Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

No dog in the fight, so I'm not attacking anybody...just curious if there is some "biker ettiquet" concerning this odd sighting.

I've seen now on a few occasions people (maybe it's the same guy) riding their bikes on the street during the evening rush hour and besides being suicidal on their part IMO it really does squirrel up traffic.

Here is the street in question, rider was west-bound on 87th street and the road is 40-45mph there. The guy went fairly fast but not enough to remotely keep up with traffic plus that's a decent incline going over the interstate there.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#s...tbm=lcl&rlha=0

There is a pedestrian path on either side of the street there too.

I've seen this along other parts of 87th as well, there is no bike lane, just a sidewalk.

It's always a lone guy in full spandex on road bikes.

I've seen people at other times like Sunday mornings etc. and groups but those never create an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
You may want to check the laws and regulations as in some cities or counties, it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalks.
I know in NJ, a bicycle is viewed same as a motor vehicle and under the same regulations and rights. Hence, legally, a bicyclist can take the full lane when it deems necessary. However, the etiquette is ride far right as safely as possible.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Well, I probably wouldn't bike on that road, but there appears to be limited options. Maybe the guy lives near there and is trying to bike to a place that is less congested. they need a bike lane, as a sidewalk would be a bad choice. Probably illegal and potentially very dangerous on a sidewalk.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No dog in the fight, so I'm not attacking anybody...just curious if there is some "biker ettiquet" concerning this odd sighting.

I've seen now on a few occasions people (maybe it's the same guy) riding their bikes on the street during the evening rush hour and besides being suicidal on their part IMO it really does squirrel up traffic.

Here is the street in question, rider was west-bound on 87th street and the road is 40-45mph there. The guy went fairly fast but not enough to remotely keep up with traffic plus that's a decent incline going over the interstate there.

It's always a lone guy in full spandex on road bikes.

I've seen people at other times like Sunday mornings etc. and groups but those never create an issue.
I suppose the only reason for metioning his attire is that you were glad it was someone like that as opposed to someone riding a comfort bike sporting cutt-offs, a wife-beater, and flip flops. They would be going even slower.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I suppose the only reason for metioning his attire is that you were glad it was someone like that as opposed to someone riding a comfort bike sporting cutt-offs, a wife-beater, and flip flops. They would be going even slower.
Purpose of mentioning the attire and type of bike is:

-It indicates that he's not commuting to work or the grocery store
-he's a committed rider and as such they might have more experience and different general practices than just some random person on a bike.
-They're out for a ride which brings into question "why then and why there"

P.S. The "sidewalks" over that particular bridge are especially wide and meant to accommodate bike traffic. From roughly where he was he was maybe a 10 minute drive to the "countryside" and could have easily thrown the bike on a car rack and started his ride out there off of major roads at rush hour.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM

Please note that I rarely see this behavior....probably because it's borderline suicidal IMO....just too many dumbarses with their head up their apps while driving.

Since it's so infrequent, I really don't care that much if it's a minor inconvenience, just struck me as a bit bizarre.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Purpose of mentioning the attire and type of bike is:

-It indicates that he's not commuting to work or the grocery store
-he's a committed rider and as such they might have more experience and different general practices than just some random person on a bike.
-They're out for a ride which brings into question "why then and why there"

P.S. The "sidewalks" over that particular bridge are especially wide and meant to accommodate bike traffic. From roughly where he was he was maybe a 10 minute drive to the "countryside" and could have easily thrown the bike on a car rack and started his ride out there off of major roads at rush hour.
I understand all that. We have pretty well known routes that the spandex-clad crowd normally take avoiding main thoroughfares. It's on those main thoroughfares that we would see the other-wise clad because they don't really know of the better suited routes. I had a brand new triathlete, that came at the sport as a runner, ask me to figure the mileage of a route she had created for her early morning training ride. Holy Cow if it wasn't a big loop using only the main thoroughfares. After chiding her for riding on roads we don't ride on because those are for motor vehicles, even though it is legal for her to be on them, I worked out a route for her that would be much more enjoyable for all parties involved. I told her that at that time of morning, people are just trying to get to work, and you are out there "playing." However, if I should happen across one of those spandex covered cyclists on one of those roads, they are usually moving along at a pretty good clip reducing our mutual closing speed, holding their line, and going in the right direction.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:13 PM

568 posts, read 961,805 times
If you value your life and physical well being DONT

Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Some people do commute in their spandex on their road bikes, they keep the clothes at work and change when they get there or they bring their clothes in a backpack or a bag on a rear rack. I know a guy who commutes 40 miles each way on a highway with a lot of traffic...he has a car, but he loves to ride.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some people do commute in their spandex on their road bikes, they keep the clothes at work and change when they get there or they bring their clothes in a backpack or a bag on a rear rack. I know a guy who commutes 40 miles each way on a highway with a lot of traffic...he has a car, but he loves to ride.
Good point. I've seen it so rarely that it can't be a regular thing.

Watched a gal driving her landrover while texting\playing with electronics this AM during a commute down a similar busy street and thought of this thread.

In the space of about 2-3 miles I saw about 3 things she did that would have spelled a trip to the hospital for anyone unfortunate enough to be around her on a bicycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling