Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times

Advertisements

Fascinating video of what a Dutch guy thinks about bicycling in the US. Gives some great advice on how to make it more inviting for all types of people.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Interesting perspective. I agree with some of his opinions. I disagree with his comment on helmets. IMO everyone should wear one. In his country, in many cases, cycling infrastructure was planned together with the planning of new streets and they have the luxury of having much fewer cars than we do so they have more room for cyclists. The US has a thriving car culture. In major US cities cycling infrastructure is being squeezed into busy streets that have already been built a long time ago with no thought of cycling lanes. I'm sure cyclists from other countries that ride in the cycling lanes in the cities featured in the above video are probably scared to death of the magnitude of cars, trucks, buses and noise all around them as they ride. As more people cycle in the largest US cities and elsewhere for that matter drivers of cars/trucks will get used to more cyclists and vice versa and everyone will start getting along in a controlled chaos. Cycling infrastructure here in the US is improving but it will never reach the level of some European cities and towns until people start leaving their cars at home so much so that car lanes will be taking away and converted to cycling lanes and I doubt this will happen in my lifetime.

-Cheers!
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling