Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times

Advertisements

Why do some of you care so much about a complete stranger's lack of a helmet? Their choice to go helmet-less has absolutely ZERO impact on your life.

Besides, in many places adults are not required to wear a helmets. Why get upset about adults practicing their LEGAL right to go helmet-less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM

7,177 posts, read 9,225,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Safe riding skills won't prevent you from crashing into a car which suddenly gets in your path.
Disagree.

Safe riding skills won't always prevent an accident true. But the car doesn't suddenly get in your path. It comes from somewhere.

Safe riding skills should teach you when to avoid certain routes/times etc. It should teach you to look before you cross an intersection when on a bike. To be aware of other traffic at all times. To watch for where problems may come from. That has saved me from getting hit by cars many times.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Disagree.

Safe riding skills won't always prevent an accident true. But the car doesn't suddenly get in your path. It comes from somewhere.

Safe riding skills should teach you when to avoid certain routes/times etc. It should teach you to look before you cross an intersection when on a bike. To be aware of other traffic at all times. To watch for where problems may come from. That has saved me from getting hit by cars many times.
Disagree all you want. But it happens.

Safe riding skills are useless when a car quickly puts itself in the path of your bike.

It could be a car backing out of a driveway which is blocked from your view. Other cars may be parked along the street preventing you from even noticing this driveway.

It might be a car riding along side you who doesn't bother to check his side view mirror, and suddenly turns right in front of you.

It might be a parked car, where a car door suddenly opens at the exact moment you are riding past the car.

In cases like this, you don't even have a second to react. By the time you notice the car, you are already crashing into it.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Safe riding skills are useless when a car quickly puts itself in the path of your bike.

It could be a car backing out of a driveway which is blocked from your view. Other cars may be parked along the street preventing you from even noticing this driveway.
Street riding isn't a race. Quit looking at your computer to see how fast your going and pay attention to the road ahead. If something is blocking your view then extra care is needed.

Dodged this a few times. Not that I'm perfect either. My close calls have come when I did see the driver backing out proceeded anyway since I did have the right of way and thought they saw me.

Quote:
It might be a car riding along side you who doesn't bother to check his side view mirror, and suddenly turns right in front of you.
Funny this is one of the times I did get hit. I don't know how much time I had to react. Less than a second. I turned hard. Almost turned inside her turn. Almost. Some riders use mirrors to watch people coming up behind them.

Quote:
It might be a parked car, where a car door suddenly opens at the exact moment you are riding past the car.
Came close when I was younger. Nowadays I avoid the door zone of cars. This one is avoidable. Take the lane, find another route. This is actually a killer for motorcyclists.

Still in favor of safety skills over the helmet. Still wear my helmet, sometimes.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:

In cases like this, you don't even have a second to react. By the time you notice the car, you are already crashing into it.
You obviously don't bike often, which explains your militancy on this issue. I bike in NYC every day, and each of the items you have listed are a part of why I ride the way I do. One ALWAYS assumes a car door might open or that a car might turn into you. You have not mentioned anything extraordinary to anyone who really bikes. That said, you are right to wear a helmet since you don't anticipate such normalcy on the road.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You obviously don't bike often, which explains your militancy on this issue. I bike in NYC every day, and each of the items you have listed are a part of why I ride the way I do. One ALWAYS assumes a car door might open or that a car might turn into you. You have not mentioned anything extraordinary to anyone who really bikes. That said, you are right to wear a helmet since you don't anticipate such normalcy on the road.
Sorry that your assumptions are incorrect, but I ride nearly 3 - 5 times a week.

I've been riding bikes my entire life.

No ... you can not predict when someone will be careless with their car.

It is absolutely ridiculous to even think that you can.

And no ... carelessness is NOT normal behavior.

If you could predict carelessness, then accidents would NEVER happen, and there would be no need for anyone to carry insurance.

I repeat .... RIDICULOUS!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM

funny thing, I was going to respond to your post with the single word "Ridiculous!" but you beat me to the punch.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM

funny thing, I was going to respond to your post with the single word "Ridiculous!" but you beat me to the punch. You clearly are clueless about how to bike properly. Why are you riding so close to a car that a.flung open door can cause a collision? Claim the lane. Learn proper biking skills. Wear your helmet, and MYOB when those of us with more experience choose not to. We are adults and dont need a nanny.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
funny thing, I was going to respond to your post with the single word "Ridiculous!" but you beat me to the punch. You clearly are clueless about how to bike properly. Why are you riding so close to a car that a.flung open door can cause a collision? Claim the lane. Learn proper biking skills. Wear your helmet, and MYOB when those of us with more experience choose not to. We are adults and dont need a nanny.
I am an EXTREMELY safe rider. In my entire life, I've only had one serious bike accident. And as I already mentioned ... I ride quite often.

Sorry, but you can't easily avoid cars who act carelessly. Maybe it's different in NY, but here in San Diego it's not that simple.

Our bike lanes run right next to parked cars. Here is an article with a picture which shows what I mean:

Creating Bike Safety In A City Built For Cars | KPBS Mobile

Many of our lanes are more narrow than the one shown above, and cars often park right next to the edge of the right bike line, and not a foot away, as you see in the above example.

The above article is about someone who was killed while riding in a bike lane. That is what we deal with here in SD.

You may think that you "know it all" concerning riding bikes safely ... but you don't. Trust me. No matter how safe you attempt to be, you are still at the mercy of careless drivers.

Here's another sample photo:

http://www.bikesd.org/2011/09/29/new...s-on-b-street/

The below link shows a pretty realistic depiction of how cars are often parked next to bike lanes here in SD:

http://www.sandiegopersonalinjuryatt...ey-doored.html

Last edited by RD5050; 06-22-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I am an EXTREMELY safe rider. In my entire life, I've only had one serious bike accident. And as I already mentioned ... I ride quite often.

Sorry, but you can't easily avoid cars who act carelessly. Maybe it's different in NY, but here in San Diego it's not that simple.

Our bike lanes run right next to parked cars. Here is an article with a picture which shows what I mean:

Creating Bike Safety In A City Built For Cars | KPBS Mobile

Many of our lanes are more narrow than the one shown above, and cars often park right next to the edge of the right bike line, and not a foot away, as you see in the above example.

The above article is about someone who was killed while riding in a bike lane. That is what we deal with here in SD.

You may think that you "know it all" concerning riding bikes safely ... but you don't. Trust me. No matter how safe you attempt to be, you are still at the mercy of careless drivers.

Here's another sample photo:

Bike San Diego » New Bike Lanes on B Street

The below link shows a pretty realistic depiction of how cars are often parked next to bike lanes here in SD:

San Diego Bicycle Accident Attorney - Car Doored | PCH Car Accident Injury Attorneys
Take the lane. You are not required to ride in the bicycle path when it is unsafe.

Bicycling Street Smarts - Table of Contents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling