Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 PM

360 posts, read 712,741 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm in the market for a new bike, my other one was stolen about a year ago.

I will use it mainly for biking to / from work, which is about 2 miles on flat, pavement. I will also use it for getting to / from the beach, which is about 2 miles on hilly, pavement (not mountains, but definite hills).

I'm in Southern California, so it's pretty much sunny and warm every day... I don't really need to worry about snow, salt, sand, sleet, etc.. Also, I can't see myself needing to transport it very often, if at all.

I'm tempted to get a bike without gears, or maybe just 3 gears, for the hill? I definitely don't need all the bells in whistles.

Budget: $350 - $500 with tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:15 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Hello!
I'm in the market for a new bike, my other one was stolen about a year ago.

I will use it mainly for biking to / from work, which is about 2 miles on flat, pavement. I will also use it for getting to / from the beach, which is about 2 miles on hilly, pavement (not mountains, but definite hills).

I'm in Southern California, so it's pretty much sunny and warm every day... I don't really need to worry about snow, salt, sand, sleet, etc.. Also, I can't see myself needing to transport it very often, if at all.

I'm tempted to get a bike without gears, or maybe just 3 gears, for the hill? I definitely don't need all the bells in whistles.

Budget: $350 - $500 with tax.
7.0 FX - Trek Bicycle

Old 09-26-2015, 05:16 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Get yourself a hybrid. You have hills so get on with gearing, preferably a 2x10. One other thing, go to a bike shop and get a bike that fits you.

Last edited by trlhiker; 09-26-2015 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 06:39 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Instead of gears you could also split the money between the bike and a economical electric motor.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:46 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Do not get a fixed gear bike unless you are already in good shape or plan on using it to the point you will be. Fixed gear bikes are just too much effort for most people and they will quit cycling.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times
I think it depends on what type of cycling you envision doing most? For example, if you enjoy more sportive riding off-road on unpaved paths and trails with only the occasional commute to work, the Trek mentioned several posts above would be a good option. Or if you see yourself wanting more of a drop-bar racing bike for longer, sport rides that's another option.

However, if you are planning to use the bike primarily for commuting to and from work and, again, depending on what you plan to wear while riding, a more upright model of bike with at least 3 speeds might be the best option. I say this, because I've found that the standard 'hybrid' geometry you see on most Treks and Specialized bikes lends itself to being a bit more pitched forward and most hybrid bikes are sold without some of the more practical considerations like fenders and luggage racks. Typically the tires are mountain bike tires, which is great for off-road, but can be unnecessary if you plan to stick to level pavement.

For the budget range you mention, something like the Linus Roadster might be a good option, for under $400:

RAMBLER 7 - Linus Bike

Again, everyone's aesthetic preferences differ, but if I'm commuting to work, I like something that's fairly upright so I can see the surrounding traffic, is fairly responsive and quick, can handle moderate hills (typical 3 speed gearing) and allows me to get to work wearing my ordinary work clothes. Features like fenders and luggage allow me to just hop on and ride without worrying about negotiating backpacks or hitting a puddle.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
The bike you "should get" is the one that you feel most comfortable on and has the gearing/geometry/suspension/tires and luggage racks (if needed) that will accomodate you and your gear for work or beach travels.

IMO, the best way to find that combination and be fitted properly to a bike for your needs will be to visit a bike shop (or two or three) with knowledgeable sales staff who can offer you "test rides" on the various bikes that they'll have on hand. Ride at least several to zero in on a target type/style bike, and ride them each for at least 2-5 miles before making any decision. Bear in mind that every bike will be a set of compromises, so look for the set that you're comfortable with for your riding style and needs.

Don't overlook buying a used bike that meets your needs if the bike shops have these on hand. You may find a better quality/equipped bike in your price range that is perfectly serviceable for your requirements. A few chips in the paint, some worn decals, and a couple of scratches are not bicycle killers ... and even your new bike will have these in time without affecting performance. Properly serviced and maintained, high quality bikes are fit for many years and miles of service.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:29 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
I will go with the hybrid bike recommendation. Given the type of riding you describe, and how you describe yourself, I think that will be a good fit.

It IS important to get a good fit, but less so in a hybrid bike than in a sport bike. You won't likely be using clip-in pedals - you will probably be riding platform pedals in street shoes.

So, knowing what will fit you would be very useful. But as for actually buying a bike, ebay will be cheaper than your local bicycle shop (LBS). But you DO have to know something about what you are looking at!

Oh - and USED bikes will often provide you with a very good value for your bucks.

I am all in favor of supporting your LBS. But sometimes price comes first. Then ebay and Craigslist rule. I always try to find some way to still support my LBS. After all, you can't get advice from ebay and CL.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM

569 posts, read 552,445 times
If it was for the communal tesks, be sure you got the dirt shields for the tires. So your suits might not be ruined with the splashing.

There were two types of the bikes for you to choose from: 1.Mt. Bike 2.Highway Bike

The Highway bikes were structured for their narrow tires, that provided the high cruising speeds on the designated pavements. They were more artificial. And they were more expensive.

The another types of the Mt. Bike were for the rough terrains. They were more durable, but harder to paddle. The shopping mall versions would provide you a good deal.

So if you were for the sophistications, you would rather go for the Highway Bikes. They would save you from the sore legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling