Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
This thread needs to die...I'm tired of seeing it's misspelled title appear
It isn't misspelled. However, your use of the word "it's" is incorrect.

Also, the question about the 90% is hyperbole. If I don't wear a helmet every time I go out and ride my bike, and never get into another accident, ever, then I will -not- be among the 90% who dies by not wearing a helmet.

My risk factor isn't 90%. The risk of "death as a result of riding a bicycle" is low. The risk of "death as a result of being thrown from a bicycle in a traumatic vehicular accident" is low. The risk of "death as a result of being thrown from a bicycle in a traumatic accident while not wearing a helmet" is low.

How about the risk of being in that accident in the first place, as a result of people talking on cell phones, or changing the station on the radio, or talking to the passenger in the seat next to them, or putting on their makeup in the rear-view mirror, or reading the paper, or lighting their cigarette, or any of the myriad of other things people do when they're driving, other than paying attention to what they're supposed to be doing?

How about we do something about THAT instead, and stop worrying about whether their victim was properly equipped?

Instead, I'll live my life how I see fit, take -reasonable- risks, avoid -unreasonable- risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
This thread needs to die...I'm tired of seeing it's misspelled title appear
What misspelled title:dubious, what are you talking about?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It isn't misspelled. However, your use of the word "it's" is incorrect.

Also, the question about the 90% is hyperbole. If I don't wear a helmet every time I go out and ride my bike, and never get into another accident, ever, then I will -not- be among the 90% who dies by not wearing a helmet.

My risk factor isn't 90%. The risk of "death as a result of riding a bicycle" is low. The risk of "death as a result of being thrown from a bicycle in a traumatic vehicular accident" is low. The risk of "death as a result of being thrown from a bicycle in a traumatic accident while not wearing a helmet" is low.

How about the risk of being in that accident in the first place, as a result of people talking on cell phones, or changing the station on the radio, or talking to the passenger in the seat next to them, or putting on their makeup in the rear-view mirror, or reading the paper, or lighting their cigarette, or any of the myriad of other things people do when they're driving, other than paying attention to what they're supposed to be doing?

How about we do something about THAT instead, and stop worrying about whether their victim was properly equipped?

Instead, I'll live my life how I see fit, take -reasonable- risks, avoid -unreasonable- risks.
I never implied the risk for being in a bike accident is high.

The statics I referred stated that 90% of bicycle related deaths involved a bicyclist who was not wearing a helmet.

You may think it may never happen to you ... but life doesn't always work that way.

I know this from my own personal experience, as I previously mentioned.

When my accident initially happened, I didn't give much thought about the fact that my head struck the ground. Other parts of my body were badly injured, and that was all I was concerned about.

But looking back on it afterwards made me realize that my helmet saved my life that day.

Had I not been wearing a helmet, my head would have slammed into the street, and my other injuries would have been the least of my worries.

So don't fool yourself into thinking it will never happen to you.

Accidents can happen anywhere ... at anytime ... to anyone.

All it takes is just one careless driver ... and your entire life can be changed forever.

Why take the risk?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Your question was not posed to me but I will answer it anyway: yes I do. It is my life and my decision to risk death (as you hysterically put it). Dying tomorrow because I don't want to wear a helmet isn't such as bad deal as we all are going to die someday. Agree or not, so be it, it is my choice because it is my life. Save your nanny state nonsense for yourself, and stop promoting it for everyone else.
I agree that if an adult wants to ride a bike without a helmet on it's none of my business. I, personally, wouldn't make that choice and I wouldn't let my children make that choice. But grown ups can decide these things for themselves.

The one exception to this might be where a bicyclist's failure to wear a bike helmet can be shown to adversely impact the safety of others.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Y'all are a bunch of scared insecure Americans. Why don't we wear helmets while walking. In fact, let's put iron bars around all of our windows. Safety protectors in all of our sockets.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The one exception to this might be where a bicyclist's failure to wear a bike helmet can be shown to adversely impact the safety of others.
Yah, maybe in .001% of any given situation during any point in the day all over the world.

Also, if you're riding around in a neighborhood with a decent sense of awareness... even if you do get hit or fall off your bike... let's hope natural instinct kicks in and you use your hands and roll...I suppose that concept is harder for some people.

I used to ride bmx (park/vert) and almost never wore a helmet..I've fallen from airing out a 9 ft bowl and going 6ft over vert and never landed straight on my head..

Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
I read a study once that said drivers are more aware of bicyclists without helmets. This was (at the time,) backed up with statistics that showed bicyclists who do not wear helmets were in less accidents with an auto vs. those who did wear one.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Yah, maybe in .001% of any given situation during any point in the day all over the world.

Also, if you're riding around in a neighborhood with a decent sense of awareness... even if you do get hit or fall off your bike... let's hope natural instinct kicks in and you use your hands and roll...I suppose that concept is harder for some people.

I used to ride bmx (park/vert) and almost never wore a helmet..I've fallen from airing out a 9 ft bowl and going 6ft over vert and never landed straight on my head..
Ever slam into a car while riding your bike at 10+ mph?

Natural instincts don't come into play when you are knocked unconscious.

Your head just hits whatever it hits .... it's not your choice to make.

And a helmet might have been the only thing preventing you from dying in that crash ... if you were smart enough to wear one.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.
In CA only children have to wear them by law.
The rest of us love the wind in our hair.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Ever slam into a car while riding your bike at 10+ mph?

Natural instincts don't come into play when you are knocked unconscious.

Your head just hits whatever it hits .... it's not your choice to make.

And a helmet might have been the only thing preventing you from dying in that crash ... if you were smart enough to wear one.
You sound like an afterschool special commercial.

You know what a bigger problem than people not wearing bicycle helmets is?

Cell phones. People walking and texting, not looking. I've seen people walk across intersections texting and not looking, every single time I drive. People talking or texting while driving. That's a bigger problem than bicycle helmets.

Backseat passengers heads will flail all over the place when a car gets into an accident with object of choice, why don't car passengers wear helmets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling