Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,200,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Of course she should be singled out. She was the one breaking the law or violating the regs. That is the problem these days, people do things like that and then it's woe is me, don't pick on me.

Walk the bike through the crosswalk, no grief. Ride across, grief. Simple.
OR slow down, check for pedestrians and roll on green. Much simpler.
I don't claim to be a legal beagle by any means, but I don't hurt anyone either or get tickets.
I do what works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,769,640 times
I see a big problem right away, and it is in the design. They have incorporated a crosswalk into the bike trail right at an intersection.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I see a big problem right away, and it is in the design. They have incorporated a crosswalk into the bike trail right at an intersection.
Yep,they've done that here too which is why a little compassion is needed for bikers and pedestrians alike.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:18 AM

211 posts, read 339,114 times
To the people saying that she should have been walking her bike across:

http://goo.gl/maps/RQg7L
http://goo.gl/maps/KhbbU

The crossing is very clearly an integrated part of the the bike trail, and there are signs up that say motorists should yield to pedestrians and cyclists when turning. From the article:

"He said a witness had told him that she was not in the crosswalk when she was hit."

"She had taken a bike safety class with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA). She took a picture after the crash, before the ambulance arrived, of her bike lying in the crosswalk."

These two quotes from the article highlight that the issue wasn't that she was on her bike in the crosswalk - that is ok in this scenario - but that the traffic law she was supposedly not obeying was staying in that crosswalk. I agree with the posters who are critical of this traffic design, but I also understand that everybody has their hand out for money and it might be too much to ask for an elevated or underground crossing. This part from the article, however, highlights a huge problem for cyclists:

"...a man in a black SUV stopped to reprimand her, she said, telling her that bikes should be on the sidewalk..."

People in cars road rage against people on bicycles and they don't know the laws the govern bicycle riding. They don't know that bikes are often times allowed to lane share and that they it is illegal for bikes to be on the sidewalk. But unfortunately, people in cars often try to bully those on bikes because they wrongly assume the cyclist is in the wrong.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:51 PM

Very true, and I have to admit I love it when a motorist gets out of his vehicle to give me hell, UNTIL I get off my bike and face them.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Very true, and I have to admit I love it when a motorist gets out of his vehicle to give me hell, UNTIL I get off my bike and face them.
Yep and Im also tall for a woman Im 5'10 and 138 lbs and have muscular arms and legs and this man be rated me just last week because I stopped my bike and took a pic of his plate and his car . He started screaming at me telling me what a b#tch I was and I should look where the f#ck I was riding . Yep nice language huh ? until he saw me get off my bike . He was maybe 5'3 and 180 lbs of squatty body . LOL I just looked at him and laughed and kept on riding ...

Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep and Im also tall for a woman Im 5'10 and 138 lbs and have muscular arms and legs and this man be rated me just last week because I stopped my bike and took a pic of his plate and his car . He started screaming at me telling me what a b#tch I was and I should look where the f#ck I was riding . Yep nice language huh ? until he saw me get off my bike . He was maybe 5'3 and 180 lbs of squatty body . LOL I just looked at him and laughed and kept on riding ...
Quite the sight I'm sure!
Don't know why he would have been pissed tho, his tags and car were in public view right? Perfectly legal to snap a pic.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,769,640 times
Quote:
You had me at 5'10."

Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Quite the sight I'm sure!
Don't know why he would have been pissed tho, his tags and car were in public view right? Perfectly legal to snap a pic.
yes they were but the point I was making was that I was riding across a driveway to a dentist office and apparently I blocked his turning in and he flipped me off and then he started ...so I got a pic in case I had any more trouble .such as him calling the police and having them harass me and yes they do hassle some of the bike riders around where I live .

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
yes they were but the point I was making was that I was riding across a driveway to a dentist office and apparently I blocked his turning in and he flipped me off and then he started ...so I got a pic in case I had any more trouble .such as him calling the police and having them harass me and yes they do hassle some of the bike riders around where I live .
Sorry you have to contend with that.
In my city, the mayor is trying to make the town more "bike friendly" by installing bike route signs along our trails and upside down U's downtown for us to lock up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling