Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,406,022 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to throw out an idea or two...or three...

You CAN install a quick release front wheel onto an existing bike frame, but you'll need the right frame and you'll probably need to buy an entire custom-built wheel. Better options are to either buy a bike that already has a quick release wheel or buy a bike rack that fits on the back of your vehicle. Even with quick release wheels on my bikes, I'd have bought a bike rack if I didn't already just throw my bike into the back of my pickup truck. The one time I had to transport my hybrid bike in the trunk of my car, it was a rather unhappy/frustrating experience, having to remove both wheels and keep the chain in order while fitting the bike into the trunk.

Buy a helmet and wear it. A new one that's been fitted for you, not something off of Craigslist. No one thinks that they need a helmet because everyone is convinced that he/she is an excellent bicyclist. The one time I received the maximum benefit for wearing my helmet was when another bicyclist blew thru a stop sign at 30 mph and t-boned me from the blind side. I literally bounced the back of my head off the pavement twice.

One more thing...

I've never owned one of these Montague folding bikes, but I've always been intrigued by them.

Last edited by djmilf; 05-19-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
If you do not have front and rear quick releases, you will have to have different axles in order to fit them. For most people this would translate to buying different wheels. A more realistic solution (it sounds like you are talking about putting it in the car) is to buy a box wrench that fits the wheel nut(s) - front and rear may be different sizes - and keep it in the car.

You should not go out on a bike ride longer than you can comfortably walk back from, unless you have a tool kit that at a minimum contains what you need to fix a flat, and a pump. If you have a flat and are carrying the tool kit, it delays you about 10 minutes. If you don't, it's a huge pain. Most people buy a little bag that attaches under the saddle and holds a small tool kit, plus your keys and (nowadays) a cell phone.

If you don't know how to fix a flat bike tire, find someone who does and have them show you.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:05 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
And don't ride on a tire that is showing the threads. I made that mistake several years ago ('cause i didn't know what those tan streaks were going across the tread), and I shocked to hear a noise like a gun firing behind me. I blew out the rear tire! Luckily I was only a short walk from my car, but I ended up having to replace the tire!

Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I'm just going to throw out an idea or two...or three...

You CAN install a quick release front wheel onto an existing bike frame, but you'll need the right frame and you'll probably need to buy an entire custom-built wheel. Better options are to either buy a bike that already has a quick release wheel or buy a bike rack that fits on the back of your vehicle. Even with quick release wheels on my bikes, I'd have bought a bike rack if I didn't already just throw my bike into the back of my pickup truck. The one time I had to transport my hybrid bike in the trunk of my car, it was a rather unhappy/frustrating experience, having to remove both wheels and keep the chain in order while fitting the bike into the trunk.

Buy a helmet and wear it. A new one that's been fitted for you, not something off of Craigslist. No one thinks that they need a helmet because everyone is convinced that he/she is an excellent bicyclist. The one time I received the maximum benefit for wearing my helmet was when another bicyclist blew thru a stop sign at 30 mph and t-boned me from the blind side. I literally bounced the back of my head off the pavement twice.

One more thing...

I've never owned one of these Montague folding bikes, but I've always been intrigued by them.
I worked in a Bike Shop on Long Island NY for about 15 years (quite a while ago!). We sold a good number of the Montague folding bikes. (We also sold DAHON folders which are much smaller). The bike "folds" at the seat tubes: There is basically one tube inside the other with a couple of releases (as I recall). Front wheel comes off, bars turn and that's pretty much it. what was nice about the bike was that it really had conventional components so was easy to service and customize. You could buy a large bag to carry it in also.

Last edited by RP2C; 05-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
Go to a good local bike shop and try different ones out and get a good education as to what types of bikes there are and how it feels to ride them.
I've ridden and owned most types-road, hybrid, mountain, comfort, cruiser, and recumbent bikes and trikes-and have recently found my bliss on an Electra Townie 21D. It's a combination cruiser/hybrid/recumbent bike feel and it's perfect for bike path or packed dirt/crushed limestone trails. Lots of cool accessories and no pain in shoulders, arms, hands. No, I don't work for them. I just think it's a great all around leisure bike.
While you are at the shop learn about the different types of bike racks for your vehicle. Lots of choices.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:27 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
$150 bike is probably not going to be adjustable. I found it important to have a bike sized for me. Cheaper bikes do not allow you to make adjustments.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Always spring for quick-release. Even better would be quick release on front and back - makes changing tires or fixing flats a lot easier. I transport my bike in the back of my car, too, I have a PT Cruiser, so I just fold up the back seat, pop off the front wheel, and roll the bike in at an angle as far to the front as it will go, and lean the front wheel up against the inside wall of the car. Much better and safer than a bike rack.
That depends. If I had quick release, my tires would be gone in 15 minutes. I ride my bike as a transportation option and park on the street. Bike theft id common. I see a lot of one wheeled bikes at the train station.

If you plan to park and leave it for more than a few minutes our of your view, quick release is not a good idea!

Old 05-25-2017, 10:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You should not go out on a bike ride longer than you can comfortably walk back from, unless you have a tool kit that at a minimum contains what you need to fix a flat, and a pump. If you have a flat and are carrying the tool kit, it delays you about 10 minutes. If you don't, it's a huge pain. Most people buy a little bag that attaches under the saddle and holds a small tool kit, plus your keys and (nowadays) a cell phone.

If you don't know how to fix a flat bike tire, find someone who does and have them show you.
I'd amend this statement. Do not go out on a bike ride without a back up plan on how you will get back if your bike has a mechanical issue you can't resolve or don't have the tools to resolve. Your backup plan may be a ride from a loved one/friend, a walk, a bus, a train or a bike shop.

I don't know how to fix a flat. I am OK with that. I bike further than I can walk. I know where loads of bike shops are, train stations with bike lockers and the bus routes that get me home.

I did get a flat one day before an organized ride. Sadly my tire didn't get repaired. But I locked my bike in a locker at the train station, and took my bike to my favorite shop the next day. I took the bus home. It was sad not to have my bike, but no big deal. I walked about 1/2 mile with my bike.

The bike trail I take often is close to a few train stations, and there is a bike shop on the midway point. The ride to the trail takes me past maybe 5 bike shops depending on which street I take. Lots of options for a repair.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd amend this statement. Do not go out on a bike ride without a back up plan on how you will get back if your bike has a mechanical issue you can't resolve or don't have the tools to resolve. Your backup plan may be a ride from a loved one/friend, a walk, a bus, a train or a bike shop.

I don't know how to fix a flat. I am OK with that. I bike further than I can walk. I know where loads of bike shops are, train stations with bike lockers and the bus routes that get me home.

I did get a flat one day before an organized ride. Sadly my tire didn't get repaired. But I locked my bike in a locker at the train station, and took my bike to my favorite shop the next day. I took the bus home. It was sad not to have my bike, but no big deal. I walked about 1/2 mile with my bike.

The bike trail I take often is close to a few train stations, and there is a bike shop on the midway point. The ride to the trail takes me past maybe 5 bike shops depending on which street I take. Lots of options for a repair.
Sure sounds like an awful lot of trouble compared to yanking off the wheel, removing the tire, putting on the spare tube, reinstalling the tire, and pumping up. 5, maybe 10 minutes at most and full functionality restored.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Sure sounds like an awful lot of trouble compared to yanking off the wheel, removing the tire, putting on the spare tube, reinstalling the tire, and pumping up. 5, maybe 10 minutes at most and full functionality restored.

Plus, if you know how to do basic repairs like fixing a flat, you can ride places where there aren't nearby bike shops, cab stands, bus stops, etc., right on your route.

Maybe it's a generational thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling