Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,900,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temps1 View Post
People used to ask me why I rode on the opposite side of the road (Cars facing you)

I was scared to ride with cars behind me.... You wouldnt know if someone came swearving towards you until its too late most likely..... With the cars coming towards you,you can jump off your bike/get out of the way hopefully before they hit!!

I dunno...... I just felt safer seeing what was on the road..... (Or who I mean)
You mean besides the obvious, it's against the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:35 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,897,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

There you have the primary reason, IMO, why people ride without mirrors: No legislative body, at any level, has ever felt the need to make such mirrors mandatory, therefore they must not be truly "necessary". Why spend the money unless the law requires it?

Then again, since many riders are apparently unaware (or just don't care) whether they are "pedestrians" or "vehicles", it is no wonder they seemingly do not care about traffic laws!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,172,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temps1 View Post
People used to ask me why I rode on the opposite side of the road (Cars facing you)

I was scared to ride with cars behind me.... You wouldnt know if someone came swearving towards you until its too late most likely..... With the cars coming towards you,you can jump off your bike/get out of the way hopefully before they hit!!

I dunno...... I just felt safer seeing what was on the road..... (Or who I mean)
This is what we call being a bicycle salmon. It is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bicycle, because at EVERY SINGLE intersection, driveway, sidewalk intersection, etc., you are coming from a direction where motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians never expect a 10+ mph vehicle to be coming from.

Please stop doing this. I do not want to run into you or have you run into me with one or both of us potentially suffering serious injuries.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 PM

21,664 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Personally I don't understand how anyone can ride a bike without a mirror, whether it be attached to the bike or your helmet (unless you don't wear one of those which is another story).

Riding at times 20+ MPH on the streets, you would think you'd like to have a good view around you. Do you want to turn your head while going at speed to see what's coming, taking your eyes away from in front of you? If you're coming up to an "issue" in front of you, it's nice to quickly glance at what's behind you to see if you can move into the road safely. If you can afford a bike you can afford $10-$20 on a mirror, so money isn't an excuse.

For those of you without a mirror, curious why you don't feel it's an important feature to have. I certainly wouldn't have a bike without one. Would you drive a car without one?
I'm used to it.

Back when I used to commute, I did use a helmet mirror. Mostly that was just so I'd know if something like a Prius snuck up behind me and was waiting to pass on a narrow residential road where I take the lane.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 PM

21,664 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Screw the law.

I'd be much more concerned about that it's a great way to maximize the chances of a car pulling out in front of you at an intersection. That's always been my greatest fear as a motorcyclist, slightly less so as a cyclist due to the lower speeds but still a great one. I wouldn't even blame a car for pulling out in front of me if I was salmon riding.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:33 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,900,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Screw the law.

I'd be much more concerned about that it's a great way to maximize the chances of a car pulling out in front of you at an intersection. That's always been my greatest fear as a motorcyclist, slightly less so as a cyclist due to the lower speeds but still a great one. I wouldn't even blame a car for pulling out in front of me if I was salmon riding.
Yes, I'm sure before the law was written they didn't think it through as throughly as you did.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 AM

1,829 posts, read 3,164,341 times
I used a mirror on my handlebars when my son was young and riding behind me. I could keep track of him that way. I don't use a mirror now, but I don't ride in streets in traffic because so many people are texting, or talking on their phones while driving. It's just too dangerous. I stick to trails and bike paths and some side streets that have very limited traffic. From what I recall, the mirror didn't provide much of a view as it was fairly small and it was often not in adjustment, or getting bumped.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,107,545 times
What's behind me does not matter :-)

Never used a mirror, never felt the need. If I need to know what's behind me I glance back.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 AM

44,548 posts, read 61,249,428 times
Riding a bike with no rear view mirror. Why

Death wish...

Old 08-17-2018, 08:26 AM

1,858 posts, read 1,634,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What's behind me does not matter :-)

Never used a mirror, never felt the need. If I need to know what's behind me I glance back.
Franco's first rule of Italian driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling