Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times

Advertisements

A cyclist was killed yesterday on the road near the trail where I ride. He did everything right. He had lights, reflective clothing, and a helmet. He was rear ended by a car that was probably going at least 30mph (the speed limit is 35).

In this case a helmet did not make one bit of a difference.

I think helmets are useful in many cases, but I think the benefits of them are often overstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
A cyclist was killed yesterday on the road near the trail where I ride. He did everything right. He had lights, reflective clothing, and a helmet. He was rear ended by a car that was probably going at least 30mph (the speed limit is 35).

Nor would it be expected. I don't think any experienced cyclist would really expect any difference in outcome.

Quote:
I think helmets are useful in many cases, but I think the benefits of them are often overstated.
This is so true. But who is doing the overstating?

One group alleging that the benefits of helmets being overstated are the anti-helmet zealots that only cite bike versus motor-vehicle altercations as the only circumstance that helmets are intended to protect us from. I have three cracked helmets, the benefits of which were not overstated and worked as specified under the circumstances in which I crashed. None of these altercations involved motor vehicles. The crashes resulted from equipment failure or various road surface conditions - all of which are unpredictable, so the helmet stays on for those circumstances. However, for potential altercations with motor vehicles, I don't rely on my helmet, but rather rely on biking skills gained from a lot of experience as a cyclist and a motor vehicle operator and knowledge of the rules of the road.

Another group overstating the benefits that just drives me nuts are parents that just slap a helmet on their kids heads and send them out on the road, thinking that is all they need. That's relying on that false sense of security.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-29-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
The dumbest thing I've seen is someone of age wearing a helmet but the chin strap was unbuckled.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-29-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

And seat belts and air bags aren't going to protect the driver of a small car that has a 60mph head on collision with a Mack Truck.

What's your point?

Not all accidents are created equal.

Just because helmets won't protect you under all circumstances, doesn't mean you shouldn't be protecting yourself for the many potential accident types when helmets can make a difference.

A cyclist getting hit by a car moving at 30mph is going have a lot more than just head injuries.

Last edited by RD5050; 08-30-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
And seat belts and air bags aren't going to protect the driver of a small car that has a 60mph head on collision with a Mack Truck.

What's your point?

Not all accidents are created equal.

Just because helmets won't protect you under all circumstances, doesn't mean you shouldn't be protecting yourself for the many potential accident types when helmets can make a difference.

A cyclist getting hit by a car moving at 30mph is going have a lot more than just head injuries.
Sounds like you are making the same point.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM

81 posts, read 266,176 times
I occasionally forget to wear one, but most of the time, I do wear one. I insist that my kids wear one, and I started off trying to practice what I preach, and then it just kind of rubbed off on me. What is really disturbing to me, though, is how many children in our n'hood do not wear one. I don't understand what their parents are thinking, frankly. I mean, the fact that we didn't have them when we, ourselves, were kids, doesn't change the fact that wearing a helmet could save a kid's life if he or she were to be hit by a car.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Finally a reasoned article (in the NYT) that isn't written by a driver who thinks that if they make us wear magic hats, they can wash their hands of all this sharing the road and building bike infrastructure nonsense:

To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose the Helmets

Totally agree with this. Since the last time I posted in this thread, I've used the bike share programs in DC, Minneapolis and Madison, and ridden helmetless. It made riding feel like a normal activity...it doesn't need to seem so dangerous.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
when I wore a helmet people on the street would always ask: "Why are you wearing a helmet? or bicycles dont go fast enough to need a helmet"

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when I wore a helmet people on the street would always ask: "Why are you wearing a helmet? or bicycles dont go fast enough to need a helmet"
Little do they know.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Some real intelligent people there. Do they question about carrying books or laptops too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling