Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should they be banned
yes 5 15.15%
no 26 78.79%
These people should jailed for every accident they cause 0 0%
Russel Wilson for President 2016 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually a police officer can tell a bicyclist what to do in the form of a ticket. I remember people getting ticketed for breaking the law on a bike many times in Portland.
Except when certain members of your town council are holier then thou cyclists and have put though a town ordinance allowing it.

Like I said its legal where I live except on a few very busy sidewalks where even the most hard core bicyclists will admit its extraordinarily dangerous. For the rest of the place its legal. To be fair though I have not tried to do much about it so I should take some blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The front brake on a bike is useless because it doesn't stop the momentum of the bike
Do you have some purpose for putting obviously false statements like this in your posts?

Quote:
If I am going fast on my bike I would never grab the front brake alone unless I wanted to smack my head on the pavement.
Sounds like you need to learn how to ride a bike. And/or adjust your front brake. Got the correct shoes on it?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
San Fran? not to worry Obamacare has you covered and if you get injured, no problem, and when you are healed you can get a different job.

Like learning how to take off but not land...hmmm
I do not care for Obamacare, as well. However, unlike yourself, I do not have a one tract mind.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I have a cruiser bike with no brakes. You simply reverse pedal to stop. Are these bikes capable of that? I ain't no bike expert.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have a cruiser bike with no brakes. You simply reverse pedal to stop.
That's called a coaster brake. And it's as effective a brake as a rear caliper-type brake, such as the one the bike in the video had.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Do you have some purpose for putting obviously false statements like this in your posts?

Sounds like you need to learn how to ride a bike. And/or adjust your front brake. Got the correct shoes on it?
You just need to stop posting on this thread. You haven't even the slightest clue as to how these bikes work, which is nuts because there is literally nothing to them. you honestly don't understand how a fixed gear bike in motion would have more difficulty stopping???????

Is this real life?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
go take one for a spin.
In order to stop a fixed gear bike on a dime you have to lock up a front brake because of the momentum of the fixed gear. Doing this will launch you over the handlebars. They don't stop like a free wheel, which is why these bikes are constantly blowing through intersections.
You can apply both front and back brakes, but you're best off taking your feet off the paddles, or start applying backward pressure. I simply do not see the point in riding a bike like this.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"typo"? No, wrong word
and it is still happening!
that's OK, I'm sure this one will be deleted, too.
I don't know how Finn's p[ost survived, being as it refers to a deleted post!
Your post has not been deleted.

Sober up!

PS There is no "[" in word "post".

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Except when certain members of your town council are holier then thou cyclists and have put though a town ordinance allowing it.

Like I said its legal where I live except on a few very busy sidewalks where even the most hard core bicyclists will admit its extraordinarily dangerous. For the rest of the place its legal. To be fair though I have not tried to do much about it so I should take some blame.
I actually have no idea where you live so I cannot speak specifically where you are. Maybe there are certain members of your town council that are holier than thou cyclists that have put forth ordinances that have allowed bicycling on the sidewalk.

All I can do is state that I am against people biking on the sidewalk, but understand a bicycle infrastructure needs to be in place to make it easier to not need to bike on the sidewalk.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

That wasn't a false statement, that was my opinion. I am well educated on how to ride my bike. I understand every inch of my bike seeing that I built it and personally selected every part that went into it.

And I still would never just grab my front brake without grabbing my back brake as well and would rather use my back brake over my front brake because I value my safety when biking.

Quote:
When you're stopping - in a car, on a bicycle or on foot - your weight shifts to the front. You see this happen every day. When you're running and stop suddenly, you have to put a foot out in front of yourself to keep from toppling forward. In the same way, when you stop a car, it "nosedives" as more weight goes to the front wheels.

When stopping your bike, the weight also goes to the front wheel. Try a little experiment: Walk along next to your bike. Squeeze the front brake lever. The bike will stop quickly, but the rear wheel will rise off the ground.

Also try squeezing the rear brake lever. Braking will be weak, and the rear tire will skid.
The same things happen when you're riding. If you rely too heavily on the rear brake, the rear wheel will skid and wear out the rear tire quickly. On the other hand, you can go right over the handlebars if you use the front brake too hard.

How, then, do you get a powerful stop without risk? There's a trick to learn. Use the rear wheel as a signal to tell you how hard to apply the front brake. You become an antilock braking system for your bicycle.
Bicycling Street Smarts, Chapter 6: Using your Brakes
This is common knowledge when biking because it applies the laws of physics. You grab that front brake too hard when biking, like stopping quickly in an emergency, your face will say "hi" to the pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling