Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM

175 posts, read 592,862 times

Advertisements

If it were me, I'd get the Specialized. Sounds like the fit and feel were a good match and it's a solid bike/company. Since you don't like white, you'll have to decide if a better color is worth the extra $50. If I'm going to spend $700 on a bike, I'm getting a color I can live with - that's just me. I think the Black/Gloss Black/Red one looks cool. It's offered as a color for the 2014 early launch, so they should be able to get it for you if it's not in stock. Might take a few weeks. Tought time right now since many manufactures are in the process of releasing the 2014 models (kind of in the between stage where 2013 stock is limited and 2014 stock is not full out - but sometimes you can find a deal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,764,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Ok, I finally saw the diamondback overdrive today. Looked nice but did not have the lockout feature on the forks. Was around $550 for a 2013 bike. I did drive a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29 and a Giant talon as well. The Specialized had hydraulic brakes and at $699. Could get the outgoing model in "white" for $649, but didn't like the color pattern. The Giant had fancier components, but I liked the feel of the Specialized. The Giant had trouble going through gears and they tried to adjust, but still wasn't right.

Looks like the short list is

Cannondale trail 5
Specialized hardrock sport disc
Trek Marlin

All are 29ers. Any final thoughts before I maker the plunge?
Hydraulic disc brakes are a pain, and most importantly- for what you want to do, you do not need them. Same with the 80mm vs. 100mm travel- your fork will be on light duty on fire roads so you will never notice the difference. I think you will like the lockout feature.

Get the cheapest one, or the one that has the aesthetics you like most. At this price point and for your riding type, the difference between the three performance-wise is negligible.

And 29er is the only way to go

Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM

607 posts, read 2,359,420 times
Update, I finally bought a bike today. It is the specialized rock hopper. Decided to upgrade from the hardrock sport disc and am looking forward to getting on with riding. Just liked the feel, the components are not top of the line, but neither am I!. Hopefully this will be a fun and sound bike for years to come and I won't have to worry about bikes for a while. Thanks for all the posts.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,772,024 times
Quote:
Update, I finally bought a bike today. It is the specialized rock hopper. Decided to upgrade from the hardrock sport disc and am looking forward to getting on with riding. Just liked the feel, the components are not top of the line, but neither am I!. Hopefully this will be a fun and sound bike for years to come and I won't have to worry about bikes for a while. Thanks for all the posts.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM

It's a winner, congrats! You ended up breaking the bank, been there, done that! So easy to do when you start riding different models. Did you get red or black?

While it may be a little more bike than you initially set out to buy for just riding on city trails and dirt roads, I have a strong feeling it won't be long before your new bike veers off on some sweet singletrack. And, the upgraded model will more than handle almost anything you can throw at it. You should be good to go for years to come! Enjoy your new ride.

BTW, I've had hydraulic brakes for 10 years witn no issues. Just had to replace the pads and straighten the rotors (with a small, clean cresent wrench) every now and then. I also clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag, which helps keep mine quiet (some brands squeal). One thing to know is that they have a break in period. Just Google - Spin Doctor Disc Brakes - Most recommend going on a short ride on pavement and applying the brakes firmly (but not coming to a stop) about 20 times. This roughs up the pads and embeds material into the rotors for maximum performance. I also avoid storing my bike upside down (e.g. from the roof of your garage) as I've heard some systems are prone to air bubbles working their way up the line. Follow these suggestions and you should be good to go.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 AM

607 posts, read 2,359,420 times
Went with the matte black....looks pretty neat. Is there really something to hanging the bikes upside down while storing it (hydraulic brakes)?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Matte black is a nice choice. BTW, you can Google "hanging a bike with hydraulic brakes" and you'll get a lot of articles and forum discussions on the topic. Some brake systems are more inclined than others to have air in them. I have heard that some people put rubber bands on the brake levers to keep the system closed and then hang them upside down. IMO, best option is to store upright. If you don't like that, try hanging your bike upside down. When you take it down, if the brakes feel mushy or depress to the bar, you can pump them a bunch of times to get the air bubbles back to the levers (like on old cars). Then, try the rubber band trick. It's not all systems, so you may be in luck!

Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,268,082 times
don't buy anything (MTB) without disc brakes.....made that mistake......

Last edited by BucFan; 07-22-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-02-2017, 05:11 AM

5,731 posts, read 17,549,417 times
Quote:
Update, I finally bought a bike today. It is the specialized rock hopper. Decided to upgrade from the hardrock sport disc.
Funny. I read your first few posts and said to myself "He doesn't need a mountain bike, and certainly not a full-suspension with hydraulic brakes".

My suggestion was going to be a base model Specialized Rockhopper with only a front suspension. You can get these used on CraigsList for a few hundred dollars.

If you were riding on single-track trails through the woods, and the terrain was rocky/rooty and sometimes wet/muddy, then I would suggest full-suspension with hydraulic brakes. Otherwise go the cheaper route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling