Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times

Advertisements

I scan Craigslist for stuff I want to buy, usually used. I look for bargains, and I bought my minivan and Honda Civic HX that way. I haven’t had much luck selling on Craigslist though, only my 1993 Mazda MX6LS V6 – sold it the same day I advertised it in summer 2010. However, I only got $1000 for it. I “gave it away” at that price because he was a college student so I was helping him out, as someone gave me a car deal when I was in college too.

Now, I've gotten 4 great Craigslist bike deals! First I bought a great condition 80’s vintage Raleigh Marathon, and it had a Pletscher Rear Rack so it was worth something more, but it was worth less having heavy steel rims and it was a 10 speed and had a bolt on rear axle. I paid $160 for it, but I should have bargained $140 for it for having steel rims and a bolt on rear axle. Because in 1987 my parents bought me a 1987 Raleigh Marathon for college and it had sealed bearing aluminum rims with full quick releases. Well, I made a lot of modifications to it and in all I spent $821.05 on it. See the before and after pics! Now I kept the original parts in case I resell it because no one will pay $800 for a vintage bike! I upgraded the wheels to an aluminum rim sealed bearing wheelset, and made it a 14 speed [7 speed cassette upgrade]. I also gave it EXPENSIVE Continental Ultra Gatorskin Hardshell 27” tires! So I’ll get a fast puncture proof ride! Pumped up to max pressure the tires roll well and don’t feel slow!

My next Craigslist bike deal was a Park PCS-9 bike stand for $75. But I was cheated a bit, the seller advertised a PCS-10 bike stand but when I got there it was a PCS-9. But it looked ok enough. Now using it after awhile, I’d say the PCS-9 was all I ever needed. The screw tightening holding mechanism just might be better than the quick release clamp on mechanism in the PCS-10. So it worked out ok. And now I noticed a BIG DIFFERENCE in how easy it is to tune up and check my bikes derailleurs and brakes! Now my bikes are up in the air when I tune these, not the bike being upside down or held up partially. After using a bike stand I recommend that serious bike people who own several bikes and do their own tuneups should own a bike stand! See: Park Tool Co. » PCS-9 : Home Mechanic Repair Stand : Portable Repair Stands The PCS-9 cost about $130 shipped from online. It also helped me a lot when I clean my bike chains on 4 road bikes with my Park Chain Gang Cleaning kit.

3rd Craiglist deal was a bike stand holder, see: XPORT Bikes Aloft 2 Storage Rack - Indoor Storage
The guy advertised it for $50 cash, I emailed him that I have a minivan and can pick it up tonight for $40. He settled for $45 cash. Made the deal and it was in good condition. I now have 4 of these!

Last Craigslist bike deal was 2 Onguard Bulldog ULocks sets with cables - $20 in all! It’s this: Amazon.com: OnGuard Bulldog DT 5012 Bicycle U-Lock and Extra Security Cable: Sports & Outdoors
So I saved $70 on this deal. But I will send both of these lock to my cousins to use in the Phillippines – they don’t sell good quality Ulocks there! I already have a good set of longer Onguard Ulocks, one of them a combo lock!

So have you ever gotten any good deals off of Craigslist?
Attached Thumbnails
Your Craigslist Bike Deals!-modified-ralaigh-marathon-mixte.jpg   Your Craigslist Bike Deals!-craigslist-ad-marathon.jpg   Your Craigslist Bike Deals!-bike-stand.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I got my early 80s Univega on Craigslist for $50. It didn't necessarily seem like such a good deal at first, because it looked like this:

But I knew I had found a good bike for my plans. It was a good starting point, anyway. Now it looks like this:

Now it's by far the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of bikes.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I sold two bikes and made even money on how much I paid for them. I sold a Specialized Rockhopper and a mt bike with front and rear suspension. I pocketed a grand.
Month later I found a Electra Rally Sport I enjoy. I picked up the Rally Sport for $80, they sell for $500. My body can not take off roading on the bike anymore. A cruser is just right.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Hey Lamplight - that's quite a good deal you got, plus yopu then upgraded the wheels.

My latest Craigslist deals:

1) Planet Bike Cascadia Fenders, advertised for $20 in good condition, when I got there they were very dirty, and then I said to the seller they don't look good enough for my road bike and I'd rather buy new... He lowered the price to $10 and I couldn't refuse. I clean them while taking a bath and gave them a good scrubbing, and then putting them on my bike they looked OK enough. These fenders are cheapest online at $40 + shipping, bike shops sell them for $55.

20 Shimano PDA-530 pedals for $30, in good condition. These are cheapest on ebay for around $56 shipped.

Here's a nice Craigslist deal I have to pass up, because I only have space for ONE vintage road bike in my bike collection!
Puch Mixte, Jeunet Franche Comte Mixte,

Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I've been commuting on my old mtb which I bought brand new in 1992 (93 model). But to make the bike work with the city bus bike racks, I had to remove my Surly front rack, so now I can't haul nearly as many groceries with it on the weekend. I never realized just how much I used that front rack until I took it off. Also, I got this bike when I was in 8th grade, and I can't even begin to describe all the things it's gotten me into and out of in it's 20 year life. At this point, the bike holds quite a lot of sentimental value for me, and I feel kind of bad using it for commuting in nasty weather, hanging on the front of a bus half the time. So I've decided to find a second old mtb to build as a new commuter, and put the front rack back on my other one so it can sort of "retire". I'll still use it to get my groceries and occasionally haul the super heavy stuff, but it will no longer be subjected to all the perils of commuting.

But the best part of this decision is now I get to shop for another old bike on Craigslist, which I love doing. And even better, customize it to suit my needs once I get it. Hopefully I'll have another good deal to post soon!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Ive had soooo many good deals on CL I cant even count them. Old, vintage steel I use for commuters. Conversely, I give back too . . . the bikes Ive sold on CL are great deals for those who got them. After you wade through the many "BRAND NEW WALM*MART ROADMASTER--CLASSIC GIRLS MTB, 250.00-MUST SELL", there isgreat stuff to be had.
Our CL here in KY has so much great old stuff I feel like adding an addition to my house to get it all

Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I got my daughter's Giant MTB for $50, my youngest's Electra Hawaii cruiser for $50. I bought an Electra Townie for $200, not an amazing deal but not bad either, just so I'd have an extra, super-simple bike for friends to ride.

I bought one of the early Specialized Stumpjumpers for $35, cleaned it up a bit, put air in the tires and sold it for a decent profit.

I've seen a lot of other bikes that I'd like to buy, either for myself or to resell, but my husband doesn't understand the idea of needing more than one bike per rider in the household.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
I got a really great Fuji Team Issue Pro with full Dura Ace off of Ebay for about $620, shipped. It's a great bike, and I exchanged a whole bunch of emails with the guy I bought it from because he was a really cool dude.

I also learned a helpful hint for shipping bikes that I didn't know before. I called around to arrange the shipping so the seller didn't have to do it. I gave Fedex the box dimensions and weight, and they quoted me $175. Then I said, "Never mind," went to Fedex online and made my own shipping label. By playing with the measurements (ultimately reducing one single measurement by only one inch), the cost went from $175 to $65.

I was expecting them to re-measure and charge me the $175, but they didn't. Moral of the story: Make your own shipping label and you can save $100 on shipping a bike.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Snagged a 97 or 98 model (not sure) Cannondale F500 hardtail MTB off CL for $100 a year ago...guy who had it just kind of rode it around on the flat trails, never did anything technical so it was in great shape. Just needed new brake pads and needs new tires and pedals soon. I was skeptical about the Headshok at first, but now I absolutely love it. This thing takes a pounding but is a solid, made in USA bike.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Trek 2300 for $750 on Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling