Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,536,196 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring the end this year and moving to southern Delaware - where it is nice and flat. Southern DE has a lot of bike trails. I will be in the market to buy a bike and I appreciate any information on what I should be looking for when I walk into a bike shop to find the right bike for me.

I think I am looking for what they call a comfort bike. I have not owned or ridden a bike for many years - just a rental bike recently when visiting the DE beaches. I love to walk -five miles is an easy walk because the area is so flat. For longer distances I think a bike would be my choice of transportation. I may need a bike rack for my car to be able to avoid busy highways and get to bike trails where it would be safer to ride. I also know that the buses have bike racks on them if I want to take my bike on the bus to areas where it would be safe for me to ride.

A little about me - I am now officially a senior citizen. I am female, 5'6" and only 115 lbs. Not a lot of upper body strength - so ease of getting a bike on and off a bike rack is important. Comfort when out and about biking for several hours is important. Also if I want to bike down to the local grocery store to pick up a few things - some sort of basket to carry stuff is important. I want to also be sure I get a bike that "fits" me - only 5'6" but I have long legs. Some sort of bike lock is important because I am likely to bike down to the ocean and leave the bike locked to something while I go walking on the beach. (Really looking forward to retirement!)

I plan to buy a bike at a bike shop so I buy something that "fits" me - instead of purchasing from a big box store. But, I am not interested in buying something pricey that I don't really need. So, a realistic idea of what a bike meeting my needs should cost ( a general price range) is appreaicated.

Can you give me some suggestions with regard to brands/models that I might look at on line - before I set foot in a bike shop to actually figure out what "fits" me. Can I expect a bike shop to actually let me try out a bike before I buy it? The area where I will be retiring is near a beach town - so there is a big rental market for bikes during beach season. I was thinking a good idea might be to rent a similar bike and try it for a week before I buy a new bike.

Suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM

100 posts, read 269,202 times
Not a lot of upper body strength - so ease of getting a bike on and off a bike rack is important.
- Most comfort bikes are usually beach cruiser type bikes which are very heavy and I would not recommend anyone with limited upper body strength try and lift onto a top of car bicycle rack, there are also portable rear mount bike racks but those still require some lifting so this might rule out the more traditional cruiser type comfort bikes. Perhaps look into the folding bikes that can easily be broken down (folded) and placed into small spaces, including the back seat of a car.

Comfort when out and about biking for several hours is important.
- Not sure how comfortable the folding bikes are in long distance rides but I am assuming that you are not talking about 50 mile or century rides on your "to be" bicycle so the folding bike once again might be an option

Also if I want to bike down to the local grocery store to pick up a few things - some sort of basket to carry stuff is important.
- The old cruiser style comfort bikes are great for these type of baskets but you can get portable ones that slip on and off the bike frame, assuming you got a lighter and smaller bicycle than the cruiser type

I want to also be sure I get a bike that "fits" me - only 5'6" but I have long legs.
- This is something that you must get assistance from at the bicycle shop as they will have you get onto bikes and stand straddled while they determine the appropriate height of the frame

Some sort of bike lock is important because I am likely to bike down to the ocean and leave the bike locked to something while I go walking on the beach
- Depending on where you live and the incident rate of bike theft may be a determining factor in how much money you put into this bike. Many other people are going to chime in here but I would recommend staying away from the cable type locks or any that use number combinations. U locks are probably the best ones to go with but once again, check with the local bicycle shop experts as they will be very helpful in pointing you in the right direction and may also have some accurate information on bike theft in the area.

Congratulations on retirement and enjoy all the relaxing time waiting for you

Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,722,419 times
Two things;

A U-lock is good. I hope it is not the case where you are but where we are, bike theft is rampant. We keep the bikes inside when at all possible (we live in an apartment so no garage) and use the U-Locks when not possible.

Bike shops: if you don't get the kind of service you like, go elsewhere or demand a manager. I don't know what it is about bike shops but we have really been shocked at the aloof "too cool to help you" attitude of some local bike shop clerks. It's weird. Maybe look online first for recommendations and reviews.

I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the other parts of your post but maybe a cruiser or a beach cruiser if you have intentions of riding on the beach as well... ?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,976,390 times
A Brooklyn Cruiser?

City Bikes by Brooklyn Cruiser

A Linus Bike?

Linus Bikes | Models

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM

100 posts, read 269,202 times
Thanks for sharing those links LiveUrban, those are some cool bikes.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8o8state View Post
Thanks for sharing those links LiveUrban, those are some cool bikes.
You're very welcome

To Mary2014 - You might want to ask for a hybrid bike or an urban commuter bike. These bikes are upright so you aren't hunched over like with road bikes. In addition, they often come with baskets or a place to carry items on.

For example something like this:

Google Image Result for http://www.futuregringo.com/munich/bikes3.JPG

Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,536,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
You're very welcome

To Mary2014 - You might want to ask for a hybrid bike or an urban commuter bike. These bikes are upright so you aren't hunched over like with road bikes. In addition, they often come with baskets or a place to carry items on.

For example something like this:

Google Image Result for http://www.futuregringo.com/munich/bikes3.JPG
LiveUrban,

I will keep a look out for a hybird or urban commuter bike. I also like 8o8state's suggestion about a folding bike.

As Sally_Sparrow suggested regarding bike shops - I need to find someplace that can be helpful and not one that is only interested in working with professional racers who want to spend $2 - $3K on a bike.

I still have no idea the price range to expect and I am a little overwhelmed at some of the prices I see for bikes.

I do appreciate the recomendation by several people about the U lock for bikes.

I will be visiting southern DE for a week in May to do some house hunting - so I will see if I can check out some local bike shops during the same trip. If anyone can recommend a bike shop in the Lewes- Rehoboth, Delaware area please let me know.

Thanks,

Mary2014

Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM

If you are looking to lower your price range, Craigslist is a good place to find used bikes. Or you can check and see if their are bike shops that sell used bikes in your area.

It's often hit and miss though and it's hard to tell if you're getting a good deal. I bought a bike used off Craigslist once and the bike started malfunctioning soon thereafter.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,906,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I will be retiring the end this year and moving to southern Delaware - where it is nice and flat. Southern DE has a lot of bike trails. I will be in the market to buy a bike and I appreciate any information on what I should be looking for when I walk into a bike shop to find the right bike for me.

I think I am looking for what they call a comfort bike. I have not owned or ridden a bike for many years - just a rental bike recently when visiting the DE beaches. I love to walk -five miles is an easy walk because the area is so flat. For longer distances I think a bike would be my choice of transportation. I may need a bike rack for my car to be able to avoid busy highways and get to bike trails where it would be safer to ride. I also know that the buses have bike racks on them if I want to take my bike on the bus to areas where it would be safe for me to ride.

A little about me - I am now officially a senior citizen. I am female, 5'6" and only 115 lbs. Not a lot of upper body strength - so ease of getting a bike on and off a bike rack is important. Comfort when out and about biking for several hours is important. Also if I want to bike down to the local grocery store to pick up a few things - some sort of basket to carry stuff is important. I want to also be sure I get a bike that "fits" me - only 5'6" but I have long legs. Some sort of bike lock is important because I am likely to bike down to the ocean and leave the bike locked to something while I go walking on the beach. (Really looking forward to retirement!)

I plan to buy a bike at a bike shop so I buy something that "fits" me - instead of purchasing from a big box store. But, I am not interested in buying something pricey that I don't really need. So, a realistic idea of what a bike meeting my needs should cost ( a general price range) is appreaicated.

Can you give me some suggestions with regard to brands/models that I might look at on line - before I set foot in a bike shop to actually figure out what "fits" me. Can I expect a bike shop to actually let me try out a bike before I buy it? The area where I will be retiring is near a beach town - so there is a big rental market for bikes during beach season. I was thinking a good idea might be to rent a similar bike and try it for a week before I buy a new bike.

Suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Mary2014
Any decent bike shop will let you test ride the model of bike you want to try out. If they don't, walk away.

Go into the shop and just walk around. Just tell them you are looking, nothing is particular, just looking. Watch how customers are treated and the type of clientele. If most of the people in there act like they have a fish hook caught in their nose with the line pulling their noses up and back, go elsewhere. Go to the service department and ask them what the waiting time is for a tune-up. You'd be surprised that sometimes the wait can be weeks, tough if your bike needs an adjustment and they are always backed up.

Ask about a return policy. We bought a bike and that day realized it just wasn't going to work out. Forgot to check and upon going back to the store, no returns or exchanges even with a restocking fee. This was from a super popular bike store. Lesson learned.

Then when you pick a shop, explain just as you did here as to what your needs are. If the salesperson shows you a bike that doesn't match your needs that means they weren't listening or are trying to sell you something you don't want. Warning sign.

Here is one important thing: don't get a heavy bike. Believe me, the lighter the better but also generally the more expensive. It takes a lot more effort to pedal a bike that weighs 40 pounds than one that weighs 30 or less. Don't pay too much attention to the tech talk about what the bike is made from and all that. You could care less. More important is the warranty, does the shop handle warranty issues directly, will they insure your bike is adjusted to you and then re-adjust it after a week or so of riding without making you wait in line for service? The bike fitting part will just involve taking some time to compare and test ride models.

It will take a while for your rear end to become accustomed to a bike seat so expect some soreness at the beginning. Seats are interchangeable but get a good one from the start. Do not listen to the sales people that tell you the thinly covered leather seats will break in and become comfortable. They will but long after you've given up riding that bike.

Do get a helmet. Only the brainless and those wishing to be ride without a helmet. Some gloves too. You don't need spandex riding pants, tight shirts and things like that. We're riding bikes here not trying out for bozo the clown auditions.

Also get one spare inner tube and a tire pump. Forget patching it, it is just as easy to replace the tube. Get a lock for it. You don't need a $500 lock for a bike. What works really well is one of those thin cable locks for laptop computers made by Targus. About $40 but has a nifty alarm you can activate if someone moves the bike. Thing is very loud, you don't have to use the alarm part. The cable is long enough to link through the wheels and frame.

When you get the seat as you like it, dump the quick release adjustment and us a bolt/nut combo. The store can do it when you return for the initial re-adjustment. That prevents casual theft of the seat, something kids do these days just for laughs.

Get a bell. Shouting at people to tell them you are passing is nonsense. A nice single "ding" bell works like a charm. People can hear it from a long ways behind them and almost all know what it means.

Take your time choosing and try out more than one store. Even if you do it all on the same day you can hit 2-3 stores and go back the same or next day to buy.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM

17,486 posts, read 38,951,108 times
I would also recommend a 3-speed "city bike" style like the link posted above. There are many brands out there in this price range if your local shop doesn't carry those. These are usually light enough and versatile enough to suit your needs.

Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling