Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 AM

209 posts, read 304,273 times

Advertisements

This is why I would always use the sidewalks, even if it's technically against the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
My 20 year old and my 15 year old both love their bikes and it scares me to death, as their mom. We have "bike lanes" in town that people think were put there for extra parking. Car drivers are horrible with respect to cyclists. I have known three people on a personal level who were killed on motorcycles, not due to speeding or reckless driving, but purely because the cars that hit them were not paying attention.. and a motorcycle should be more noticeable than a bicycle!

Scares me to death when my kids go out on their bikes.
So would a 40ft Gillig LowFloor, but at least two or three are hit a year, over here.. Even the city busses arent completly safe and that 400+ hp bus could take out a line of traffic if it decided it wasnt going to stop.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Theres a thin line between defensive riding and offensive riding. Although things like riding the sidewalk and running lights can get you in trouble, following the traffic laws can too. Cagers complain about cyclist daredevils on the streets when they are one factor for such riding style. They dont want to share the streets with us, yet demand we follow traffic laws accordingly. Doesnt make sense to me. Treat a bicycle as you would a motorcycle. Youd be surprised to find hitting a bike could do almost as much damage to your car as hitting any type of motorbike. It also has more chances of going under your car and taking out parts of your undercarrige such as radiators or brakr lines. If it doesnt, it could take out your windshield and its illegal to drive without on or a severly impacted one.

A buddy of mine was ran in to a parked car by a Ram and the guy stopped and laughed at him, he tossed his heavy 90s huffy through the windshield and rode off. I think people like that nees to be court ordered to ride a bike for a year if convicted. First the cops would have to give a damn, though. Most dont care what happens to cyclist or what they do unless one is killed- they will probably blame the cyclist and not the cager playinb angry bird on his way to get a mcrib while suppliez last.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 AM

316 posts, read 660,702 times
Stick with mountain bikes and dirt bike trails where there are no cars, and should not have any problems with other drivers...

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by video646 View Post
This is why I would always use the sidewalks, even if it's technically against the law.
The problem with that is it's at least as dangerous.

As a kid here in Phoenix I used to ride on the shoulders of main streets. There was a shoulder back then. In the 70s the city widened the streets. When they were done there were more car lanes but they were too narrow to share. But there were sidewalks along the whole route.

Some of the police at the time encouraged us to ride on the sidewalks. So I did. It became apparent that people in cars can't see you as well on the sidewalk. When they look at a sidewalk before pulling out they are looking for foot traffic. On the bike you appear to come out of nowhere because of your speed. What I learned was to seek alternate routes. I still mix some sidewalk riding with streets but in my opinion sidewalks aren't any safer, usually.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
In the suburb I live in certain sidewalks along busy streets are designated as bike paths....you are encouraged to use these in lieu of the street.

...however

Quote:
When they look at a sidewalk before pulling out they are looking for foot traffic. On the bike you appear to come out of nowhere because of your speed.
Yeah, Ive noticed this too. Big issue at curb cuts/driveways into businesses.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

Yeah, Ive noticed this too. Big issue at curb cuts/driveways into businesses.
Especially if you are on the sidewalk going in the direction against traffic. People pulling out into traffic aren't even looking in that direction for oncoming traffic.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knurly View Post
If you think riding a bike with cars is bad, you should try walking! Don't push any buttons, they're only there at crosswalks to sucker you in for the punch.
Far worse are "cyclists" who think anyone using a sidewalk is simply in the way.

More "cyclists" run red lights in one minute than car drivers do in an entire day.

"Cyclists", the scourge of pedestrians the world over.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Far worse are "cyclists" who think anyone using a sidewalk is simply in the way.

More "cyclists" run red lights in one minute than car drivers do in an entire day.

"Cyclists", the scourge of pedestrians the world over.
Pull them over and give them a ticket.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM

295 posts, read 337,964 times
In my experience it's better to drop the road bike and get on a mountain bike. You get to enjoy the trails and the only thing you have to watch out for is the hikers and the horses. It's an interesting change because you go from being a road cyclist demanding your rights to the road etc. to being a mountain biker where basically you have no right of way on any trail. So I recommend it highly and Santa Rosa has some of the best trails in the state. Check out Annadel you will love it. In fact you don't even need to go the full on mountain bike route you could just get a cyclocross bike and you might be a little more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling