Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,769,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Abolish zoning regulations so more people can live within biking distance of work.

Abolish outdated laws requiring bicycles to be in roads and require them to ride on sidewalks where available. At the time these were created bicycles were in the roads just like horses which I suppose made a certain sort of sense when the bicyle was the only vehicle technologically between a wagon and a train. However, technology has moved on. A guy on a bicycle isn't that much wider than a person on foot, and a cyclist on pedestrian accident will usually have a much happier outcome than a car on cyclist accident. Put in more sidewalks instead of bike lanes.
Really? It can be just as deadly. Are you aware of how fast cyclists can go? Or are you just referring to 12-yr-olds on little bmx bikes riding around the neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,148,452 times
I've been in two wrecks so far. No death and/or surgery required for those involved yet.

Moreover bikers would self limit their speeds due to being in a more obstacle rich environment on the sidewalk.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,769,640 times
Quote:
I've been in two wrecks so far. No death and/or surgery required for those involved yet.

Moreover bikers would self limit their speeds due to being in a more obstacle rich environment on the sidewalk.
But why? Today I was cruising along at 30mph, I would not want to ride in such an obstacle rich environment such as a side walk or especially a multi-use path where that girl was killed. Did you click on the link? Sidewalks are for walking.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,206,266 times
Quote:
Abolish zoning regulations so more people can live within biking distance of work.

Abolish outdated laws requiring bicycles to be in roads and require them to ride on sidewalks where available. At the time these were created bicycles were in the roads just like horses which I suppose made a certain sort of sense when the bicyle was the only vehicle technologically between a wagon and a train. However, technology has moved on. A guy on a bicycle isn't that much wider than a person on foot, and a cyclist on pedestrian accident will usually have a much happier outcome than a car on cyclist accident. Put in more sidewalks instead of bike lanes.
NO, NO,NO Too dangerous!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM

733 posts, read 983,201 times
Bike lanes are actually a great way to get more folks cycling.

This year the city drew bike lanes on two of the roads I use for my work commute everyday, and I've definitely noticed more people riding in those areas already.

Since these lanes have been added, I am also given noticeably more space by passing motorists. Bike lanes are a win/win if you ask me. Now, if I could only get those random dummies to stop parking their cars in them.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,131,312 times
Speed up global warming.

The biggest barrier in my area is winter and some very steep hills.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,061,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Speed up global warming.

The biggest barrier in my area is winter and some very steep hills.
Agreed, I live in the same area as snofarmer and we have a very long cold season and heart attack-inducing hills (they're very fun to go down, though). That still doesn't keep cyclists or bicycles chained to balconies from being a common sight in the warmer months. In addition, most of the roads, especially rural roads, up here have healthy shoulders to keep you out of the way of automotive traffic, and roads apt for biking are posted "BIKE ROUTE".

Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,405,487 times
I didn't think of this but making roads more narrow could work.
Mpls City Council Considers Lowering Residential Speed Limit « CBS Minnesota

Right now Minneapolis and a suburb are introducing Advisory bike lanes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJx_3HiSFnI
Its very simple but it still is very confusing to some people.
'Advisory' bike lanes baffle some in Edina | StarTribune.com

Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 PM

733 posts, read 983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Right now Minneapolis and a suburb are introducing Advisory bike lanes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJx_3HiSFnI
Its very simple but it still is very confusing to some people.
'Advisory' bike lanes baffle some in Edina | StarTribune.com
Lollerz, somebody said they are "confusing and dangerous." Nah, bro, what's dangerous is somebody with such a tiny, easily defeated brain careening around the streets at 60mph in two tons of steel.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,405,487 times
Lol yea i assume they are scared of passing a cyclist and at the same time a car coming in the opposite direction (even though these are neighborhood streets, with the low traffic what is the chances of that situation happening)
Even if there is oncoming traffic just stay behind the cyclist for the 10 seconds it takes for the traffic to go by and go around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling