Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

I get annoyed when I see anyone run stop signs. Just reeks of selfishness and entitlement.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's safe to assume if another motorist blew thru a stop sign you would not get your knickers in such a twist.
You assume too much, I'd be even more pissed at a motorist.

Sorry to not help you build an ad hominem argument.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that a person should report things like seeing another person being robbed etc, but I doubt society much appreciates someone going around nit-picking every petty such thing along these lines & someone poking their nose in their business. That's like those who drive slow in the fast lane on the freeway to block speeders because they think it's their business to police the speeders. You incur a lot of wrath doing that sort of thing, some may even resort to a "snitches get stitches" response, and frankly I think people who butt in pretty much asked for it.

So if you want to make yourself busy calling the local police over every bicyclist you see rolling 5 mph through a stop sign, go ahead and be pathetic all you want. It doesn't make it right and it's most definitely being a busy-body where I come from.
Wonderful imagination you have, being annoyed and concerned at law breaking turns a man into an obsessed snitch.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 01-03-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I get annoyed when I see anyone run stop signs. Just reeks of selfishness and entitlement.
Well I get annoyed when on certain roads they have stop signs seemingly every 2 inches when they clearly don't NEED that freaking many, & when policemen hand out tickets for "failure to stop" when a person didn't blow through it at 15-20 mph without looking, they slowed down plenty to like 5 mph and no one was coming anyway. To me that's nit-picky legalism.

I am a human being, not a slave to laws--the laws were created for humans, humans weren't created for the laws. Respect me as a person with a brain, or I'm not going to respect the laws--as a motorist or as a cyclist. I'm not that gullible, and hurray for others who do likewise, motorist or cyclist. Get some laws that make some sense, like the Idaho law allowing cyclists to yield vs stop at stop signs, & maybe you won't have this problem.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,412 times
Another whiney troll post? Just wondering......

Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If they're incapable of doing so without plouging into another vehicle or person, yes.
Just how ridiculous is your defense going to get?

Now you are saying that any activity that could potentially distract a bicyclist, driver, motorcyclist etc. that cannot be 100% guaranteed to happen should preclude them from it's operation and if violated is just clear negligence.

Oh well, it seems that passion has overloaded reason in this thread. I was rather surprised to find my rather balanced post the target but likely by that point in the thread the troll anti-bike posts had already blown your gasket.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If they're incapable of doing so without plouging into another vehicle or person, yes.
Of course. We have people ride with us that are not as experienced and comfortable in their bike handling skills, taking a swig from their water bottle while pedaling or even rolling who just wait to stop at a stop sign or light. Most simply resort to riding with camelbaks so it's not really an issue, and they end up drinking more and stay hydrated.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
My area has a for me unexpected amount of street riders (100F+ and they are out in full force). My parents were competition cyclists. I respect them and share the road with them. Can't figure out how to ride a bike myself:>)

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
san diego where i live has 5th hightest pedestrial deaths of nation.
if you bike or skate on the street or are careless crossing the street at the mall (grossmont mall is highest death rate in county for pedestrians) you could get killed.
the punishment for running over people is pretty light, oh well call allstate.
most of us here could commute just fine car free but if you do they will kill you.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well "the rules of the road" are, to me, subject to interpretation, and that goes whether I'm in a car or a bicycle etc. Frankly they insult my intelligence half the time, especially the way they're interpreted.
And people wonder why auto insurance rates are so high...

Quote:
The best---or worst--is when they give you a "failure to stop at a stop sign" ticket (in a car) when there was no one around for eons, on a deserted road in the middle of the sticks, and even then you did slow down to like 5-8 mph. Frankly, it doesn't really matter that you didn't COMPLETELY STOP, what matters is that you didn't blow through the thing and run into someone or barely miss them. Most of all, you showed "due care" of the very type that the stop sign is seeking.
No, son. That would be a YIELD sign, not a STOP sign. Although it really doesn't surprise me that you don't know the difference between the two.

Quote:
Basically, traffic laws should be about the SPIRIT of what's sought, not the LETTER, but they're not enforced that way, and people disrespect them as a result.
Actually, traffic laws are pretty much enforced the way they are written. If you follow them, you avoid nastiness such as speeding tickets, accidents, citations and criminal charges. If you disrespect them, you end up spending some time in the courtroom and/or jail.

Traffic rules are designed around the concept of Right-of-Way so our roads don't resemble something you'd find in Tehran or Calcutta.

Quote:
But you have such nonsense as that, and speed limits that are beyond ridiculous, to the point that if you go the speed limit you practically get ran over. (Again I'm still speaking of cars.) This occurs NOT because people are such jerks who don't care about anyone but themselves, but because they have the sense to realize the speed limits are stupid. I'm not talking about the CONCEPT of a speed limit, but rather the specific number which they decide upon. No wonder on job applications when they ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime they also say "except for minor traffic violations," because the assumption is made that pretty much everyone breaks the rules anyway.
So you think everyone has reactions quick enough to maneuver an automobile safely around a city while flying along at 140 MPH?

Quote:
As it is, as a cyclist I run the stop sign only if no one's coming, I make sure to look first, and then if no one's coming, I go right ahead.
I smell a Darwin Award in the making!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling