Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM
yam yam started this thread

228 posts, read 887,434 times

Advertisements

I got a Trek Lync5 commuter bike about six months ago. Since then, I've had three different incidents where spokes have popped as I was riding. Each time, two or three spokes have failed. Some have been at the nipple and some have been at the hub. My riding pattern includes a daily commute to work and gym (total about eight miles) on roads and improved trails. The bike store says I'm just too big for the bike, at about 230 lbs, but I don't think this explains the problem. I've never had spokes break before, and now on this bike it's happened three times in just a few months of riding with a pretty easy usage pattern.

What could be causing the spokes to break so often? I need to fix this problem asap because it's making my commute very expensive and unpredictable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
I got a Trek Lync5 commuter bike about six months ago. Since then, I've had three different incidents where spokes have popped as I was riding. Each time, two or three spokes have failed. Some have been at the nipple and some have been at the hub. My riding pattern includes a daily commute to work and gym (total about eight miles) on roads and improved trails. The bike store says I'm just too big for the bike, at about 230 lbs, but I don't think this explains the problem. I've never had spokes break before, and now on this bike it's happened three times in just a few months of riding with a pretty easy usage pattern.

What could be causing the spokes to break so often? I need to fix this problem asap because it's making my commute very expensive and unpredictable!
Really? 230# is too heavy? That is hard to believe. The specs on the wheels from the TREK website are limited regarding the wheel construction but I do see 32 spoke 3x construction which "should" suffice for commuting unless you are aiming for every pothole. Otherwise, I would get the wheels re-tensioned. These wheels were most likely machine built and shipped without human hands doing any followup fine tuning.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
I agree with the re-tensioning advice. If it's a 32 spoke wheel, you can't go more than 3x (and you'd need new spokes anyway). This may sound obvious, but make sure of 2 things: that those spokes are "interlaced" and that if the hub has alternating chamfering, that the spokes are in the right way. It sounds like you are getting a lot of movement at the flange.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Quote:
The bike store says I'm just too big for the bike, at about 230 lbs
Is that the same store where you bought the bike? If so, I'd have to ask why they sold you a bike who's wheels are not up to your weight. Regardless, they should really stand behind what they sold you.

230 is on the heavy side but nothing that a standard commuting wheel should have trouble with. So sure, like the others say, see about re-tentioning but you really shouldn’t have to – the shop should correct this issue IMO.

Best of luck

Old 04-06-2016, 12:32 PM

Been having trouble getting help from the local shop. I'll ping the manager again and see if I can get a response this time.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Go to another shop if he won't help you.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Ditto on going to another shop. Retensioning or having a pro retension your wheel is a start. After that discuss getting a new wheel.

Of course you could always get a new bike. But I would go to a shop where you felt like you would get good service to buy the new bike.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Is that the same store where you bought the bike? If so, I'd have to ask why they sold you a bike who's wheels are not up to your weight. Regardless, they should really stand behind what they sold you.

230 is on the heavy side but nothing that a standard commuting wheel should have trouble with. So sure, like the others say, see about re-tentioning but you really shouldn’t have to – the shop should correct this issue IMO.

Best of luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Go to another shop if he won't help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Ditto on going to another shop. Retensioning or having a pro retension your wheel is a start. After that discuss getting a new wheel.

Of course you could always get a new bike. But I would go to a shop where you felt like you would get good service to buy the new bike.
If the wheel is 3x (3 cross), and properly built, then they should stand up to your weight easily. I repeat, EASILY. If these are factory wheels, and you bought the bike from a bike store, then I think we can assume the spokes are properly interlaced. They may not be properly tensioned. With new(ish) spokes and rims, if I started to see breakage, the first thing I would look at would be the spoke tensioning. A round of retensioning spokes all the way around would not be out of place.

But you know, what you say, about the shop saying you are too heavy for the wheels? THAT raises red flags in my mind, that whomever said this was blowing you off. I don't care if the spokes are 14g straight spokes, at 3x you should have no problems with a properly built wheel. Maybe the whole wheel is UNDERtensioned - this might cause breakage like you describe.

Maybe the wheels were built with an off-brand set of spokes (highly unlikely, but JIC), and the batch used was faulty. Maybe the spokes on this wheel were damaged somehow. IDK, all these alternate explanations are all conjecture. I'm not there looking at your wheels, nor talking to your bike shop mechanics. The KISS explanation is like I've said - the wheel needs some proper attention paid to truing and tensioning. No more than that (and maybe a few new spokes).

Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM

Finally got a response from the bike store. They say they tensioned the spokes at my tuneup a few months ago (after the first spoke breaking incident but before the second and third). They're going to swap out the wheel with a 36-spoke wheel that they think will hold up better. Not sure that the wheel itself is the problem - all the discussion seems to be indicating a spoke tension issue. But I suppose if they think this will fix the problem then I'll give it a try.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Finally got a response from the bike store. They say they tensioned the spokes at my tuneup a few months ago (after the first spoke breaking incident but before the second and third). They're going to swap out the wheel with a 36-spoke wheel that they think will hold up better. Not sure that the wheel itself is the problem - all the discussion seems to be indicating a spoke tension issue. But I suppose if they think this will fix the problem then I'll give it a try.
if it doesn't you could get these.

Vuelta Corsa HD Road Wheelset

These are my night riding wheels, 36 3x 14 straight gauged for Clydesdales. I've got 40 lbs on you - these would be overkill for someone your weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling