U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM

555 posts, read 427,395 times
Default Catching cold from the environment

Doctors and others tell me I must have been exposed to someone with the cold virus to catch a cold. I am not sure that is exactly true.

There are several environmental factors that have always, over many years, resulted in me catching a cold:

1. Sitting in a draft
2. Being inside in a cold room.
3. Having a few drops of rain fall on my head or neck

I just caught a cold this weekend in my own apartment because the temperature was a few degrees less than 80 degrees. My heater is not working well enough to warm the place up to 80, so I now use a space heater.

It must be that I always have a dormant cold virus in me that is activated by these environmental factors, but no one puts it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,871,059 times
Colds are caused by viruses, not being in cold weather or getting cold. However, that being said, I have read that the cold virus will spread more easily in cold, dry weather. Also, cold, dry weather dries out the inside of the nose helping the virus to take hold.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM

233 posts, read 332,331 times
I like how cmacf1 answered that...no bs..

it is true though, my grandmother used to tell me similar things, i do know that if it is too cold i might get sick to where i vomit...this sucks its happened to me many times...

Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 AM

6,961 posts, read 16,176,594 times
Whenever your resistance is lowered by getting chilled, overheated, dried out, or whatever......you will be less likely to be able to resist getting a cold. Some people just seem to "catch" germs a lot easier than others.

I had my last cold in the mid 1970s. It was the first one for me in years. I just don't have colds. I get chilled, overheated, overtired, but it does not seem to give me a cold. I have lived in cold houses, overheated houses, worked around scads of people with colds.....but the cold germ doesn't like me. Don't know why. But I am thankful.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 AM

4,508 posts, read 3,178,257 times
I’m retired - but I do work seasonally making flu vaccine. I have been exposed to the live viruses; as well as many coworkers. Most of us never have any problems. That does not mean that we don’t catch the flu or colds. It is just that some people never get sick - regardless of what they are exposed to.

As far as getting sick because you get rained on or the temperatures are to cold: The OP seems to feel that it is very important to stay warm and dry. It could be psychosomatic? The stress, of thinking you are going to catch a cold, could give you a cold or weaken your immune system: http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/f/psychosomatic.htm Or; it could just be how strong is each individual’s immune system?

I have had many jobs that I was either cold or wet. We even keep our house at 68 and my wife very rarely gets sick. I don’t get sick that much; even with the colder temperatures and working in an environment that exposes me to germs and viruses.

We would find 80 degrees very uncomfortable - same as the OP would find 68 uncomfortable.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM

7,548 posts, read 8,522,769 times
How is your vitamin D level? I have found that when I take my D3 supplement I don't get sick hardly at all, and even allergies are a non-issue these days and I had really bad ones. Some researchers believe that the reason why colds and flu are so prevalent during the cold months is b/c we spend more time indoors and get less D during that time.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:50 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,570,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
How is your vitamin D level? I have found that when I take my D3 supplement I don't get sick hardly at all, and even allergies are a non-issue these days and I had really bad ones. Some researchers believe that the reason why colds and flu are so prevalent during the cold months is b/c we spend more time indoors and get less D during that time.
I agree...vitamon D is a huge player in a very healthy immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals