Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times

Advertisements

Q. What's the general rule for biking on busy roads?

A. just don't

Haha no seriously, a lot of drivers simply do not see cyclists so you have to make sure they see you.

I suggest high vis, (never, ever bike wearing black, people!) lighting, helmets, keeping wayyy to the L or R (whichever) and campaigning for bike lanes on the roads or trails off road, if you don't already have them, reflective shoes, the works. I would kit myself up like a Christmas Tree these days.

I was a cyclist, way back when, but in a city where a lot of people cycled and folks looked out for them. Most places aren't like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Q. What's the general rule for biking on busy roads?

A. just don't
Yeah, that's the best rule, fortunately here there are plenty of alternate routes to get pretty much anywhere without have to ride on major thoroughfares.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Learn about how to ride in traffic (Effective Cycling by John Forester is a good starting point...wordy and a bit activist but still good. There are plenty of others).

Practice what you learned.

Don’t be an idiot (being right doesn’t mean you’ll live. A car will always win so follow the law but don’t expect it’ll protect you).

Old 09-10-2015, 09:33 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Know which red lights to go through and which GREEN ones to STOP for.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Make sure bike is securely mounted to bike carrier, drive to offroad biking trails and enjoy yourself without ever having to worry about winning an argument with an automobile.
Don't worry about wearing those funky bike helmets, they are not going to protect you from the front end of a Buick.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Make sure bike is securely mounted to bike carrier, drive to offroad biking trails and enjoy yourself without ever having to worry about winning an argument with an automobile.
Don't worry about wearing those funky bike helmets, they are not going to protect you from the front end of a Buick.
Unless of course you are on a road bike.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems to me there is no biker etiquette as bikers live in a world of roadway anarchy they do whatever they like,drive where ever they like ,follow no rules of the road, pay nothing for driving on public thoroughfares and get really peeved if a car gets in their way even though the car is in the right and the biker is in the wrong.
A particular pet peeve of mine is i often have to drive about 15 miles along a local 2 lane road that is next to a river, the city spent much tax payer bucks constructing a nice bike path between river and road, many of the cyclists fail to use the bike path and instead drive on the road,with the bike path right there just 10ft away.I sometimes wonder if bikers enjoy the power-trip of holding up cars.
At least in CA we have these questions on our DL test. It appears you would have failed. I seriously doubt your State's laws are that different than ours.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No dog in the fight, so I'm not attacking anybody...just curious if there is some "biker ettiquet" concerning this odd sighting.

I've seen now on a few occasions people (maybe it's the same guy) riding their bikes on the street during the evening rush hour and besides being suicidal on their part IMO it really does squirrel up traffic.

Here is the street in question, rider was west-bound on 87th street and the road is 40-45mph there. The guy went fairly fast but not enough to remotely keep up with traffic plus that's a decent incline going over the interstate there.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#s...tbm=lcl&rlha=0

There is a pedestrian path on either side of the street there too.

I've seen this along other parts of 87th as well, there is no bike lane, just a sidewalk.

It's always a lone guy in full spandex on road bikes.

I've seen people at other times like Sunday mornings etc. and groups but those never create an issue.
We call em Mamils here

Middle
Aged
Men
In
Lycra

and they are the rats of the road where I live - absolutely everywhere, 5 abreast, 20 a clump, loitering around cafes with their cleats gleaming in the sun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling