Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM

207 posts, read 564,178 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think that I'm just going to go witht the "road" hybrid bike. I did some research and these are acceptable for a duathlon.

I apologize if I offended anyone, I really didn't mean to. I guess when one of the posters said they didn't know what a duathlon was...well it kind of surprised me...that's all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM

50,075 posts, read 46,640,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think that I'm just going to go witht the "road" hybrid bike. I did some research and these are acceptable for a duathlon.

I apologize if I offended anyone, I really didn't mean to. I guess when one of the posters said they didn't know what a duathlon was...well it kind of surprised me...that's all.

It really was not a big deal.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,410,715 times
Any bike with road wheels will do. One of my college buddies decided to enter a duathlon and being the over-achiever that he is entered the pro class at the national duathlon championships.(He was a heavily recruited college cross country runner who could run 4:10 miles) Competed with an early 70's vintage Raleigh road bike that must have weighed 30 lbs and did not use aero bars. Ended up finishing in the top 5 of the pro category because of his running.

So I always tell everyone, you can race on just about anything. It's the motor not the machine, if you have the talent you will do well despite what kind of bike you are riding.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,767,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
So you know something about bikes? LOL... is a Hybrid a Cruiser???? Or are you talking those bikes they ride on the beach?????

When I say not top $$ I don't exactly mean el cheapo...(is that a word??? need to check "words with friends"..

But I am talking about under $1000.
You took that wrong. He was saying that a hybrid would be just fine in just doing it because it is NOT a cruiser. IOW just about any bike, hopefully a road bike, other than a cruiser (that would include that hybrid) would get you to the finish line, so since the hybrid that you are looking at is NOT a cruiser, it would probably be fine in getting you through the race, as well. If you like the sport and want to progress, a tri-bike just might be in your future.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-21-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling