Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRoadBoys View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find city cycling more interesting than riding on endless trails through trees and more...trees and more...trees. Or worse, a loooong road with a range of mountains 60 miles ahead of you that seems to look no closer for hours. Whether I'm riding in NYC or in my home town of Cleveland, OH, there's something new around every turn.
Can I love both?

I love city riding, and it can be just as enjoyable as MTB to be sure. Some friends and I have an open-invite Sunday night leisure ride that we do throughout central Austin that has led to discovery of things you'd never notice in a car. For me though, city riding is about utility and lots of the enjoyment of it is gleaned from knowing that I'm avoiding traffic, burning calories, and saving money.

However, I wouldn't trade my MTB rides for anything. I see nothing uninteresting about trees, mountains, lakes, clean air, and the variety of terrain that you don't get in city riding. Solitude and quiet- I need it for my sanity! I also love sense of accomplishment that comes with tackling a gnarly climb or technical descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRoadBoys View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find city cycling more interesting than riding on endless trails . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
. . .

My favorite ride used to be the short one from my house down to a nearby beach. It started out on empty streets in a light industrial/warehouse area, climbed a pedestrian bridge over the freeway, then descended to a beachfront boardwalk/bikeway. The next 2 miles were along the ocean, interrupted only by surfers crossing from the parking lots. Then there was a brief section of road/bike lane riding under two freeway overpasses in a low-income/mobile home type housing area. Then, it turned into a park and switched back to an oceanfront bikeway for 2-3 miles along an uninhabited hillside. There might be one or two pedestrians on the first mile and then nobody at all after that. At the end, it climbed to a dirt overlook of the surf spot, with a gravel path down across a railroad track, to the beach.

I loved pumping along that empty hillside, panting in the early-morning sea air (which stinks, by the way), and watching the waves peel off at all the no-name breaks between my place and this beach. Then talking BS with the guys pulling up in their trucks at the dirt overlook, then paddling out or heading home depending on how it looked and how much time I had.
@sponger - sounds like SoCal. I can relate.

Actually, I'm posting to say I can relate to the OP. Endless trails, miles from nowhere, starting from no place, ending in someplace that is still nowhere. Boring. Or better said: boooooooorrrrrrriiiiiing. Well, it doesn't have to be, but sometimes it is. Cities can be a lot hairier/scarier, but accidents and not-so accidents can happen everywhere.

Yeah, I've cycled in cities, and can find some neat routes and fun things to discover and see. Some cities and places are better for this than others. I've cycled through clean air and corn fields, and been bored to tears, so tired of riding I could have spit and would have quit if I'd had any way to do that. I've also cycled through and on beautiful country roads and trails, and found lots to see and do.

The fun-killer in all these is boredom, discounting the inevitable references to accidental death that will occur due to my choice of words, but yeah, boredom is the baddy. Sometimes I get less bored by being a commuter, and knowing I am going from point A to my Destination, point B. Sometimes I am less bored by competing with other riders, even informally.

But, anyway, yeah, cities can be fun, too.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:43 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I guess you can categorize me as one of those people who enjoy commuting in a big city...and yes it can be dangerous. For pure enjoyment, I much prefer blasting on a road bike away from heavily trafficked areas, especially on smooth pavement!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Never riden in a major city, but Lawrence, ks is a lot of fun. For me its the perfect size, dense albeit small downtown area, but lots of bike trails and bike lanes all over town. Clinton lake is 5 miles from my house that is fairly beautiful with lots of mtb trails and tons of good paved roads with no cars in the country. Besides the cold winters Lawrence is a cyclist oasis.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM

35 posts, read 36,851 times
City riding is my thing. In my life, a bicycle is fun and certainly a valid means of recreation, but it's prime purpose is as a mode of transportation, given that I don't drive at all. I have the good fortune to live in a region where the lack of a car is not too much of a disadvantage.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I commute in the city. I prefer trails for working out, but city cycling has increased my leg strength and road speed. I can hold 20-21 mph on the street when commuting (7 miles each way). I get stopped at the darn traffic lights.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I commute in the city. I prefer trails for working out, but city cycling has increased my leg strength and road speed. I can hold 20-21 mph on the street when commuting (7 miles each way). I get stopped at the darn traffic lights.
LOL. Yeah, my 5 mi commute is actually 7-10 1/2mi to 1 mi rides.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
LOL. Yeah, my 5 mi commute is actually 7-10 1/2mi to 1 mi rides.
Helps with sprinting though!!! (builds the legs)

Steady state is good.. so I have to get out one day per weekend and ride 20 miles or so steady-state

Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Well considering I live in Manhattan, I only do city riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

The Hudson River Greenway which runs along the length of Manhattan on the West side is really great during the week, but on the weekends it can get very crowded. And you're having to share it with joggers and everyone else. Joggers are usually easy enough to pass, but then you get the groups of kids on rollerblades or skateboards that take up almost the whole width of the path.

I haven't gone riding through Central Park yet, but I imagine it would be a better ride since the path isn't so narrow.

I don't mind riding in the city, but I would love a change of pace. Maybe if I get a bike rack for my car I'll head up into Westchester sometime to see some actual trees!

Central and Prospect Park have crits in the early morning hrs during the season – they’re both fun races to do. And fun to watch if you aren’t a racer (which I assume you are not).

Recreationally, Central Park is OK but in the end, it’s still a MUP and all the standard MUP issues apply.

Many cyclists cross the GW to ride some real roads.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

Central and Prospect Park have crits in the early morning hrs during the season – they’re both fun races to do. And fun to watch if you aren’t a racer (which I assume you are not).

Recreationally, Central Park is OK but in the end, it’s still a MUP and all the standard MUP issues apply.

Many cyclists cross the GW to ride some real roads.
I'm in Brooklyn now to drive my brothers uhaul back, didn't get to bring my bike for riding, maybe next time. we leave this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling