Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 05:47 PM

10 posts, read 4,961 times

Advertisements

So, here in Central Texas it's been in the high 90s lately. I've been doing my regular running schedule...four days a week, about 20 miles total. The exertion level is obviously higher in heat indexes of mid 90s. I've always thought this is good conditioning and will make running a race in moderate temps easier...thus bettering my times.
But is running in high heat really worth it? Or does it tax your system more than it helps? What's your take on this, runners? What's the highest temps you will train in? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 06:34 PM

1,161 posts, read 460,099 times
20 miles spread over 4 runs in the high 90's is pretty extreme. The standard advice, which is quite accurate, is that the "running temperature" is 20 degrees higher than the ambient temperature. So you're effectively running in almost 120 degree heat. I would say that was borderline dangerous.

Another standard piece of advice is that when the temperature is above 80, run strictly for fun.

As a native Arizonan, I have occasionally run in the 90's, but seldom more than 3 miles even when I was doing 20-mile Sunday runs. It makes far more sense to get out there in the early morning or evening if you can.

I really don't think there are any meaningful training benefits to running in the high heat.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:52 PM

5,671 posts, read 11,227,287 times
I don't jog or run much anymore, but I bike ride 3 or 4 days a week. Here in AZ during the warm weather season, I get up before 5 am and have wheels turning shortly after 5 am. I get home usually a little after 8 am. I don't like to exercise when the air temp is above 80F/27C, and this schedule lets me avoid the heat, most of the time.

This morning before sunrise the temp was around 68F/20C with no wind and very dry, so it felt crisp and cool. It was refreshing, and stayed like that the first hour of my ride. After 7 am the sun started to warm it up quick, but it was still fine with the low sun angle.

I'm age 65, so I don't mess around with putting my body under too much stress from overheating. Exercise induced stress and overheating can be fatal, especially for those of us who are not so young any more.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:34 PM

1,161 posts, read 460,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I'm age 65, so I don't mess around with putting my body under too much stress from overheating. Exercise induced stress and overheating can be fatal, especially for those of us who are not so young any more.
I'm 5 years older than you, so at least he's getting the Arizona old farts' perspective (wisdom?)!

Old 06-07-2020, 11:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 8,346,577 times
its worth it to the doctor that will treat you for heat exhaustion.

Sorry but there are other methods to keep active without jeopardizing your health.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,181,995 times
If you gradually acclimate yourself to heat, you can do physical exercise in much hotter temperatures than you might think.

Phoenix is actually easier for a Texan, because the low humidity makes it feel less extreme.

I'm from Dallas (noted as one of the most severe combinations of temperature and humidity in the US) and when in really good shape I've run 5 milers at lunch in August with temps in the high 90s. But you don't do that unless you've been doing it a long long time. In my 20s I also did a lot of bike rides of 70-110 miles in similar temperatures.

In my late 50s I mostly run early in the morning, but I am confident that if I was carrying 20-30 lbs less and was used to it, I could go in mid-day. Lots and lots of water is key.

At any rate, the very important thing here is to build up gradually, take it easier than you would think, and be prepared to call a halt if you start to feel overheated. You should plan your routes with escape hatches (for example, a figure 8 with your house in the center, so you can just do half the distance if it turns out you're not up to it).

Old 06-09-2020, 10:20 AM

10,284 posts, read 10,526,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you gradually acclimate yourself to heat, you can do physical exercise in much hotter temperatures than you might think.

Phoenix is actually easier for a Texan, because the low humidity makes it feel less extreme.

I'm from Dallas (noted as one of the most severe combinations of temperature and humidity in the US) and when in really good shape I've run 5 milers at lunch in August with temps in the high 90s. But you don't do that unless you've been doing it a long long time. In my 20s I also did a lot of bike rides of 70-110 miles in similar temperatures.

In my late 50s I mostly run early in the morning, but I am confident that if I was carrying 20-30 lbs less and was used to it, I could go in mid-day. Lots and lots of water is key.

At any rate, the very important thing here is to build up gradually, take it easier than you would think, and be prepared to call a halt if you start to feel overheated. You should plan your routes with escape hatches (for example, a figure 8 with your house in the center, so you can just do half the distance if it turns out you're not up to it).
I agree with this post. I'm from the Pittsburgh area and we don't get many hot days. (It is supposed to be 93 today, which only happens a few times a year.) When I would visit Tampa or Orlando in the summer, I found that I could still continue running by slowly acclimating to the heat. I would also try to run either early in the morning or late in the day, but it was still hot and humid. Five mile runs are definitely doable in the heat, but longer runs can cause you to dehydrate and you will feel wiped out for the rest of the day while your body slowly rehydrates. Carry a water bottle and/or running by water fountains can definitely help

Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,651,876 times
I've done a lot of running in Central Texas. If you limit yourself 90F or less to run, you won't be doing a lot of running. In heat, I think it is extremely important that you get to know your body and learn to tap out of runs when you feel yourself overheating.

It would take me about 2 weeks to get conditioned to the heat and I could comfortably run in 96F or less. For whatever reason, when it hit 97 I could only go for short runs 2-3 miles. If you feel yourself overheating, you have to stop running and let your body cool itself down.

In the short term, I did feel very good when I did races at 8 a.m., in the summer, and it was only 85 degrees. All that blood that was used for getting rid of body heat at 95 degrees is now available to bring oxygen to your muscles.

However, there have been studies done that show that conditioning due to running in the heat is minimal at best. If you run at cooler times, you can run faster. So while running in the heat helps you run better in the heat, it hasn't been shown to improve race times dramatically when the temperature is cooler.

In my opinion, from years of running in 90 degree weather, I think the risks outweigh the benefits and running in mid 90s or above taxes your body in the long run. Running in Texas, you can't avoid running in the heat and might as well acclimatize your body to it. However, I would look for cooler parts of the day to run if possible. Once I got older, my favorite time of the day to run in Texas in the summer was from 8-9 p.m. or 7-8 a.m.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:15 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,620,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Kilo View Post
So, here in Central Texas it's been in the high 90s lately. I've been doing my regular running schedule...four days a week, about 20 miles total. The exertion level is obviously higher in heat indexes of mid 90s. I've always thought this is good conditioning and will make running a race in moderate temps easier...thus bettering my times.
But is running in high heat really worth it? Or does it tax your system more than it helps? What's your take on this, runners? What's the highest temps you will train in? Thanks!
I lived in Austin for a year. The downtown lake has numerous runners. Many are active in the morning or at sundown in the summer. That compromise is more realistic to stay safe and avoid heat stroke. I do the same in Phoenix - run before 10AM or at sundown when the heat waves are deflected off the earth's surface. Hence, it doesn't feel as bad.

About once every week or two I challenge myself and go up Piestewa Peak in Central Phoenix at about 100F or a little higher. The heat is insane, but the local hikers acclimatize and bring enough water. It's like hiking a staircase for 30 minutes up a jagged mountainside.

Austin had Mt. Bonnell which was also a very good training area for hill climbing. I ran the Town Lake then up Exposition Blvd. and veered towards that staircase up at the top. It got pretty steep too. I used to do 13-16 mile runs in that route going around the lakes and north to Mt. Bonnell. In the summer, I would cut it in half and bring water. In a worst case scenario, one could just dive into the lake - lol. I saw those teens dive off the bridges in the summer. There is also a small natural pool and waterfall/rapids south of the lake somewhat hidden from the main circular route. But local Texans know exactly where it is.

Now that gyms have reopened I train indoors again but wipe down the handles, seats, etc. It's a must these days.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:38 PM

26,155 posts, read 21,396,009 times
You can ease into it and acclimate. I’ve run through Houston summers for years and you simply have to pay attention . Stay on top of your hydration and nutrition taking into account calories/electrolytes especially if you are extending time and duration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals