Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Here's the story:

I am doing without a car for a bit (due to some costly auto repairs) and am thining about getting a bike to supplement bus use.

The idea is to get a bike that I can ride to the bus (our bus system has racks for bikes), but also one that I can use for errands here in suburbia.

The errand use will probably be the main one, since I will use the bike to do grocery shopping, maybe take things to & from the dry cleaners, packages to UPS and the PO, even to the mall to do some clothes shopping (very infrequently). Mostly for grocery shopping.

So Im looking for a good pratical bike to take on sidewalks and highways that has a lot of storage capacity, say things like baskets or trailers and trailer hitches (I think they have these).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
could probably by a hybrid bike for around $500-$1,000 that has thicker tires than a road bike for off-pavement riding but not a heavy frame like a mountain bike.

how much you thinking of spending?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,092 times
I'd recommend a Giant Boulder SE. Its priced at the low end for good bikes. I got mine for $285 4 years ago and its still in great shape. It doesn't have storage, but it is good for riding in any conditions

Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
I always thought these were a good value:

Touring Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Windsor Bikes - Tourist

Still the best thing is to get a bike shop bike that is properly fitted to the particulars of your anatomy and is put together properly. These two things are impossible to do with a Wal-Mart or equivalent big-box store bike.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
What's your budget?
For around ~$600 you can get this:

Trek Belleville - trekdg.com (http://trekdg.com/product/11-trek-belleville-73845-1.htm - broken link)

For trailers, I looooove my B.O.B., but they are expensive (another $300-400).

On a tighter budget? Google "bicycle-coop" + "your location" and build your own. Many people also fashion their own trailers out of discarded kiddie-carriers. The local co-op has workshops to teach people how to make "baskets" out of old kitty-litter containers. Talk about "green".

http://www.theindycog.com/blog/?p=2243 (broken link)

Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
What's your budget?
For around ~$600 you can get this:

Trek Belleville - trekdg.com (http://trekdg.com/product/11-trek-belleville-73845-1.htm - broken link)

Yes, this Trek is a good choice. However, if ALL your cycling is local low key riding then consider a Cruiser (AKA Beach cruiser) that is the granddad of all American bike styles.

Trek cruiser with 3 speed gearing (great for in town!)............
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Cruiser | Classic Steel 3-Speed (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/cruiser/classic/classicsteel3speed/ - broken link)

To carry stuff on your bike you'll need a pair of these.......
(A pair needed so buy 2)
Amazon.com: Wald 582 Folding Rear Bicycle Grocery Baskets: Sports & Outdoors

This rack to mount the baskets to.........
Amazon.com: Mighty Full Alloy Pannier Rack: Sports & Outdoors

One front basket.......
Amazon.com: Wald 139 Standard Large Front Handlebar Bike Basket: Sports & Outdoors

There will be more stuff you'll want to add to your bike but wait awhile before you do.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
So Im looking for a good pratical bike to take on sidewalks and highways that has a lot of storage capacity, say things like baskets or trailers and trailer hitches (I think they have these).
What ever you get, stay off the highways. And if you must ride on the sidewalk make sure you are always going in the direction of the traffic.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Thanks for your alls advice. I probably wont be doing too much touring, mostly for errands & groceries, though maybe a bit of touring on weekends on one of our bikepaths.

I should say our bus system has bike racks on all the busses, so I'll be able to get around town pretty well this way, at least where I want to go.

Good advice about highways. In my suburb the policy is to treat the sidewalks as bikepaths since it is dangerous to ride the highways. In the city they have these painted bike lanes and "sharrows".

But thanks about the bike types, too. For price range I hadn't given it much thought, but it sounds like bikes are more reasonable than I thought, if the upper end is around $1K for those hybrids bike plus $600 for a trailer.

Does anyone have an opinion on collapsable bikes?

Seems like they'd be sweet since you could carry them onboard a bus, or stow them in your car trunk or backseat rather than on a bike rack

Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on collapsable bikes?

Seems like they'd be sweet since you could carry them onboard a bus, or stow them in your car trunk or backseat rather than on a bike rack
Someone in our club rides a BikeFriday. He likes it. It's not his primary ride, however. Just a travel bike.

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-16-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
But thanks about the bike types, too. For price range I hadn't given it much thought, but it sounds like bikes are more reasonable than I thought, if the upper end is around $1K for those hybrids bike plus $600 for a trailer.
Folding bikes are mainly to travel on mass transit and not much else.

As to a trailer.......
Why buy what anyone can build with simple hand tools? I built this trailer 30 yrs ago and use it still at a cost of $25 using salvaged material. New material will raise the price to around $100 so that would save you many $$$$$$ that could be used buying a bike.

Build a Bicycle Trailer

Build a Bicycle Trailer

Build a Bicycle Trailer

Build a Bicycle Trailer

Oh yes, bigger tires on a Cruiser get fewer flats if kept inflated properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling