Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:31 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It must be an idiot thing.
local idiot thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 01:10 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
I'm not; I'm a bike rider. "Cyclist" is a highly offensive racial epithet in some circles. Calling a rider a "cyclist" in certain areas of the US is liable to earn the speaker a fist to the nose (or worse). I've seen/had it happen...

Well, that's sufficiently confusing. No wonder most mountain bike handlers I know use Imperial measurements.
It's really not, a 26" wheel is 559millimeters, a 700c is 622millimeters- those are ISO sizes, modern tires uave both measurements on them, along with the width. Decent to know, so you don't do like I did last month, and buy the wrong size 24" yire fo my girlfriends bike, wondering why it was bigger than the rim.

Just focus on the new standard sizes, so if you go buy tires for your bike, you don'y end up with a 26 3/8 repopped old schwinn tire, that is much bigger than new everyday 26" tires.

I could see how being called a cyclist might have one think you're some kitted up roadie, but it's simply a person who rides a bike, enjoys the hobby, requires the use of one for daily living, by choice, or neccesity, other than that, I don't see how its offensive anywhere in america- aanyway.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
It's really not, a 26" wheel is 559millimeters, a 700c is 622millimeters- those are ISO sizes, modern tires uave both measurements on them, along with the width. Decent to know, so you don't do like I did last month, and buy the wrong size 24" yire fo my girlfriends bike, wondering why it was bigger than the rim.

Just focus on the new standard sizes, so if you go buy tires for your bike, you don'y end up with a 26 3/8 repopped old schwinn tire, that is much bigger than new everyday 26" tires.

I could see how being called a cyclist might have one think you're some kitted up roadie, but it's simply a person who rides a bike, enjoys the hobby, requires the use of one for daily living, by choice, or neccesity, other than that, I don't see how its offensive anywhere in america- aanyway.
Usually, if you say "Bike rider" people think motorcycle. Bike has always been synonymous with Harleys etc. Countless times I've told people I put in 80 miles on the bike and they just look at me like,,,,uh ...ok. Then I mention a bicycle and then it gets more of the

Old 12-24-2014, 11:11 AM

175 posts, read 594,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
The "trend" for a while in MTBs seems to be a move towards 29" wheels/tires instead of the "standard" 26". Being a little cynical, I always thought this might just have some manufacturing/marketing advantage rather than an improvement in the performance of the bike. Has anyone "switched" and has seen real advantages? My current Cannondale has the 24" rear/26" front which does seem to give it really great climbing abilities (despite my legs), so a change in wheel size to 29" might make a difference, but what? Thanks!
RP2C, I'm lucky enough to live in one of the mountain biking mecca's here in Utah. I've been mountain biking for 20 years and currently ride a 26" Santa Cruz Blur. Recently had some friends visit for a week long MTB vacation. Since they were renting bikes, I decided to see what this 29" craze was all about. Having read the bike magazine articles and talked to the bike shops/friends, the advantages of 29" wheels seem significant. The guys at my LBS hooked me up with a Specialized Stumpjumper (probably in the $4K range) based on the trails/terrain we were planning to ride. Here are a few observations:

* While obviously larger, the 29" wheels didn't look/feel as big once I got on the bike. The standover height was similar to my bike.
* I loved the 2x10 gearing. Much better than my 3x9.
* From the bike magazine articles, I was expecting amazing performance on the downhill, nasty stuff. I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. By the 2nd day, we were purposely choosing the absolute worst lines, just to see what the limit was. Didn't happen on the trails we rode (like Gooseberry and JEM). In fact, I took another ride a few weeks later on my Blur and almost biffed it good a number of times - thinking maybe the 29" Stumpy gave me confidence - but the bike just makes a decent rider able to do things they can't on a normal bike.
* I wasn't expecting it, but where the 29" wheel shines the most - on uphill climbs. Out here, we have a ton of 4" - 8" ledges, rocks etc. You normally have to pick you way through a specific line. I sometimes walk sections. With the 29" bike, I soon learned I could just ride up and over them. For me and my buddies, this was our first time on a 29" bike. We all agreed that it feels like your cheating when riding this bike. There was an unsportsman-like feeling.

Bottom Line: There's a reason very few bike companies sell 26ers anymore. For our terrain, the 29er is just ideal. I was told by several shops that their sales are about 80% 29ers, 10% 27.5 and 10% 26er big hit bikes. Sorry, I've not ridden the 27.5 (which is actually closer to 27") - it's better suited for tighter, twisty singletrack than what we have out here. Now I have a problem. Compared to the 29er, I'm disappointed every time I ride my Blur. I don't have the funds to buy a new bike right now, so I almost wish I'd never rented that stinkin bike. Time to get serious saving I guess.

Anyway, hope this helps. Watch for demo days at your LBS and go try one out. Or, rent one like I did. But, be warned - if you do, be better prepared to buy one than I was.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Love my 29r. Have had one now for a year. I'm over six ft and almost 240 lbs, so it just fits better. But I also really do think you get a better ride, especially over very rocky terrain and climbs. It's also nicer if you ever take the bike around in urban areas, which I do quite often. The 29r feels and probably is faster than a standard 26.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:12 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
I doubt that, I had one I put a 48/38/28 crank on, it was still as slow as it was with its original crank. Bigger wheels don't make it faster, your standard 26er can be spun uo faster, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, they still have a place.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 PM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I doubt that, I had one I put a 48/38/28 crank on, it was still as slow as it was with its original crank. Bigger wheels don't make it faster, your standard 26er can be spun uo faster, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, they still have a place.
Um, yes, they do. Nearly every bike in the races we go to now, are 29'ers. (And these are not road bike races - they are mountain bike trail races). I don't know anyone that does NOT prefer the 29" bikes.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:58 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,187 times
Well, they are going to stop making the 26ers soon so your only choice will be the 27.5 and 29.

I rode a Pivot Mach429 carbon (and while we're on the subject who the heck pays an extra $3k for a carbon frame ???)at a demo day a couple of weeks ago. Although it was a very very nice bike, I really didn't see an advantage over my 26er Giant Trance X1 aluminum. First off, I ride trails that challenge me and I noticed right way that the Pivot did not climb as well as my Giant nor did it launch off of jumps and drops like my Giant. I only use my small front chain ring on the steepest of climbs while riding my Giant but when I rode the Pivot I found that I needed to use the small front gear quite often. I admit that the Pivot was faster on the flat portions of the trail so if I were going to enter a cross country race I'd choose the Pivot. The Pivot felt quite a bit larger but I actually kinda liked that aspect of it and I'm only medium height and weight. I think a shorter person might prefer the 26er. I also noticed that the Pivot had more ground clearance.

Last edited by HTY483; 01-20-2015 at 04:29 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Well, they are going to stop making the 26ers soon so your only choice will be the 27.5 and 29.

I rode a Pivot Mach429 carbon (and while we're on the subject who the heck pays an extra $3k for a carbon frame ???)at a demo day a couple of weeks ago. Although it was a very very nice bike, I really didn't see an advantage over my 26er Giant Trance X1 aluminum. First off, I ride trails that challenge me and I noticed right way that the Pivot did not climb as well as my Giant nor did it launch off of jumps and drops like my Giant. I only use my small front chain ring on the steepest of climbs while riding my Giant but when I rode the Pivot I found that I needed to use the small front gear quite often. I admit that the Pivot was faster on the flat portions of the trail so if I were going to enter a cross country race I'd choose the Pivot. The Pivot felt quite a bit larger but I actually kinda liked that aspect of it and I'm only medium height and weight. I think a shorter person might prefer the 26er. I also noticed that the Pivot had more ground clearance.
Well, they'll be making parts for them for quite a while. You can still get 12 speed cassettes and parts. Even 10 speed (5x2).

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Finally got a "real" MTB last year, (have too many road bikes to count). The shop steered me to a 29er. Main advantage they said is that it would roll over stuff that the smaller wheeled bikes wouldn't.

Well . . . after a lifetime of road cycling, I'm pretty much a wimp on the trails and hesitate to roll over anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling