Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,680,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Oh, yeah, San Diego, where high temperatures have been in the high 60s to 70s for the past month. Try riding in hot weather -- high 80s to high 90s, like the NYC area has been getting. Putting a styrofoam cap on your head makes you hotter, no question.
Have to disagree, if you are going more than 12 mph or so you generate a breeze so not true. It keeps the sun off your skin directly. Why do farm workers wear long sleeves and jeans when it's 100+? To keep the sun off your skin directly. It's not a flack jacket, modern helmets have vents for a reason.

If you are standing around bs-ing with a helmet then ya. Hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,056,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Strange. Other than this one guy I knew who had acquired brain damage as the result of an accident, the only time I've ever seen many of them, was when I did a google search for "acquired brain damage." I've heard of a couple of people in neighboring towns that had brain damage due to accidents, but one was a motorcycle accident where the rider was wearing a helmet, but he was sideswiped by a pickup truck and the helmet's visor cracked and stabbed him in the eye (he lost the eye, too)...
and another guy who lost control on the ski slopes and ended up head-first against a tree trunk. He wasn't wearing a helmet.
Its not that strange.
I know a few people who work with acquired brain damaged individuals
The reasons vary.
They all sustained head injuries.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM

705 posts, read 1,754,396 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah, San Diego, where high temperatures have been in the high 60s to 70s for the past month. Try riding in hot weather -- high 80s to high 90s, like the NYC area has been getting. Putting a styrofoam cap on your head makes you hotter, no question.
Not enough to risk my head. Dismiss San Diego, but I don't think you can dismiss me. I've ridden all over Texas, through the summer, for 19 years as an adult - since 1993. East Texas in July and August at 2pm on blacktop roads. 30 miles to and from grad school; 100-104 degrees. Not hot enough for me to go helmet free. Buy a well ventilated helmet and pour water onto your head regularly. Keep hydrated.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,772,024 times
Quote:
Try riding in hot weather -- high 80s to high 90s, like the NYC area has been getting. Putting a styrofoam cap on your head makes you hotter, no question.

HAHAHA we call that Spring.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,242,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Have to disagree, if you are going more than 12 mph or so you generate a breeze so not true. It keeps the sun off your skin directly. Why do farm workers wear long sleeves and jeans when it's 100+? To keep the sun off your skin directly. It's not a flack jacket, modern helmets have vents for a reason.

If you are standing around bs-ing with a helmet then ya. Hot.
I can often find shade when I bike, the shade providing part of a helmet is irrelevant in the forested northeast.

The breeze going through your head is much stronger when not blocked by a helmet. In 90°F heat with some humidity a helmet may a sweat drenched head while without a helmet I can be mostly sweat free with a breeze. Expensive helmets ventilate better but aren't perfect.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,111,431 times
Personaly like my climbing helmet it is situational, riding my roadbike or mountain biking I will mostly wear my helmet. riding to the store probably not. People have mentioned riders in Amsterdam- the Dutch are probably safer on a bike than walking, even they will normally wear a helmet on a skinny tire road bike.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,680,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I can often find shade when I bike, the shade providing part of a helmet is irrelevant in the forested northeast.

The breeze going through your head is much stronger when not blocked by a helmet. In 90°F heat with some humidity a helmet may a sweat drenched head while without a helmet I can be mostly sweat free with a breeze. Expensive helmets ventilate better but aren't perfect.
We don't get much shade in the desert. The helmet I use has more vents than helmet yet highly crash rated and it was less than 50 bucks.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,208,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Not enough to risk my head. Dismiss San Diego, but I don't think you can dismiss me. I've ridden all over Texas, through the summer, for 19 years as an adult - since 1993. East Texas in July and August at 2pm on blacktop roads. 30 miles to and from grad school; 100-104 degrees. Not hot enough for me to go helmet free. Buy a well ventilated helmet and pour water onto your head regularly. Keep hydrated.
Your own personal Hotter than Hell 30!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,772,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
I started in this crazy sport in 1984 at the 3rd HHH. My helmet back then was the Bell V1-Pro That was hot.

I now have the Giro Ionos. Big difference, It isn't hot anymore.
But I must say that on a few occassions I have gone without a helmet, in front of God and everybody! I felt so naked - kind of exciting. And I felt so decadent.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-18-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 05:02 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,212,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.
I'm thinking that maybe some people just flat out don't like being told what they HAVE to do (or wear in this case)..especially when considering they've been riding without one for years....maybe they feel that it should be THEIR choice, and no-one elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling