U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How do you ride your bike
Fast - Under 30 years old 3 12.00%
Slow - Under 30 years old 1 4.00%
Fast - Over 30 years old 13 52.00%
Slow - Over 30 years old 5 20.00%
Other - 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 AM

5,876 posts, read 6,665,500 times

Advertisements

Just over 30, slow. On one of those cruisers that you can't stand :P

For me, it's more about safety and fear of injury...I broke my leg, tried to walk on it, and tore out all the tendons in my foot, so that my foot was actually facing the wrong way. I am not interested in doing that ever again. That means that a lot of the things I used to enjoy are no longer on the agenda, including riding really fast, and inline skating.

One thing about being slow though, there are a lot of guys who ride fast through my neighborhood and they're always shocked when I pass them on the uphills, on my old-lady bike with my junk in the trunk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM

5,463 posts, read 6,404,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Just over 30, slow. On one of those cruisers that you can't stand :P

For me, it's more about safety and fear of injury...I broke my leg, tried to walk on it, and tore out all the tendons in my foot, so that my foot was actually facing the wrong way. I am not interested in doing that ever again. That means that a lot of the things I used to enjoy are no longer on the agenda, including riding really fast, and inline skating.

One thing about being slow though, there are a lot of guys who ride fast through my neighborhood and they're always shocked when I pass them on the uphills, on my old-lady bike with my junk in the trunk
Sorry to hear about your foot. Glad you can cycle. We are a group of many tribes and styles
Can you do surgery and/or rehab/physical therapy to improve your condition?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

17,466 posts, read 14,131,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Over 30, definitely fast. The guys in the cycling club who are stronger are also 49-52. I'm 48. BUT age effects my back more so lots more stretching and tones of core work. Also some slower rides and recovery rides instead of just hammering all the time. Last night got dropped by the fast group, still averaged 21.3 over 33 miles.
It's like Maverick and Goose would say, "I feel the need; the need FOR SPEED!"
That being said, some of my most memorable rides have been with my daughters averaging 10MPH and stopping to see, hear and smell the sights when we ride in the woods.
Respectable average even in a peloton. All the old guys have the TT records. I asked some guys why and they said many guys retire early and have gobs of time to train. Awesome.

I usually play with the cat 3 fellas but sometimes will try and hang with the cat 1 riders for about 1 mile LMAO.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM

5,876 posts, read 6,665,500 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your foot. Glad you can cycle. We are a group of many tribes and styles
Can you do surgery and/or rehab/physical therapy to improve your condition?

I had surgery...a plate and a bunch of screws put in. It's as healed as it's going to be. It's not as flexible as it used to be and I have some nerve damage (If you touch the scar on the side of my leg, I feel the touch on the top of my foot), but I can walk without limping and it only hurts a lot when it's going to rain.

Finding a bike where I could put my feet flat on the ground was important, I can't point my toes on that foot anymore. I had a stress fracture right after I got the bike, but I don't think it was related.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had surgery...a plate and a bunch of screws put in. It's as healed as it's going to be. It's not as flexible as it used to be and I have some nerve damage (If you touch the scar on the side of my leg, I feel the touch on the top of my foot), but I can walk without limping and it only hurts a lot when it's going to rain.

Finding a bike where I could put my feet flat on the ground was important, I can't point my toes on that foot anymore. I had a stress fracture right after I got the bike, but I don't think it was related.
The visual I'm getting on this is not good. Dang.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Respectable average even in a peloton. All the old guys have the TT records. I asked some guys why and they said many guys retire early and have gobs of time to train. Awesome.

I usually play with the cat 3 fellas but sometimes will try and hang with the cat 1 riders for about 1 mile LMAO.
When I look at the riders I was dropped by, I'm not as bummed. AFAIK, all racers including groups from 2 racing clubs. The only non-racing club rider I know who stayed with the group is the cycling club mileage leader, so he has improved his fitness, while I was off the bike for 2 weeks to rehab an ouchy back. I'm still happy I stayed with them in March-early June, even getting some atta boys from the club riders in April for some pulls when they didn't wizz by 15 seconds later and actually liked my pace and stayed back until I pulled out and rotated back. Small victories; years past it was even harder to keep up with the Tuesday night guys. I think I have the respect from our club riders who race. When I'm in decent shape I can hang with them and contribute some pulls; I'm just not ready to race yet........very paranoid to crashing/falling during a race and injuring myself.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
When I look at the riders I was dropped by, I'm not as bummed. AFAIK, all racers including groups from 2 racing clubs. The only non-racing club rider I know who stayed with the group is the cycling club mileage leader, so he has improved his fitness, while I was off the bike for 2 weeks to rehab an ouchy back. I'm still happy I stayed with them in March-early June, even getting some atta boys from the club riders in April for some pulls when they didn't wizz by 15 seconds later and actually liked my pace and stayed back until I pulled out and rotated back. Small victories; years past it was even harder to keep up with the Tuesday night guys. I think I have the respect from our club riders who race. When I'm in decent shape I can hang with them and contribute some pulls; I'm just not ready to race yet........very paranoid to crashing/falling during a race and injuring myself.
I feel the same way. If some dude on a 25K bike wearing a skin suite and arrow helmet drops me after a good distance I'm ok with that.

I figure if I can bust up a paceline/pentolon here and there I've done my job!

I was about 18 when I realized I wasn't an elite athlete. Just out tormenting the local group rides now Those wheel suckers that look like they have parachutes deploy after the fast guys pull away probably don't like me much.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,629,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Let's just say I'm over 50 and glad to be riding, period. For me, it's either slow or not at all.
That's the funny part of the poll, when you are over 50 how do you define fast or slow? To me I am riding at the front until some 16 year old girl on a BMX flies by me.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,571,513 times
53 -- Slow, like I do everything

Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I feel the same way. If some dude on a 25K bike wearing a skin suite and arrow helmet drops me after a good distance I'm ok with that.

I figure if I can bust up a paceline/pentolon here and there I've done my job!

I was about 18 when I realized I wasn't an elite athlete. Just out tormenting the local group rides now Those wheel suckers that look like they have parachutes deploy after the fast guys pull away probably don't like me much.
It's a good feeling!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling