I'm venturing into helmets once more. (http://www.portlandize.com/2009/10/ok-im-venturing-into-helmets-once-more.html - broken link)

Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
As you started this thread by talking about cycling in the Netherlands, I'd like to point out that in the Netherlands and in much of Europe most cyclists don't use helmets. Helmets are common among recreational cyclists but not so much commuters.

@PanTerra

Didn't think of bike events / club rides. I usually ride with friends or by myself aside from commuting but I don't really do any organized rides. One of these days I should get a bike rack, though. The few times I have needed to bring my bike somewhere far I've had to take the wheels off and put it in my back seat.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As you started this thread by talking about cycling in the Netherlands, I'd like to point out that in the Netherlands and in much of Europe most cyclists don't use helmets. Helmets are common among recreational cyclists but not so much commuters.
I think you will find that the links I posted about helmets will explain why Americans do wear helmets and Europeans don't. You might be surprised by what you read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling