Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 PM

517 posts, read 998,957 times

Advertisements

I learned to swim at 9 and learned to ice at 10 sorta not fancy **** though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM

416 posts, read 630,508 times
At the school I went to in England they started teaching us to swim in P2, or the second year of elementary school, I was around 6. My dad got me a bike that same year, but it took me about two years to learn to ride it properly, I struggled with the balance.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I learned to swim when I was 8, and ride a bike when I was 9. What about you? (assuming you've learned!).
2-wheeler bike I was 5 years old.
To swim in a pool, maybe 8 or 9.

I learned to ride a bike with training wheels and in no time those training wheels were getting in the way. I crashed a lot into sheds but I was riding and I went fast. I destroyed 3 bicycles in about 2 years.

Those arm floats may have helped me learn to swim.

Iceskated for first time last year (age 24), it seems like something I just already knew how to do. I went 45 minutes until I fell and that was because I accidently used the front brakes on the shoe. Rollarblades a little bit as a preteen. Still can't skate on those oldfashion 4-wheel shoes, they look as hard as skateboarding.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Swim-8 years old at camp.

Ride a bike--when I was that age they only made tricycles for kids. I had an "English" bike when I was 8 and it was a little bit too big for me. (3 speed Raleigh, this was in the '50s).

Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I never took swimming lessons, I just learned from going in the water. Hard to say by what age. I learned to ride a bike at about 7 or 8. I was afraid for a long time due to growing up on a gravel road, and had badly scarred knees from learning to ride on those roads and multiple wipeouts on sharp chips and chunks of crushed limestone gravel. I still have scars.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Tabula - you're speaking my language .... definitely takes a different kind of skill

I still remember as a kid coming up on a driveway that had fresh gravel and I was really hauling ...... until I came to a fairly sudden skid stop ....... you get to learn little things like how blood absorent your socks are or much fun it is to constantly bend a torn up knee as you pedal home .... good times

Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
I rode a two wheeler at 5 and learned to swim at 4.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I was probably about 8 or 9 when I rode a 2-wheel bike. I could walk on stilts before that.

I've still never learned to swim, but I learned to float at about 55, so I could probably swim if I had to, but I don't like going in the water, it's not something I'd ever do for fun, so I never bothered.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I learned to swim when I was 8, and ride a bike when I was 9. What about you? (assuming you've learned!).
That was an awful long time ago.....let me think......

I know I took swimming lessons when I was about 4 in Payson, Arizona. Pop and Bunny Something-or-another (Carter, maybe) taught me. I even have a diploma somewhere!

The bike thing...I remember riding the neighbor's two-wheeler when I was teeny, probably 3 or 4, but it was just a small 18 inch bike, and I didn't use the pedals, I just pushed it along with my feet. I seem to recall getting my first two-wheeler when I was about 5-ish. It was pink and white with training wheels and pink and white streamers from the handlebars. I think I got it for my fifth birthday, which is in April.

I never rode my bike to school because we always lived far enough away that I took the bus.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Swimming lessons are compulsory in Australian schools. I remember in the early years, when I was still learning, I used to dread swimming lessons/be scared of the water. Gradually I started to enjoy it and we'd swim a lot during the school holidays. Still, I'm not a strong swimmer. Never trained doing laps or anything just played around in the water. My weakness is a lack of stamina. After doing 25 metres of freestyle I feel puffed out, but I can probably backstroke for miles.

I've only ice skated twice in my life but it came naturally to me because I roller-bladed as a kid. The two are pretty similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling