Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Eyewear isn't merely a good idea. I can't believe anyone who would protect Junior from the *remote* possibility that he *might* crack his skull falling off his bike some day within the next 18 years, would not *demand* that Junior never get on his bike without eyewear of some kind. The odds of being distracted by something in his eye, even as a toddler, is -far- more significant than the odds of Junior cracking his skull in an accident. But I guess his eyesight, and his elbows, and the tetanus he might get if he cuts himself on his own bike, or the low-growing branch from the tree up ahead that he didn't see because he was too distracted by the bug in his eyeball...isn't as important or worth preventing, than the crack in his skull he's likely to never experience anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
You can get hit in the eye all day long by bugs. You just stop your bike. Wipe your eyes, and go back to riding. A bug in the eye is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

However .. if you have just one serious fall ... where your head hits against a solid object or hits the ground ... you can end up in the emergency room ... or worse. I'd say that is reason enough to always wear a helmet.

The comparison of needing scuba gear in a swimming pool seems absurd. When kids are in a pool, they almost always have people watching them. If they get into trouble, someone is typically there to help. When kids drown, it's almost always when they are left alone, and accidentally fall into a pool, and they can't swim. It's not when they are out swimming for recreation. That should be up to the parents to make sure family pools are kept covered, and kids who can't swim are kept away from open pools when alone. Parents also need to use good judgement when letting their kids swim in the ocean or anywhere where unsafe swimming conditions may exist. Kids who are weak swimmers should wear floaties, etc.

Now when a kid falls from a bike, it's an entirely different story. Nobody is there to protect the kid's head before it hits the ground or some other solid object. That type of event happens within seconds. And that is the reason helmets make sense. Head injuries may not happen often, but when they do, they are often serious.

In contrast, a bug in the eye is about as non-serious as an injury can get. You are still in full control of your bike, and you just apply the brakes, and wipe the bug out of your eye, and go on your merry way.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge sells helmets for $10 and properly fits them. A newspaper article about this mentioned they were motivated by the head trauma cases they saw in the ER and wanted to do something about it.
It only takes 1 accident; and they are called accidents for a reason. The strangest things can cause a fall and even at very low speed, your head hitting a hard surface can cause serious pain. I don't care how hot or silly or inconvenient they are- no helmet, no bike, scooter, board or skis-PERIOD!! My kids health is more important than the inconveniences. A helmet is a lot less $ than an ER bill.
Wouldn't trust a 10$ helmet

Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'd rather see scrapes/scratches/tears on a helmet than on my child's head. Just saying...
Yep, sure.

Was referring to the rate of serious head trauma/death resulting from..

I understand that, probably 100% of people don't want scrapes/scratches/tears on a childs head.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
In contrast, a bug in the eye is about as non-serious as an injury can get. You are still in full control of your bike, and you just apply the brakes, and wipe the bug out of your eye, and go on your merry way.
It's not the idea of an 'injury' as it is the prevention of one.

A child first learning how to ride a bicycle or, new to riding a bicycle... might not be able to maintain full control over a bicycle with one hand when distracted with a bug in the eye. I think she may have exampled a child as you are identifying the situation with a child.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

A child first learning how to ride a bicycle or, new to riding a bicycle... might not be able to maintain full control over a bicycle with one hand when distracted with a bug in the eye. I think she may have exampled a child as you are identifying the situation with a child.
Anyone really, but especially children who haven't perfected their motor conrol or distance perception, among other things.

As for the pool example, it was one example of how kids drown. Rivers, lakes, oceans, streams, the bathtub, pools, etc. etc. (with "etc" being any and all other possible methods of drowning, since some people want to nitpick).

There is a far higher risk of a childhood death as a result of drowning, than there is of childhood death as a result of head trauma from a bicycle accident, with or without a helmet. And yet, no one is up in arms about people not preventing drowning by providing mandatory oxygen tanks to children. Floaties don't prevent drowning. Even knowing how to swim doesn't prevent drowning. They reduce the risk of it. The only thing that -prevents- drowning is either not getting into the water in the first place, or breathing oxygen while you're in it.

You're far more likely to experience head trauma in a car accident as a passenger than you are as a result of a bicycle accident as a bike rider. And yet, helmets for children in motor vehicles aren't mandatory.

I just really think that of all the possible risks of injury and death, obsessing over bicycle helmets is just not as significant, as so many others that parents never even think twice about.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

I still don't think a bug in the eye would be that serious of an event, even for a child.

I believe even a child would know enough to stop their bike if something got into their eye.

However, let's face it ... all we are doing is assuming here.

I doubt anyone did any studies on this, so none of us knows the true answer.

So why bother to debate it?

Last edited by RD5050; 06-16-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
I don't know, I grew up in India and never even knew such a thing existed till when I first came to the US a few years ago.

I still don't wear a helmet if bicycling because I go pretty slow, and it looks ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Anyone really, but especially children who haven't perfected their motor conrol or distance perception, among other things.

As for the pool example, it was one example of how kids drown. Rivers, lakes, oceans, streams, the bathtub, pools, etc. etc. (with "etc" being any and all other possible methods of drowning, since some people want to nitpick).
I did mention oceans, and other unsafe swimming conditions (in general).

Once again, I think parents need to be on top of the situation, and do what they can to keep their kid away from all unsafe swimming conditions if their child doesn't swim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is a far higher risk of a childhood death as a result of drowning, than there is of childhood death as a result of head trauma from a bicycle accident, with or without a helmet. And yet, no one is up in arms about people not preventing drowning by providing mandatory oxygen tanks to children. Floaties don't prevent drowning. Even knowing how to swim doesn't prevent drowning. They reduce the risk of it. The only thing that -prevents- drowning is either not getting into the water in the first place, or breathing oxygen while you're in it.

You're far more likely to experience head trauma in a car accident as a passenger than you are as a result of a bicycle accident as a bike rider. And yet, helmets for children in motor vehicles aren't mandatory.

I just really think that of all the possible risks of injury and death, obsessing over bicycle helmets is just not as significant, as so many others that parents never even think twice about.
If there were a simple effective way to prevent children from drowning, I'd say use it. If it means saving a life, then I'm all for it.

But my feeling, is that parents should supervise young children at all times when in or near water. Drownings occur when adults aren't paying attention to the children.

Scuba gear is a bit of an excessive answer. I think floatation devices are a better answer. Especially lifejackets, preservers, and other devices which which keep the child's head above water.

But it's still a parents ultimate responsibility to keep their kids safe, so parents need to keep a constant watch over their children when they are near water.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I still don't think a bug in the eye would not be that serious of an event, even for a child.

I believe even a child would know enough to stop their bike if something got into their eye.

However, let's face it ... all we are doing is assuming here.

I doubt anyone did any studies on this, so none of us knows the true answer.

So why bother to debate it?
There are lot's of opinions, what if's and assumptions flying around actual fact in most posts on this forum.

But, hey.. we still do it.

Anyways, the likelihood of a bug getting into a child's eye is very slim. Eyewear would be mostly intended for those cycling at a higher rate of speed in which case, bugs do not get out of the way for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling