Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Road rash, hands, knees, hip, elbows, sprained wrist, mud in eye, chain ring marks on chin, .
Been riding for 46years, road & mTn, no helmet.
Chain ring on chin? Let's hear the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:32 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,120,232 times
LOL
O.k. Your just back from living in CB Co. for 5 years and you go for a ride with some friends. They ask, what's it like riding in the MTN's.
So to demonstrate, I
thought hey, ride down the landing for the
Copper peak ski flying landing

Then 2/3ds of the way down I go over the bars.
Superman would have been proud of me.
Flying through the air, arms stretched out in front and towing a bike to boot.
After the first hit/bounce on the ground my bike becomes separated from me.
(toe clips)
I'm rolling down the hill as my bike is cartwheeling right behind me.
I stopped first and the bike landed on top of me.

I learned a lot that day. Deep chin cuts really bleed a lot
I can now control my decent down ski jump landings.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM

733 posts, read 981,741 times
Hahaha, this is a good thread.

I broke my clavicle in a high speed crash in May of this year. Now I have a plate and a handful of screws in my shoulder. The surgeon said it would be at least three months before I could ride again, but I was back in about six weeks. The shoulder is still kinda wonky, but no big deal. I put some nice cracks in my helmet that I'm really glad aren't currently in my skull, haha.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:10 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,758,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
LOL
O.k. Your just back from living in CB Co. for 5 years and you go for a ride with some friends. They ask, what's it like riding in the MTN's.
So to demonstrate, I
thought hey, ride down the landing for the
Copper peak ski flying landing

Then 2/3ds of the way down I go over the bars.
Superman would have been proud of me.
Flying through the air, arms stretched out in front and towing a bike to boot.
After the first hit/bounce on the ground my bike becomes separated from me.
(toe clips)
I'm rolling down the hill as my bike is cartwheeling right behind me.
I stopped first and the bike landed on top of me.

I learned a lot that day. Deep chin cuts really bleed a lot
I can now control my decent down ski jump landings.
Yeah, but did it look good.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,190,359 times
3 years ago doing a left hand turn, front wheel goes flat and I go down on my left. Landed on hip and hand and arm. Glove saved the hand. Hemotoma the size of a large grapefruit and some road rash on arm and leg. Doctor was surprised I didn't break my hip. My skiing reflexes helped me roll on the back left shoulder so no head impact.
Worst I saw was a pump come lose from its holder on the frame, cyclist kicks it forward as he's pedaling and it goes through front rim, shredding spokes and disintegrating front fork from frame. He was in neck brace with some cracked upper vertabrae and needed IIRC needed some facial stitches. But he is OK and now as strong as ever 2 1/2 years later. Great response by the club; road was blocked off both ways immediately, he was gently sat up and off the road and others picked up bike parts and dialed 911. The drivers around us were also outstanding and asking if they could assist.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 PM

733 posts, read 981,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Worst I saw was a pump come lose from its holder on the frame, cyclist kicks it forward as he's pedaling and it goes through front rim, shredding spokes and disintegrating front fork from frame. He was in neck brace with some cracked upper vertabrae and needed IIRC needed some facial stitches. But he is OK and now as strong as ever 2 1/2 years later. Great response by the club; road was blocked off both ways immediately, he was gently sat up and off the road and others picked up bike parts and dialed 911. The drivers around us were also outstanding and asking if they could assist.
Ahhhhhh! That gives me chills.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM

645 posts, read 1,271,494 times
Mechanical injury September 1979:

I was cycling along at dusk. I was headed to the Union Canal Tunnel in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. I was sprinting along at 30 mph when I entered the old trail that followed the towpath. I’d been there many times before, so this was routine. As I sat up to coast along the path, I saw something strange looming in the rapidly approaching entrance. As I closed, I recognized the form of a rusty 3/8th cable that had been strung across the entrance. It had no reflectors or signs, and it blended in with the background. By the time I went back down to grab the breaks, I collided with the cable. It clotheslined me rather violently to the ground. As the blinding white light and the metallic taste subsided, I laid there feeling no pain and thinking, “Wow! That was a rush! I can’t believe I wasn’t hurt Man, I hope my bike’s ok because I’d hate to have to walk home!” Then I tried to get up, but a searing pain gripped both my motionless arms, and I could hear the ever so slight sound of gristle and bone grinding. Still unaware of the extent of my injuries, I again tried to sit up. As I looked at my motionless right arm, I saw it just lie on the ground as my torso rose. My unresponsive arm bent where it’s not supposed to between the elbow and shoulder. I pressed on, and great pain gripped my right bicep, so I tried to grab my right arm with my left, and boy did that hurt! I’d broken both Humerus bones midway between the elbow and shoulder. When the doc confirmed that both Humerus bones were broken, he found great amusement when I quipped, “That’s so humorous doc!”

Mechanical Injury December 1980:

I was drafting along six feet behind a tractor-trailer through the city Lebanon, Pennsylvania. I was keeping up with the truck, and we were both exceeding the 25 mph speed limit on one of the main thoroughfares (422 East), which is both two lanes and one way. The gray haired woman in her late 60s Sport Fury behind me wouldn’t have any parts of this. She laid on the horn, got within two feet of my rear tire, and began screaming for me to move out of the way. I waved her to pass us in the left lane, which was completely free of traffic. She then pulls right up next to me, yells something about disrespectful kids these days and other insults I couldn’t completely hear, so I just flip her off. She then proceeds to swerve over at me, bumps me, I ricocheted off her fender, and I sideswipe the parked traffic that lined the streets. My right brake lever was slammed onto my hand, and it broke my right pinky finger. Since I was traveling along at roughly 35 mph, I considered my injury rather light.

With the second incident, would you believe that I got the very same doctor as I the previous year? He walked in, looked at me, laughed and said, "Son, I think you need to stay off that bicycle!" I haven't, and I continue to cycle off and on to this day. I've just been lucky as I could fill a book with criminal acts motorists have done to me and other natural collisions, close calls, and the like.

Mental shock May 1985:

I was home on leave, bored, so at 0300, I went out for a ride. I proceeded onto an open Army base, Fort Indiantown Gap. As I rode along, I tried different routes. I turned a corner and rode up to a gate that’s usually locked. To my surprise, it was wide opened, so curiosity edged me to press on. Suddenly, I was in an area where I’d never been, but it looked strangely familiar to a place I’d been on Camp Lejeune, N.C. to pick up ammo. Shock gripped me when I realized I’d mistakenly ridden into the Gap’s ammunition dump. In the same instant, I could hear sirens, and flood lights illuminated me like I was some actor escaping a German WWII POW camp in the movies. As I stared in shock, bewilderment and disbelief, three vehicles surrounded me. Sounds of excited shouting, doors being thrown open, and 12 gauge pump actions racking could be heard. Without being told and in one fluid motion, I threw down my bike and belly flopped to the ground, and I lay there motionless in spread eagle.

Once I calmed them down and gave them my military I.D., explained my situation, and ribbed them that on Marine Corps bases, we keep the ammunition dump locked up, the security, military police and myself all had a good laugh. Thank god that happened in 1985 and not after 2001...

Thanks for reading. Cheers,
bolillo_loco

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 09-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: I am no Rhodes scholar...

Old 09-30-2012, 12:36 AM

757 posts, read 1,322,585 times
I was on roller blades, jumped off a curb and my foot landed in a pot hole and got stuck, my body kept going and when I came to a stop, I tried to stand up, my leg bent in half right above the skate boot.

I had 3 compound fractures.

It's difficult to take a photo of an x ray. Lol. But you get the idea.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,758,218 times
Don't wear rollerblades when you cycle.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Default Let's compare cycling injuries.

Why? Do you get points? Is there a prize? Is that really a contest? I mean, I've had plenty of breaks, scrapes, bumps, wounds and other injuries and didn't even need a bike to sustain them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling