Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times

Advertisements

Since I got a license, I've almost always chose to park my car and walk in rather than go through the drive-thru. I find that it gives me a bit more exercise and is less painful than trying to align my car with the window, or so I perceive it to be.

On the other hand, I actually prefer drive-thrus whilst on bike, as bikes are more of a pain to lock up than cars (I have yet to see an automatic bike lock). One place, a local pharmacy, even has nothing you can mount your bike on!

Drive-thrus used to be accessible to bicyclists, and I would often pick up my prescriptions on my bike or even go for fast food on it. Yet this all seemed to change in about 2008-09, with weight-activated sensors and worse, policies that preclude cyclists from going through drive-thrus out of fear that a motorist might hit them and the establishment will get sued! At least one state has granted an omnibus liability waiver for this, but Minnesota is not yet one of them.

Do you go through drive-thrus with your bike, or are they off-limits to cyclists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Since I got a license, I've almost always chose to park my car and walk in rather than go through the drive-thru. I find that it gives me a bit more exercise and is less painful than trying to align my car with the window, or so I perceive it to be.

On the other hand, I actually prefer drive-thrus whilst on bike, as bikes are more of a pain to lock up than cars (I have yet to see an automatic bike lock). One place, a local pharmacy, even has nothing you can mount your bike on!

Drive-thrus used to be accessible to bicyclists, and I would often pick up my prescriptions on my bike or even go for fast food on it. Yet this all seemed to change in about 2008-09, with weight-activated sensors and worse, policies that preclude cyclists from going through drive-thrus out of fear that a motorist might hit them and the establishment will get sued! At least one state has granted an omnibus liability waiver for this, but Minnesota is not yet one of them.

Do you go through drive-thrus with your bike, or are they off-limits to cyclists?
Yes, and I'm going to continue to exercise my freedom to use drive ups on my bicycles. I refuse to be treated any differently than a person in a car.

There have been a few times when I was asked to come inside to do my business which it did. However, the conversation once I was inside got hot , blunt and very, very plain stating that I would sue if I was ever discriminated in this manner again!! A couple of follow up letters from my family attorney to the offending businesses , as well as my local politicians, reinforced my resolve to pursue my freedom to follow the rules of the road and ride my bicycles where and when I please.

I'm old , grumpy , crusty and downright mean when pressed in the wrong manner!! Trying to take my cycling rights away is going to get all sorts of negative attention from me.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
The only business I use that has a drive-thru is a bank. I use it all the time and no one says anything.
If they did, I would pull my 18.37 and go somewhere else

I feel drive-thru's are backwards. All those cars idling, filling the air with toxin's, wasting fuel that we have to have fake wars to keep flowing . . . I believe you should only be allowed to use them if you are on a bike

Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM

733 posts, read 986,991 times
Grandpa Pipes, you are now my hero, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I feel drive-thru's are backwards. All those cars idling, filling the air with toxin's, wasting fuel that we have to have fake wars to keep flowing . . . I believe you should only be allowed to use them if you are on a bike
Truth!!

I've never used a drive through on my bike. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I used one at all.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
No, not worth the road rage some idiots exhibit. I'm not going to jail cause some jack wagon thinks they own the road and want to demonstrate how close to me they can push their cage. Some people get behind the wheel and become the only person on the planet. Their planet.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM

7,169 posts, read 9,224,263 times
I've used them in the past. Most businesses around here seem to have signs prohibiting bikes in the drive thru nowadays. I figure it's their business so they have the right to serve who they want.

Boycotting would work if more people road bikes. Since there aint a lot of cyclists I just treat it as a break to walk around a little. It's just one more thing you have to deal with if you want to cycle. Certainly not the biggest issue.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
I used to go the drive-thrus at my banks quite often. Never had any issues with other drivers. For the most part, the tellers were envious, because it was only on nice days that I made the short trip. BOA was the only bank that I used that had a policy of no cyclists in the drive-thru. But since I got a smartphone and use the apps, I rarely need to go to the bank at all, unless it is too big of a deposit for the type of accounts I have. I do have to say, it is kind of fun to see the look on their faces when I do ride up on my bike and deposit a $40,000 check into my commercial account.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
Ive used the bank ATM drive-thru, but notice the machine is lower, set for the car window, so actually a bit tough to use via bike.

Never tried fast food drive throughs on a bike, but never used them with a car either because I hate just sitting there in line, for an order thats most likely screwed up due to the poor PA system and/or listening skills of the order-taker.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
A lawyer, my god.
Threatening a business.

1. They can refuse to serve you for any reason.
2. The rules of the road.
This is on private property they can impose their own rules.
and what does riding your bike up to a fast food window have to do with the riles of the road?
3. If you don't like their rules go some place else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

There have been a few times when I was asked to come inside to do my business which it did. However, the conversation once I was inside got hot , blunt and very, very plain stating that I would sue if I was ever discriminated in this manner again!! A couple of follow up letters from my family attorney to the offending businesses , as well as my local politicians, reinforced my resolve to pursue my freedom to follow the rules of the road and ride my bicycles where and when I please.

I'm old , grumpy , crusty and downright mean when pressed in the wrong manner!! Trying to take my cycling rights away is going to get all sorts of negative attention from me.

ps yes, I have ridden up on my bike, and if they don't like it I take my business else where.

Get a lawyer, that is what is wrong with society every one is so quick to sue someone over nothing.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
A lawyer, my god.
Threatening a business.

1. They can refuse to serve you for any reason.
2. The rules of the road.
This is on private property they can impose their own rules.
and what does riding your bike up to a fast food window have to do with the riles of the road?
3. If you don't like their rules go some place else.

ps yes, I have ridden up on my bike, and if they don't like it I take my business else where.

Get a lawyer, that is what is wrong with society every one is so quick to sue someone over nothing.
Either way in the end the lawyers win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling