Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times

Advertisements

Biking and walking have always been good excercise. Today they are easier as towns and cities become more bike/walking friendly.

"The core of their message is plain common sense: All Americans are better off because biking and walking fosters improved public health (and savings in health care expenditures for households, businesses, and government), stronger communities, less congestion, safer streets, lower energy use, and a cleaner, safer environment. "

How Biking Benefits Everyone by Jay Walljasper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,654 times
Thanks. Considered this pretty common sense, but there are those people out there I guess..

Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
When I visited Copenhagen a new car dealer said there was a 180% tax on new cars...I am sure that helps put people on bikes there

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 17,374 times
Some cities aren't very bike friendly. A lack of bike lanes and spread out city makes it hard to walk or bike just anywhere. We all know it is healthier for ourselves and the environment to walk or bike as transportation but, the reality is that it is close to impossible for some people.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I love to ride my bike, but I have to stick to trails or my neighborhood, as I live in an extremely un-bikefriendly area. People who ride in bike lanes where I live are just targets. It's a shame, but sadly, the way it is.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
Every time I see a post like this I'm sad I don't live closer to work.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Every time I see a post like this I'm sad I don't live closer to work.
Me too! I live 24 miles from work by highway.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
The health benefits of biking only benefit non-bikers to the extent that we have socialized medicine where x has to pay for the medical treatment of y.

Note that the same argument applies to innumerable activites. To the extent that medicine is socialized, if you smoke drink, eat twinkies, or have unprotected anal sex it becomes a cost to the public and therefore the public's business. If you run, exercise, eat healthy, don't "smoke, chew, or go with girls who do," it becomes a benefit to the public and arguably deserves to be subsidized.

It can be tricky. If you run ultramarathons you're probably doing more harm than good. If you totally abstain from sex you can develop prostrate problems (maybe mental issues too). All these things arguably should be carefully monitored, evaluated, and taxed or subsidized as appropriate by government.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 9,525 times
http://vafq.org/fs/images/1.gif (broken link)thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Bicycling is wonderful..I've loved it since I was nine or so, and have always owned a bike. These days of high gas prices--and likely going higher--using a bike is good for our health--and great for our wallets!

I have a big basket on my errand bike and I do my lighter grocery shopping, mail letters, go to the library and take care of most of my local errands by bike...

Also a daily ride along the waterfront figures into my fitness routine--and it feeds my spirit, too. Being out in the fresh air and being close to nature's beauty, sights and smells is wonderful.

Folks on bikes are friendly and getting and giving waves is warming...

If you've not been on a bike lately, maybe you'll want to see what feeling 12 years old all over again feels like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling