Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
THIS case really is a case where haste makes real waste. Wait a bit for after holidays sales to buy a real bike from a real bike store that will last you rather than that piece of china crap sold at every big box in town!

Nothing is worse than sinking your hard earned money into a crap bike from a big box only to have it break down as soon as you get it home. Years ago america had "hardware store & catalog bikes" that were american made price bikes that were really good simple bikes. Those days are gone being replaced by made in china junk that is so inferior to even these old american price bikes.

Now it is safest to buy from a bike shop to get a decent safe bike.
It's nice to know that you think I ride "crap" that is not "real" and not bought from a "real bike store" and that you think it fell apart "as soon as you get it home". YOU ARE 100% WRONG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,954 times
Oh btw way, what do you ride that doesn't have a part from overseas?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
These days you can get a halfway decent bike from the big box stores, but it'll still have to be one of their more expensive models, and the biggest problem will likely be a half-assed assembly job. If you simply cannot find a good used bike on Craigslist then by all means, try something from Walmart. But make sure you get the best one they have and then learn to work on it yourself (although I think that's a good idea no matter where the bike comes from). I mean, if you don't have any bike shops in your area and there's nothing on Craiglist, you don't really have any other options, do you? Unless you'd be willing to order a bike online, but then you'd have to be pretty darn sure of which size you need.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
My bikes (Giant) that I bought from a bike store were expensive (to me anyway) AND they were both made in China. They are nice bikes and I love them.

Just got my little Schwinn folder (hubby bought mail order as gift) which arrived directly in box from China. Took it to my bike store for new bike tuneup, and for the money it's a nice little bike. Aren't practically ALL bikes made in China these days (unless one spends HUGE bux)?

I don't see anything wrong with someone buying a first bike from a big box or mail order store. I do recommend they take it to a bike shop for a going-over first. Depending where one lives, it can be difficult to find any good deals on Craigslist.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM

733 posts, read 986,853 times
I would absolutely throw fenders on your bike, if you're doing a 30 mile commute. Keeping a little dryer is always nice, and fenders are pretty low profile, so it's not like they'll bring any negative attributes to the bike in terms of performance.

I have a fender-less bike and a fender-equipped one. I always have a big old frowny face when I get caught in the rain on my fender-less one. I don't like getting that spray up my back.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My bikes (Giant) that I bought from a bike store were expensive (to me anyway) AND they were both made in China. They are nice bikes and I love them.

Just got my little Schwinn folder (hubby bought mail order as gift) which arrived directly in box from China. Took it to my bike store for new bike tuneup, and for the money it's a nice little bike. Aren't practically ALL bikes made in China these days (unless one spends HUGE bux)?

I don't see anything wrong with someone buying a first bike from a big box or mail order store. I do recommend they take it to a bike shop for a going-over first. Depending where one lives, it can be difficult to find any good deals on Craigslist.
Giant has a pretty interesting history. They built so many of the middle-to low end line of so many different bike companies before they produced bikes under their own label. I almost bought one of their full carbon T-Mobil team bikes that was used in the TdF.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
It's nice to know that you think I ride "crap" that is not "real" and not bought from a "real bike store" and that you think it fell apart "as soon as you get it home". YOU ARE 100% WRONG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Oh btw way, what do you ride that doesn't have a part from overseas?
Sorry, mate. I've seen to many big box bikes that fall apart or can't be fixed to wonder about their quality.

As far as imported parts go that depends on who is controlling the suppliers quality. Big box bikes are built for price only with the thinnest nod to quality to get it out the door.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
At the end of the day, I think that excessive railing against bikes from "big box stores" is more counterproductive than productive, especially when it's used in a condescending and insulting fashion. The most important thing is that people get on a bike in the first place - if they need to buy a Mongoose from Costco... so be it!! Think of them as "starter bikes."

I ride a Specialized Epic carbon fiber road bike frame with a full, modern Shimano gearset, vintage Campagnolo headset, Kestrel carbon fork, etc etc etc - totally boutique. I've had friends buy $250 fixies online that are pretty negligible quality, but they get them to go riding with me... then they upgrade the tires... then the brakes... then the wheels... then the headset... before too long, they're riding what's basically a bike they custom-built themselves to their ideal specs and they learned a ton about riding and bike maintenance in the process, and eventually get a higher-grade frame and build that up. I think it's great, and it's fun!

The OP already stated that they haven't seen anything materialize on CL and also don't have any access to a pro bike shop. Advise them within that framework rather than tearing them down...

Anyways: Rob is totally right. Get out a wrench and tighten that sucker up good, everywhere you can. Get some proper, dedicated chain lube (not WD-40), look up some youtube videos that explain how to fine-tune your deraileurs (front and back) and make sure that it's riding smooth and not skipping gears (skipping gears when you're standing up and torquing it from a standstill is one of the least pleasant experiences a man can have ).

On my bike, I have my front brakes much tighter than my rear; trick I learned from track racing cars, if you skid, you have no control. I basically can't lock up my rear wheel. Most of your stopping power comes from the front (think of pushing vs. dragging); I've managed to neatly maneuver out of accidents while braking downhill because I still had the control to do so, where if I'd locked up, I'd have been screwed and creamed.

Before too long, you'll probably start needing to replace a few parts here or there; gears, brakes, deraileurs, etc. When you do, replace them with quality stuff and you'll quickly see the difference it makes.

And in regards to your original question... I don't use fenders on my bike because I ride in a dry climate and it's rarely needed; I also don't want the added weight or aerodynamic drag, because I tend to go all-out for speed. They are indeed useful on thicker-tired commuter bikes, especially in wetter climates, to keep from slinging dirt on your butt and back. This said, when I had a mountain bike, I just got a Blackburn Mountain Rack; they're rugged, extremely useful if you're a commuter, and they're thick so they double as a rear fender. You may as well get one of those for the added utility, and then just get a front fender.

Thinner tires are better for speed and handling but they tend to wear out faster and offer you less protection from pinch flats and the like (I prefer skinnier tires and wheels, personally). Unless you actually plan to use the bike offroad often, I'd say that you should get a commuter tire rather than the knobby dirt tires they usually put on mountain bikes in the store: they slow you down, impede handling, and have a rougher ride.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
At the end of the day, I think that excessive railing against bikes from "big box stores" is more counterproductive than productive, especially when it's used in a condescending and insulting fashion. The most important thing is that people get on a bike in the first place - if they need to buy a Mongoose from Costco... so be it!! Think of them as "starter bikes."

I ride a Specialized Epic carbon fiber road bike frame with a full, modern Shimano gearset, vintage Campagnolo headset, Kestrel carbon fork, etc etc etc - totally boutique. I've had friends buy $250 fixies online that are pretty negligible quality, but they get them to go riding with me... then they upgrade the tires... then the brakes... then the wheels... then the headset... before too long, they're riding what's basically a bike they custom-built themselves to their ideal specs and they learned a ton about riding and bike maintenance in the process, and eventually get a higher-grade frame and build that up. I think it's great, and it's fun!

The OP already stated that they haven't seen anything materialize on CL and also don't have any access to a pro bike shop. Advise them within that framework rather than tearing them down...

Anyways: Rob is totally right. Get out a wrench and tighten that sucker up good, everywhere you can. Get some proper, dedicated chain lube (not WD-40), look up some youtube videos that explain how to fine-tune your deraileurs (front and back) and make sure that it's riding smooth and not skipping gears (skipping gears when you're standing up and torquing it from a standstill is one of the least pleasant experiences a man can have ).

On my bike, I have my front brakes much tighter than my rear; trick I learned from track racing cars, if you skid, you have no control. I basically can't lock up my rear wheel. Most of your stopping power comes from the front (think of pushing vs. dragging); I've managed to neatly maneuver out of accidents while braking downhill because I still had the control to do so, where if I'd locked up, I'd have been screwed and creamed.

Before too long, you'll probably start needing to replace a few parts here or there; gears, brakes, deraileurs, etc. When you do, replace them with quality stuff and you'll quickly see the difference it makes.

And in regards to your original question... I don't use fenders on my bike because I ride in a dry climate and it's rarely needed; I also don't want the added weight or aerodynamic drag, because I tend to go all-out for speed. They are indeed useful on thicker-tired commuter bikes, especially in wetter climates, to keep from slinging dirt on your butt and back. This said, when I had a mountain bike, I just got a Blackburn Mountain Rack; they're rugged, extremely useful if you're a commuter, and they're thick so they double as a rear fender. You may as well get one of those for the added utility, and then just get a front fender.

Thinner tires are better for speed and handling but they tend to wear out faster and offer you less protection from pinch flats and the like (I prefer skinnier tires and wheels, personally). Unless you actually plan to use the bike offroad often, I'd say that you should get a commuter tire rather than the knobby dirt tires they usually put on mountain bikes in the store: they slow you down, impede handling, and have a rougher ride.
Great post - +1.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
The big box store bikes are generally more for a demographic of someone wanting a bike for a toy - kids riding around the neighborhood. They are perfect for that application, low cost, short distances, and great for getting school - not a great loss if stolen. If one really takes to the "sport" then their appetite for better performance and reliability will get whetted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling