U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,559,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
who pays for a bike accident between 2 riders and one becomes paralyzed or (God forbid) killed by a careless rider? If you don't think you can be very injured dropping a bike, you are sadly mistaken. According to this its a higher rate per mile then auto accident deaths
In most cases this type of accident is covered under a homeowners policy. That may change as more bicycles are on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,559,806 times
Words from Gary Fisher a leading cyclist..........

Simple City Bike Series | Gary Fisher Bicycles

Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM

596 posts, read 1,256,132 times
Sometimes I wonder why American smaller cities are that hostile towards bicyclists and pedestrians. In the town I am currently living in, we have a residential area and a shopping/food/commercial area. Walmart is about 5 miles away from the residential/university district. The residential district is connected to a large avenue with shops, mcdonalds, wendys etc which has no sidewalk, no bike lane, nothing.
If you want to go to Walmart without a car, you have to cross parking lots, private propery, grassland, cemeteries...

I don't know why they build old those commercial stuff so far away from the "city" center, but if they do so, they should at least make it accessible by bike, bus or on foot.

I am looking forward to live in a larger, walkable, bicycle-friendly city with good public transport, once I made my degree.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 9,422,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
While many will poo-poo the very idea of a bicycle for daily transport ,for some task, this change is coming like it or not. Our local/state gov't just need to learn how to implement these changes......the right way.

IMO ,just as in the article, make it safe to bike and more people will.
Maybe in some cities but here in San Antonio going to/from work in 100+ temperatures... nahhhh I don't think so. Shopping on a bicycle? Taking the kids to the movies?

Mandated use of a bicycle? By the time the local/state/government organizations finish putting on their rules/regulations on the riders AND some organization somewhere will scream "we need to mandate minimum hardware requirements" and turn the bicycle into a 500 pound monstrosity..... arghhhhh.

It's fantasy land to think we will be forced to take a bicycle anywhere.....

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,466,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's not what he said. You can walk your bike through easements meant for pedestrians. You can't take a car there.

You still have to obay traffic signals like cars to. So how much further can you get on a bike?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
12% of all traffic fatality victims are pedestrians. About seven pedestrian fatalities for every one on a bike, around 5,000 a year. Is that a good enough argument for you to be opposed to encouraging people to walk to their destination?

did I ever oppose walking to your destination? No. Please don't put words in my mouth.. All I said is that its not practical to most people. Im a biker too..

Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Here is a condensation of statistics about bicycling in the Netherlands, from sources too numerous to itemize. By the way, most cyclists in NL do not wear a helmet.

# 16 million Dutch own 18 million bikes.
# About half the population of the NL rides a bike once a day.
# The average distance traveled by bike per person per day was 2.5km in 2006.
# The bicycle is used for almost a quarter of all journeys, and 35% of journeys below 7.5km.
# The US has 147 traffic deaths per million inhabitants per year. In NL its 45.
# You’re more likely to die of murder in the US than by cycling in the Netherlands.
# You’re more likely to die by drowning in the Netherlands than by cycling.

If the average person rides a bike 1.5 miles a day, that would be 8-billion miles a year ridden on a bike, instead of in 24-mpg cars, saving a million gallons of gas per day, which in Netherlands would cost $6.5-million a day, or 2 billlon a year, or about $400 per Dutch household.
The Netherlands is not the US. None of those stats mean much actually. Bikes will never replace the car here. Never happen. You can wish all you want but I find it hard to imagine the average 250 lb 50 year old guy who can barely make it up a flight of stairs biking miles to work every day

Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In most cases this type of accident is covered under a homeowners policy. That may change as more bicycles are on the road.

oh it would def change. You would need costly insurance just like cars. This country is sue happy and it would spill over to bike accidents i can assure you

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Walmart is about 5 miles away from the residential/university district. The residential district is connected to a large avenue with shops, mcdonalds, wendys etc which has no sidewalk, no bike lane, nothing.
If you want to go to Walmart without a car, you have to cross parking lots, private propery, grassland, cemeteries...

You need a mountain bike then!! That makes it more fun!!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM

2,670 posts, read 2,993,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
oh it would def change. You would need costly insurance just like cars. This country is sue happy and it would spill over to bike accidents i can assure you
For liability? No you would not need a costly policy simply b/c bicycles are incapable of destroying property and lives the way a car or truck can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling