Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 09:25 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times

Advertisements

I understand these are becoming more popular and they seem relaxing to ride. Does anyone have one? I guess they used to be for seniors but that may be an outmoded stereotype.

If you've use one -what are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 06:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
There are probably still one or two makers, probably in Britain, making racing tricycles. In the 70s that would have been Reynolds 531 and Campagnolo; today they're probably carbon fiber and whatever's the top Shimano gruppo (or Campy).

I have been told that tricycles handle strangely and non-intuitively, especially in high speed curves with odd camber changes; also have been told that in actual practice a great deal of the time tricycle riders spend up to two wheels.

Frankly, I can't see the advantage over two wheelers except for someone with severe balance problems (as, my former classmate who suffered severe brain damage in a car accident including frequent minor seizures - he can't drive a car or ride a bicycle but can ride a trike as his cardiovascular system is fine).

Old 01-19-2021, 03:49 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Yes, adult trikes are very useful, especially as our balance skills become diminished, for whatever reason. Lately, I've seen trikes with electric "helper" motors to assist in hill climbs. Trikes are also useful in short trips to the store for grog.

A couple things, are not so good.

1. Forget trying to put a trike on a bus or train for a commute. They're just not set-up for 3 wheelers, room wise.

2. Theft, as there aren't any racks made to accept 3-wheelers. Anyone can take off, on a trike.

3. Riders that are "used to" 2-wheelers get surprised by the width behind them. Sometimes with spectacular results.

4. Increased risk from cars/trucks/buses, due to unusual vehicle wheel arrangement.

There are some things that trikes ARE good for though.

1. Carrying heavy/cumbersome cargo.

2. People with diminished balance can still ride.

3. It keeps people riding longer. (Improving cardio, hopefully.)

Old 01-19-2021, 04:58 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
Thanks- I thought they would be less likely to be hit by motor vehicles as being wider they are more visible.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:09 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Good commentary on what to look for in an adult trike. Many of their selected models are not available, but there is an interest checklist towards the end of the article.

https://www.gearhungry.com/best-adult-tricycle/

Old 01-25-2021, 08:37 AM

574 posts, read 299,283 times
Not sure if you're asking about an upright trike or a recumbent model. Recumbent trikes typically position the rider in a more reclined position. You can get them in a casual model all the way up to racing versions made of carbon. My wife and I have Catrike Expedition trikes and love them. I'm 60 and she's 58. She has knee issues so it's a much better ride for her verses a 2 wheeler. There are many FB groups with lots of information and tips, but it really comes down to what you want to do and how much you want to spend. If you want to pedal around a neighborhood at slower speeds an upright is probably for you. If you want to do longer rides and like to go fast check out recumbents. We have flags and lights on our trikes so vehicles have no problem seeing us. Out in the country people think it's okay to let their dogs roam and I personally like being at eye level if/when they decide to chase. I also have a carbon frame road bike and I promise the Catrike is more comfortable after 50 miles. They call road bikes a$$ hatchets for a reason. Best thing to do is make time to ride every type you're considering before pulling the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling