Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

I am 6'7" and fluctuate between the 230's to a max of 250 depending on conditioning and diet.
I bought a good mountain bike years ago(popular style at the time) for a decent buck that seemed to fit me well.
It was a Raleigh M23 if I recall correctly, and it had larger rims and frame to accommodate my size. This bike was still in great condition for over 20 years with only an occasional flat tire to deal with. Unfortunately it was stolen, and even though it was eventually recovered, it was trashed beyond wanting to sink money into it.
So I donated it to a place that fixes them up and gives them to needy kids. Some tall kid is going to enjoy that one.

Anyway, I don't ride a lot but enjoy several long rides now and again. I also use it to keep in shape riding at night and/or helping to train my son (I'm on the bike and he is on foot).
Anyway when not in use I keep it hanging upside down in my garage, so it is safe and secure most of the time. Needless to say this time around whatever I buy, it will have more than just a simple cable lock to secure it when I am out.

I have gotten over the mountain bike stance as it is less comfortable with me being hunched over, and now that I am getting older.
I saw a bike that I liked to look of the riding position, and found out it is a "Giant" brand. The model is a CYPRESS COMFORT HYBRID DX, with a tall frame (XL).
Anyway, I didn't get a chance to ride it, but the guy said it was almost too big for him, and he was 6'2" with the seat almost all the way down. He bought his used and only paid $200 for it, which was music to my ears.
I'd love to find a used bike to save money, but I'd consider a new one so long as I could keep the price under $400

I am by no means stuck on that brand/model, but it did look like the type of bike (riding stance, comfort) I'd like to get in my next bike (I rarely go on trails, so there is no need for a full blown mountain/trail bike).
Any and all suggestions, recommendations will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
It is going to be tough, and I am being very generous, in finding a properly fitted bike "off-the-shelf" so to speak, for less than $400, or for any price for that matter, with you being 6'7". I'm 6'4", just a little feller compared to you. lol. and I ride the largest stock frames, and sometimes they are too small. I ride mainly road bikes with an optimum seat tube length of 61cm x 60cm top tube. That is about as big as you can get without going custom for a few stock manufactures. For MTBs I really need at least 22" (probably an XL) to the top of the seat post which is also the largest size in some frame without going custom, or swapping out a long seat post for a ~330cm and stem ~130cm, and even then they may be a little small. I would seek out the largest 29er and make the modifications if you don't want to go the road bike direction.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:38 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
can't help you on a bike for a tall person specifically, but i did buy the "giant cypress dx" about a year ago and i love it. rode it 20 miles today. i needed comfort, due to a health issue, and this bike fit the bill. while i do plan to return to my road bike at some point, i sure am getting comfortable riding this bike. good luck in your hunt.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:19 PM

235 posts, read 306,939 times
The Cypress is a comfort bike with a very upright riding position. With the help of someone who knows a little about bike fit, you should be able to set the bike up to fit you close enough to enjoy riding it. However, If later on you get serious and start riding long distances several times a week, you will more than likely need a different bike.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the posts and advice thus far.

I went into a bike store and was told I need a minimum of an XL which is supposedly a 21 inch frame. However it was recommended I get an XXL which is supposedly a 23 inch frame.
I don't know much about bikes, but I thought an XL was 23 and an XXL was 25.
Either way I obviously need a larger bike.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Thanks for the posts and advice thus far.

I went into a bike store and was told I need a minimum of an XL which is supposedly a 21 inch frame. However it was recommended I get an XXL which is supposedly a 23 inch frame.
I don't know much about bikes, but I thought an XL was 23 and an XXL was 25.
Either way I obviously need a larger bike.
It just depends on how the manufacturer measures their frames. It is relative withing the brand. If you change brands, all bets are off.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It just depends on how the manufacturer measures their frames. It is relative withing the brand. If you change brands, all bets are off.
That is surprising as most things at least have universal ways of measuring whether it be mattresses and the like.
So to have a Schwin XL be different than a Giant XL makes little sense.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is surprising as most things at least have universal ways of measuring whether it be mattresses and the like.
So to have a Schwin XL be different than a Giant XL makes little sense.
I know! Right? It'd be awesome if manufactures held to some standard across the board. Some manufacturers measure C-C (center to center) of the seat tube while some others measure C-T (center to top) and does that always include the seat tube collar. Then you throw in sloping top tubes. That gives you even more possibilities of measurements taken with the actual C-C or C-T vs virtual C-C or C-T (as if the seat tube was not sloping). Manufacturers aren't even consistent when they measure across their different lines road bikes vs hybrids and mtbs and comfort bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling